Shearing motor mount bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shearing motor mount bolts

1998 FLHTC

I just finished re-installing my 4th bolt in the last 10 months. I keep shearing the same bolt, it's the left front bolt that bolts the engine to the rubber mount (just below the wires that come out of the engine from the stator.) I'm using grade 8 bolts and a nylon nut, but I can't any info in the manual about these bolts. I can't figure what I'm doing wrong, and why it keeps happening.

Last edited by Old-Evo; 07-28-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Is it hitting something? Are the mounts loose? Maybe you need a new mount, especially the front. I seem to recall some threads regarding the front mount being loose and a stiffer one available from HD. Also try a Grade 5 bolt for the hell of it and don't torque it down to gorilla specs.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Is it hitting something? Are the mounts loose? Maybe you need a new mount, especially the front. I seem to recall some threads regarding the front mount being loose and a stiffer one available from HD. Also try a Grade 5 bolt for the hell of it and don't torque it down to gorilla specs.
I don't think it's hitting anything. Mount is not loose but will check again, and I'll look into the stiffer mount from HD. I haven't been a gorilla on these nuts just getting to tight. I'll see about finding a grade 5. Thx for all the good ideas.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I hate to disagree with Dr. Hess, But!

Going to a higher grade bolt will just transfer the problem down the line, ie: the next thing to go might be the engine flange the bolt secures.

If you can't find the bolt spec. go to HD and ask them for one. I know it will be expensive but not as expensive as an engine case.

USE A TORQUE wrench and torque to the proper specs, with the correct nut and washer combination.

I could justify this, but it would take way to long and involve a lot of helicopter references that you might not understand anyway.

Plus a dissertation on vibrations and resonances in metals. Tension, compression, single shear and double shear loads on bolts with a follow-up on elongation of holes in metal components.

Check and make sure the hole in the components you are fastening are in fact round. Don't want to stress/point load the fastening.

Just my .02

Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You should probably have the clinometer check done, to ensure the motor and tranny are sitting upright in the frame and not over stressing the bolt. I would also look for clearance between the mount and the frame as this could cause the bolt to shear.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Remove the front mount and check it Bad ones can be hard to spot.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kabear
I hate to disagree with Dr. Hess, But!

Going to a higher grade bolt will just transfer the problem down the line, ie: the next thing to go might be the engine flange the bolt secures.

If you can't find the bolt spec. go to HD and ask them for one. I know it will be expensive but not as expensive as an engine case.

USE A TORQUE wrench and torque to the proper specs, with the correct nut and washer combination.

I could justify this, but it would take way to long and involve a lot of helicopter references that you might not understand anyway.

Plus a dissertation on vibrations and resonances in metals. Tension, compression, single shear and double shear loads on bolts with a follow-up on elongation of holes in metal components.

Check and make sure the hole in the components you are fastening are in fact round. Don't want to stress/point load the fastening.

Just my .02
I have gone to HD and it is a grade 8 bolt, 1 3/4 in length, with a nylon nut. They haven't had one in stock for 70 months so I got some at the hardware store. I haven't been able to find anything at all in the manual, let alone torque specs.

My plan is to get the new, stiffer front motor mount, and to keep digging thru the manual page by page. I will ask the dealer for bolt torque specs when I buy the new motor mount.

Last edited by Old-Evo; 07-29-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

What condition is the other bolt in and have you replaced it also?
Think this through: the mounting bolts hold the motor mount in the frame; the motor is “Bolted” to the “Motor mount”. The torque required to hold the motor mount (sorry I don’t have the specs.) to the frame can’t be that much.
Have you checked the motor alignment?
Why haven’t you ordered the bolts and nuts from another dealer?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

+3 on check alignment. If the bolt is shearing, then something is stressing that bolt out. In this case Xanax won't do the trick.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,685 Likes on 851 Posts

Something had to cause the origional failure, current bolts breaking are from the base problem, not which grade and torque of bolt is going in it. The front engine mount has to be flexing enough to go to a metal to metal condition with the safety washer hitting sending vibrations into the mount.

Peace of mind would to check for other loose mounting bolts which would cause misalignment as members are mentioning. This condition isn't the bolts fault, it is being stressed past it's limit by torsional vibration or movement in other areas.

Quick Reply: Shearing motor mount bolts