EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1994 Fat Boy electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Jared0869
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1994 Fat Boy electrical issues

I have a 1994 Fat Boy that has recently caused me some trouble. The other night while riding I pulled over for a minute and needed to use my hazard lights. After putting the ignition in the Auxiliary position, I turned the hazards on. Once I was ready to get back on the bike, I put the ignition into (on) position, which is passed the (off) position from auxiliary. I then started the bike, and put hazards back on while making my way back onto the road. However, after a few seconds I noticed the hazards went out which is not normal for them to do that on their own. Usually I would have to manually turn them on/off by holding turn indicator for a few seconds. However, my turn signals themselves do have a canceler that will disable the turn-signal after some time of being on. Anyways, when the hazards went out, I tried to turn them back on because it was odd that they went out. However, they would not turn back on, and my turn-signals no longer work either. Also, the horn, which functioned perfectly before, also is not working, and the tail light is not lighting up additionally when the lever is pushed. I'm guessing that whatever happened (electrically) disabled (horn, tail light, all turn signals/hazards). The running light on the tail light remains lit, but with pressure there is not additional brightness. All of these parts were working prior to pulling off road, using hazards and getting back on before something either came loose, broke, etc... I've looked at wiring diagram and haven't found a point in which all of these electrical components cross to narrow the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize in advance for the long post.

-Thank You...

Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Check Acc circuit breaker & Ignition switch. Turn signals, horn & brake light are usually on the Acc circuit

Old 07-23-2017, 10:50 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared0869
I have a 1994 Fat Boy that has recently caused me some trouble. The other night while riding I pulled over for a minute and needed to use my hazard lights. After putting the ignition in the Auxiliary position, I turned the hazards on. Once I was ready to get back on the bike, I put the ignition into (on) position, which is passed the (off) position from auxiliary. I then started the bike, and put hazards back on while making my way back onto the road. However, after a few seconds I noticed the hazards went out which is not normal for them to do that on their own. Usually I would have to manually turn them on/off by holding turn indicator for a few seconds. However, my turn signals themselves do have a canceler that will disable the turn-signal after some time of being on. Anyways, when the hazards went out, I tried to turn them back on because it was odd that they went out. However, they would not turn back on, and my turn-signals no longer work either. Also, the horn, which functioned perfectly before, also is not working, and the tail light is not lighting up additionally when the lever is pushed. I'm guessing that whatever happened (electrically) disabled (horn, tail light, all turn signals/hazards). The running light on the tail light remains lit, but with pressure there is not additional brightness. All of these parts were working prior to pulling off road, using hazards and getting back on before something either came loose, broke, etc... I've looked at wiring diagram and haven't found a point in which all of these electrical components cross to narrow the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize in advance for the long post.

-Thank You...
First off long posts aren't a problem!!!
The more information you can give us the better we can help you.
That said next time please use paragraphs to break up that large block of text!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first thing I would check in your case is the grounds for corrosion or looseness.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Agree with 14GP, the accessory breaker supplies power for the circuit for the turn signals, brake lamp, horn.

Take a peek underneath the rear fender and inspect the wires under there, they live a tough life under there and often become frayed and ground out against the fender.

Also inspect the wire that runs from the ignition switch to the accessory breaker.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-23-2017 at 12:08 PM.