EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help with a stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts
Default Help with a stalling problem

Help me figure out my problem here because I can't figure it out.
Bike is a custom built softail that I built. I built it with an oem 80 inch evo and up until about a month or two ago it had no problems. I recently bought a brand new s&s v111 and swapped it into the bike. Carb is a super e (same one that I ran on the 80 inch) with a 32 intermediate and 78 main. No adjustable air bleed. I have about three hundred miles on the motor as I type.
The ignition is a dyna S set appropriately for this motor.
I have confirmed I do not have an intake leak and am using all of the appropriate hardware for this carb and motor.
The motor runs excellently except it stalls every so often on decel and sometimes will stall at idle. At any type of acceleration it has no issues and runs strong. When it stalls it coughs. The idle air mixture (whether rich or lean) doesn't make a difference on the stalling. After it stalls I can start her right back up.
None of these problems existed before he motor swap with all the same parts. I have since rebuilt the carb and changed the coil with no difference. My next thoughts are my mechanical advance (although it turns free and easily) or possibly there is crap in my tanks causing a issue with gas feed. Again I am running the same parts that I was with no problems before.
The spark plugs look good as far as the mixture goes. I even replaced the plug wires. No difference.
Any suggestions that you guys have I would appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Check for exhaust leak? Not a fuel issue, so leaning towards timing maybe. Just something to look at.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:36 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks. Definitely not an exhaust leak

Old 06-27-2019, 05:35 AM
kero
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

Maybe some debris on idle circuit?

Old 06-27-2019, 06:45 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

You don't have a loose throttle plate or possibly a worn shaft, do you?

You might want to think about going to a G if you got a run jets like that... That's a lot of fuel for that small carburetor and you got to remember that E isn't even 40 mm...

One more thing, don't they sell that motor in 2 different configurations? Compression and cam... Which one you running?

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 06-27-2019 at 07:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johnnynitro (08-13-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:00 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The last time I had problems such as you describe the problem turned out to be that black rubber accordion looking boot that covers the accelerator pump rod.
It had dry rotted and was letting in air to the accelerator pump system.

The following users liked this post:
aces&8s (07-03-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:58 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
You don't have a loose throttle plate or possibly a worn shaft, do you?

You might want to think about going to a G if you got a run jets like that... That's a lot of fuel for that small carburetor and you got to remember that E isn't even 40 mm...

One more thing, don't they sell that motor in 2 different configurations? Compression and cam... Which one you running?
They recommend the e for this motor. I bought the long block that came with just the motor. In 9.8:1 compression with the v585 cam

I'll take a look at the carb shaft. My petcock is a Golan. I haven't checked the screen yet. I feel if it was starving for fuel for lack of flow it would be evident at more throttle and not decel or idle.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by misfitJason
They recommend the e for this motor. I bought the long block that came with just the motor. In 9.8:1 compression with the v585 cam

I'll take a look at the carb shaft. My petcock is a Golan. I haven't checked the screen yet. I feel if it was starving for fuel for lack of flow it would be evident at more throttle and not decel or idle.
The reason S&S recommends the E for the 111 is you get snappier response at low and mid range but suffer a bit at WOT.

Since most people don't spend much time at WOT they went from a G to the E.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:28 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

I tore into a couple of things.

The fuel line was new when I changed the motor. It still does it no matter where I route the line. The mechanical advance looks good and moves free.

The cam seal is leaking a little. Will eventually have to change that out. All of the wires coming from the ignition module are intact and good.

Texas.... that little black boot on the plunger looks like this when I took the picture. I can't remember from memory if it's supposed to be all the way up or not. That could be a possibility.

The butterfly on the carb is nice and tight and not loose.

I don't have time to check the petcock screen or tanks. There could be some crap in there. I would also like to run a compression test on the motor when I take the tanks off to check them for debris. But I'll have to unplug the acrs. Can anybody think of anything else or see anything that jumps out at you?

Last edited by misfitJason; 06-28-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:07 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by misfitJason

Texas.... that little black boot on the plunger looks like this when I took the picture. I can't remember from memory if it's supposed to be all the way up or not. That could be a possibility.
When I was having my stalling problem that little boot had dry rotted in several places.
I couldn't see it until I removed the boot.
After I replaced it my stalling problems went away.

Quick Reply: Help with a stalling problem