EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Does my 92 Fatboy EVO have an oil drain plug or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does my 92 Fatboy EVO have an oil drain plug or not?

Does the EVO motor have an oil drain plug? Does it vary from bike to bike? I've never seen one onmy engine anywhere but a good friend (BadHerb) is telling me there is one on his EVO! What's the REAL 411??
Also is the Roguechopper scavenger system worth getting? I KNOW there is all that old oil sitting in the crankcase after I drain the oil tank. it's pretty cheap for our EVO's, might be worth getting IF it helps....

Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 AM
dert
Road Master
Default RE: Does my 92 Fatboy EVO have an oil drain plug or not?

look below the oil tank ,should be a tube resting in a clamp on the swing arm with a plug in itand a worm clamp.at least thats where it is on my 92 flstc.Shouldnt be any different on a fat boy of same year.Never scavenged mine out in all its 60,000 miles...,may do some good if its been sitting a long time.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

Thanks for the reply dert. I HAVE changed the oil once or twice on my 45K mile EVO, so I know where the oil tank drain hose is!! MaybeI didn't phrase the question right (It is 3 AM and I've been at work since 6 PM last night!) I was asking if there was a DRAIN PLUG ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE CRANKCASE........

Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no drain plug on the bottom of the engine crankcase. If you want to do a complete oil change you must do a "5-quart oil change". This consists in the following (from the book 101 Harley-Davidson Performance Projects":

"About every fourth or fifth oil change, start the engine after filling up with oil before you mount the new filter. Let it idle until the sludgy black oil coming from the filter boss starts to turn clean (or until about 1 quart has pumped into the drain pan), then shut off the motor and top off the oil tank/sump to the proper leverl. Ninety percent of the time, you'll see the oil start to run clean before you've used a full quart, but either way you've flushed out the cupful of crap that stay in the cases."

This is the same system that the Roguechopper one, but with the Roguechopper one I'm sure that you won't get your bike, floor and yourself so dirt as you probably get with the "5-quart oil change" system. Only you can say if it's worth to get the Roguechopper or not.

Regards,

--
Javi

Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Ya'll know that the factory shop manual sez to not bother with anything left in the cases, right? It specifically sez don't crank the motor while changing the oil to get the last bit out because there isn't enough to bother with.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:35 AM
dert
Road Master

sorry...you didnt have to yell .......

Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have S&S cases and they do have a drain plug on the bottom, very handy! That may be what you were refering to. HD cases don't have the plug.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dr. Hess,

With the system that I'm saying, you must crank the motor while changing the oil, but you must have the oil tank full, so that the oil lubricates the motor while is on. What the factory shop manual says is that you don't have to crank the motor to get the last oil, but that's when just that last oil is in the tank. In this case, the motor wouldn't have any oil which is the worst for your motor.

Regards,

--
Javi

Old 01-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

The shop manual sez not to bother cranking it to get the last oil out of the crankcase, not the tank. I also don't think it's a good idea to crank it with an empty oil tank. Anyway, if the shop manual specifically says don't bother, that's good enough for me and one less thing to buy, have to carry around, break, etc.

I suppose if you really wanted to get the last drop of dirty oil out, leave the oil filter off. Put fresh oil in, crank the motor until clean oil comes out the filter mounting, put a new filter on. Evo only, of course, as the filter is in the return line.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM
badherb
Road Captain

AlaskaJeff I have a evo DYNA that does not have an "oil bag." Your fatty has the bag. Oh man that doesn't sound right.