Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Twin cooled

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Clayton24
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
If you are talking "wet head" at 10:1 but replacing the OEM head gasket with a .030" head gasket with a set of Andrews 57 cams CCP will be about 200psi and corrected compression about 9.6. That is about as far as I would go with that cam but others may disagree.
what is your thoughts of bein able to get away with 205 or 210 ccp ? Will the cooler running heads help any or should i not go that high ?

Old 11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayton24
what is your thoughts of bein able to get away with 205 or 210 ccp ? Will the cooler running heads help any or should i not go that high ?
I would keep it between 195-200psi. I am not that familiar with typical head temps on the twin cooled models; not sure they run that much cooler than the air heads. Another issue to consider is corrected compression. I don't like to go much beyond 9.6:1; I don't believe the "risk/reward" relation ship is balanced in my favor. IAW, I don't see pushing the envelope to gain a marginal increase in performance is worth the risk of problems that might come with it. I would rather ride a bike with 110/120 numbers that work on one with 115/125 numbers. Comprende?

I am not Hispanic so am I guilty of "cultural appropriation"?

Last edited by djl; 11-29-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:05 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

A couple of question for you. What is the tuning strategy? Do you plan on taking trips or will you always be getting fuel at a good known source? What fuel do you have in your area? Can you set the compression for a .030 and change to a thicker one if needed?

Old 11-29-2017, 11:10 PM
Clayton24
Club Member

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
A couple of question for you. What is the tuning strategy? Do you plan on taking trips or will you always be getting fuel at a good known source? What fuel do you have in your area? Can you set the compression for a .030 and change to a thicker one if needed?
my trips aren’t that far i should always be able to run 93 octane and my compression figures are with a .030 Thats one reason for pushing the ccp so high cause i realy wanna try the set up i have in mind and wanna have a pretty tight quench with the .030 head gasket to see the out come. And i realy wanna try to bring more low end out of the 57h’s i am running now ! Fwiw i always ride solo and the tour pack is removed for looks and wieght reduction . Thanks for all info!

Old 11-29-2017, 11:21 PM
Clayton24
Club Member

Originally Posted by djl
I would keep it between 195-200psi. I am not that familiar with typical head temps on the twin cooled models; not sure they run that much cooler than the air heads. Another issue to consider is corrected compression. I don't like to go much beyond 9.6:1; I don't believe the "risk/reward" relation ship is balanced in my favor. IAW, I don't see pushing the envelope to gain a marginal increase in performance is worth the risk of problems that might come with it. I would rather ride a bike with 110/120 numbers that work on one with 115/125 numbers. Comprende?

I am not Hispanic so am I guilty of "cultural appropriation"?
i understand at this point what im after most is adding low end from 2500 rpm on up ! And not have to loose on top my plan is 103 twin cooled se cnc heads with the 1.875 intake valves a tighter quench (.030 head gasket ) and the 57h cams . The heads have at most a 79 cc cnc chamber now and there’s alittle more quench area on these heads than the air cooled se cnc heads thats y the .030 hd gskt was so important in my mind ! Lol am i off track with this build or is it worth a try ? Oh yea and stock pistons and cyl . All opinions and info greatley appreciated thanks !

Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

You have lost me at this point, I don't know what the original configuration is and what the proposed configuration will be. So, I have no way to compare the two for the potential for gain in low end torque. IAW, if you are increasing CCP from 180 to 200, I can see the potential for gain but if the increase in CCP is, say, from 195 to 200; why bother?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Clayton24
Club Member

Originally Posted by djl
You have lost me at this point, I don't know what the original configuration is and what the proposed configuration will be. So, I have no way to compare the two for the potential for gain in low end torque. IAW, if you are increasing CCP from 180 to 200, I can see the potential for gain but if the increase in CCP is, say, from 195 to 200; why bother?
ok sorry let me start over i have a 2015 ultra limited its twin cooled factory static comp is at 9.9:1 i have 57 h cams rc 4.5” slipons gutted head pipe an open air cleaner and tuned with a power vision ! It runs great mid an top end dynoed on a base map at 94hp 109tq but i want more mainley on the low end around 2500rpm i have a set off se cnc pro factory heads to put on it right now my ccp is 190 the cnc heads have 79 cc chambers im wondering if it would work with the cnc heads and a .030 heads gasket for tighter quench and ccp around 205 to 210 which i kno is pushing it ! Or should i cut the combustion chambers out alittle to achieve 200ccp and is the heads and more compression goin to bring the bottom end to life ? Sorry for the long post ! Thanks i do always run 93 octane .

Old 11-30-2017, 03:14 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

ok sorry let me start over i have a 2015 ultra limited its twin cooled factory static comp is at 9.9:1 i have 57 h cams rc 4.5” slipons gutted head pipe an open air cleaner and tuned with a power vision ! It runs great mid an top end dynoed on a base map at 94hp 109tq but i want more mainley on the low end around 2500rpm i have a set off se cnc pro factory heads to put on it right now my ccp is 190 the cnc heads have 79 cc chambers im wondering if it would work with the cnc heads and a .030 heads gasket for tighter quench and ccp around 205 to 210 which i kno is pushing it ! Or should i cut the combustion chambers out alittle to achieve 200ccp and is the heads and more compression goin to bring the bottom end to life ? Sorry for the long post ! Thanks i do always run 93 octane .
First I would say that in your situation and desired results, I would not be looking at changing heads and gasket thickness; I would be looking for a cam change, say to Andrew 48, Woods 222 or even the SE255. Perhaps different slip ons as well. But, since you have the other heads, may be too late for the cam solution but depending on mufflers, may be some help to be had there.

So, to be sure I understand, you currently have OEM twin cooled heads that measure 83ccs, stock head gasket at .045" and 57 cams and are considering replacing the OEM twin cooled heads with the CNC heads that measure 79cc, replacing the OEM head gasket with a .030" head gasket and retaining the 57 cams.

If I got that right, looks to me like corrected compression increases to about 9.9:1 and CCP increases to about 209; a bridge too far for me. Use a .040" head gasket and corrected compression and CCP drop to about 9.7:1 and 203 respectively. I have assumed .007" as deck height and sea level so those numbers could be off. A bit aggressive for me but manageable it heads have compression releases and your tuner is on top of his game. JMHO.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Clayton24
Club Member

Originally Posted by djl
First I would say that in your situation and desired results, I would not be looking at changing heads and gasket thickness; I would be looking for a cam change, say to Andrew 48, Woods 222 or even the SE255. Perhaps different slip ons as well. But, since you have the other heads, may be too late for the cam solution but depending on mufflers, may be some help to be had there.

So, to be sure I understand, you currently have OEM twin cooled heads that measure 83ccs, stock head gasket at .045" and 57 cams and are considering replacing the OEM twin cooled heads with the CNC heads that measure 79cc, replacing the OEM head gasket with a .030" head gasket and retaining the 57 cams.

If I got that right, looks to me like corrected compression increases to about 9.9:1 and CCP increases to about 209; a bridge too far for me. Use a .040" head gasket and corrected compression and CCP drop to about 9.7:1 and 203 respectively. I have assumed .007" as deck height and sea level so those numbers could be off. A bit aggressive for me but manageable it heads have compression releases and your tuner is on top of his game. JMHO.
Look at this and you can see what i mean by soft on the low end thats realy what im after id like to get a 100ftlbs at about 2500 rpm this one is 6th gear and the other is 5th run in 5th or 6th on the highway at 2500 it dont have much im thinkin maybe the added compression and smaller baffles to bring up the low end ?

Old 11-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Clayton24
Club Member

Originally Posted by djl

you are correct on the set up an build plan ! Somthin that pull hard as hell upto about 5000 or 5500 is what im after to make a long story short ! Wonder what would be the outcome with say a 48 or tw222 with the cnc heads or is that not a good idea ? I realy appreciate everyones help from this forum thanks .

Last edited by Clayton24; 11-30-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Add to post

Quick Reply: Twin cooled