Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Shovel head won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Nickyb07
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovel head won’t start

Hey everybody I’ve recently got my first Harley (1981 shovelhead) in 2017, put away for the winter and come spring and does not start. It cranks but won’t start. Replaced the spark plugs and some relay found by the battery but still won’t start. I don’t hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the ignition to the start position. And doesn’t sound like it wants to start at all. I’m thinking it may be a electrical problem, but cannot find any kind of fuse box on it. Btw the relay I replace was right by the battery. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Stud Duck
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 103 Posts

Welcome from Houston Texas!
Well i am not the authority on the subject but, when i start mine (cold, not wormed up) i
turn on the petcock (left side below the gas tank) make sure engine kill button is in the run position and if it has a SnS carburetor on it, pull up on the choke (for lack of better word), its on top of the carburetor if its stock it could be in the same place or somewhere else on the carburetor, open the throttle all the way twice, and hit the start button.

Its not fuel injected so you wont here a fuel pump kick on when you turn the key.

Last edited by Stud Duck; 04-23-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Stud Duck
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 103 Posts

Of course there could me more issues and someone more knowledgeable than me will hopefully chime in, but i'am just covering the basics because if someone didn't tell me i wouldn't have known.
Also,
Fresh gas?
Oil level?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:01 AM
Nickyb07
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah haven’t change the gas in it yet, that will be my next step today. Also need to check the oil level. But I don’t see a kill switch on mine, I usually turn the switch to the off position to turn it off usually.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. I bought a new Shovelhead, back in 1974, although it is a long time ago since I sold it.

You really need to get better acquainted with your bike! It doesn't have fuel injection, as SD points out, so you won't hear a pump. If stock or close to stock, your bike doesn't have any fuses, it has circuit breakers instead, small aluminium boxes roughly the size of a relay. I recommend you buy the genuine factory manual, which you can get from a local dealer or on-line discount dealer. If your handlebar controls are stock, then your kill switch is on the righthand handlebar. Assuming your bike was running fine when you last rode it do NOT top up the oil, especially if low. What was there last season may now be in the crankcases and adding more will add to your woes!

We have a dedicated Shovelhead section, where you may find better help.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,061 Likes on 436 Posts

It would not crank if that relay was bad or the kill switch was off.. Check for spark, pull 1 plug put the wire back on, make sure the threaded part is touching ground,bare metal not paint, then crank. A spark should be observed when cranking. If it was running ok before storage I wouldn't worry about timing just yet.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Were the plugs wet with fuel before you pulled them? If so, check spark next as explained. No spark and you are checking points and condenser

Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 PM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,061 Likes on 436 Posts

Good call DonnieM, I forgot about the wet plug, I think unless its been altered it has an electronic ignition. So if no spark either pickup or module to be suspect.