Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Rockers off while on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:51 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 1,368 Posts
Default Rockers off while on the bike?

07 Electra Glide

Trying to get rear rocker off cause of a leak from the rocker housing, got the rocker COVER off, cant get the Breather off cause the bolt is too long.

FSM doesn't say anything about it while the engine is in the bike, only says the engine should be on a stand. Which means out of the bike.

There are 4 bolts holding the rocker arm support, will removing those allow everything to come out?

Any way to get those buggers off while the engine is in the bike?

Then how do you torque everything up there after with such little room?

I've heard and thought about removing the front motor mount to lower the engine, but does that give you enough clearance to remove and install, then torque everything?

NOT taking the heads off, just the rocker housing to replace gasket.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-02-2017, 03:13 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool tilt it ..

working from the right side of the bike ....take the two rocker bolts out along with one of the small breather bolt from that side ...then loosen the other three on the left side(1/2" ratchet wrench) (3/8" socket on 1/4" drive ratchet for small bolts ) ...holding them up as high as you can, and tilt the rocker assembly up ,lifting it out the right side of the bike ....

Last edited by springers4ever; 12-02-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:18 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Thanks man.......how am I to torque those bolts when buttoning up?

Old 12-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Garrman
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Murph,

Getting the rear rocker support out of touring models is a big pita. I have done it several times on my bike, finding better ways each time.

If you don't already have a factory service manual for your bike I would strongly suggest you buy one. Lots of good info.

I assume you have the gas tank off? If not, do that first. Take this opportunity to install quick disconnects in the cross over tube. It makes future tank removal much quicker and easier.

I take the plastic handle of a hand sledge (approx 16" long) and insert it between the engine and frame being careful not to pinch any wires. I than gently press down on the bracket between the two heads. You don't need to press hard, you only need to move the head about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch to clear the frame to remove both the breather bolts and the rear rocker support bolts.

Before you start reassembly, determine if you have the old style or new style breather assemblies. The new style is stamped steel. They also have shorter bolts.

Take care with the breather gaskets. AFAIK, they are not sold separately.

Be sure and check to make sure no oil has drained in to the breather bolt holes in the head. Clean with a Q-tip if necessary. Also, consider enlarging the oil drain hold on the rocker support to .125.

When replacing the rocker supports, you will need to lever the engine again. Be gentle.

To torque the bolts a "dog bone" adaptor works well. Snap On sells them as well as Proto. Keep your torque wrench at a 90 degree angle to the adaptor.

Probably a bit more info than you asked for but I hope it helps. BTW, most of what I know about working on these bikes has been shared with me by members of the forum. Pretty helpful group of people.

Good luck and ride safe.

Garrman

Old 12-02-2017, 03:27 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
07 Electra Glide

Trying to get rear rocker off cause of a leak from the rocker housing, got the rocker COVER off, cant get the Breather off cause the bolt is too long.

FSM doesn't say anything about it while the engine is in the bike, only says the engine should be on a stand. Which means out of the bike.

There are 4 bolts holding the rocker arm support, will removing those allow everything to come out?

Any way to get those buggers off while the engine is in the bike?

Then how do you torque everything up there after with such little room?

I've heard and thought about removing the front motor mount to lower the engine, but does that give you enough clearance to remove and install, then torque everything?

NOT taking the heads off, just the rocker housing to replace gasket.

Thanks in advance!!
I did my heads and cam last winter on my 2005, and i had to remove the front motor mount [Puck} and that made all the difference, as the bolts would jam on the frame

Old 12-03-2017, 12:05 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,523 Posts

All good advice but that rear rocker will come out from the right side but it takes some work to get it in the right position. I remember the first time I had to remove that assembly from my '02 FLHT, about 10 years ago. I got so frustrated, I had to quit; I was speaking in tongues. My wife came out hearing my cursing and told me to move over; she had it out in about 30 seconds. Dropping the front motor mount is not necessary but pushing the motor down as suggested by Garman will make it easier. You don't have the later stamped breathers; if you did, you would not be having the problem. Replace the OEM breathers with the stamped breathers so you won't have to deal with the tricky removal ever again. PN 17025-03A; about $12 each. I torque by "feel", no need for a torque wrench.:icon_wnk:

Last edited by djl; 12-03-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:05 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 237 Posts

Just tilt shimy tilt and lift with bolts backed out but not lifted out

Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 889 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrman
Hi Murph,

Getting the rear rocker support out of touring models is a big pita. I have done it several times on my bike, finding better ways each time.

If you don't already have a factory service manual for your bike I would strongly suggest you buy one. Lots of good info.

I assume you have the gas tank off? If not, do that first. Take this opportunity to install quick disconnects in the cross over tube. It makes future tank removal much quicker and easier.

I take the plastic handle of a hand sledge (approx 16" long) and insert it between the engine and frame being careful not to pinch any wires. I than gently press down on the bracket between the two heads. You don't need to press hard, you only need to move the head about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch to clear the frame to remove both the breather bolts and the rear rocker support bolts.

Before you start reassembly, determine if you have the old style or new style breather assemblies. The new style is stamped steel. They also have shorter bolts.

Take care with the breather gaskets. AFAIK, they are not sold separately.

Be sure and check to make sure no oil has drained in to the breather bolt holes in the head. Clean with a Q-tip if necessary. Also, consider enlarging the oil drain hold on the rocker support to .125.

When replacing the rocker supports, you will need to lever the engine again. Be gentle.

To torque the bolts a "dog bone" adaptor works well. Snap On sells them as well as Proto. Keep your torque wrench at a 90 degree angle to the adaptor.

Probably a bit more info than you asked for but I hope it helps. BTW, most of what I know about working on these bikes has been shared with me by members of the forum. Pretty helpful group of people.

Good luck and ride safe.

Garrman
They come out really easily - just lift the bolts and take them out with the plate. No need to pry the engine in the frame. When installing, just have the rocker support plate loosely assembed with the bolts in and again manipulate them up and down in the plate while fitting into the bike. All you have to be careful of is not to dislodge the o-ring that sits in the lower rocker cover.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 12-03-2017 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MURPHCC1 (12-03-2017)