EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Front motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
One thing I discovered the first time I did this is that the cheap line lasers are not square to their bodies. I squared them up by shimming one side (on the corner, that is) with a few layers of tape.
Can see where that could make for some disappointment if not caught.
The 2 the kids got me a few years ago actually had an adjustment. Lord knows where they are at now tho.

WP

Old 01-26-2019, 12:20 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
One thing I discovered the first time I did this is that the cheap line lasers are not square to their bodies. I squared them up by shimming one side (on the corner, that is) with a few layers of tape.

I'm thinking your straight edge is crooked, the laser is square to your feet, try a different straight edge or move your left foot back

Old 01-26-2019, 01:36 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

There is a reason I hate Ryobi ......

Old 01-26-2019, 04:50 PM
lmz5150
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So back to the original topic...I'm curious about the quality of replacement mounts. Is the sta-bo a good way to go? I'd rather pay a little more for something if the quality is there. My mount feels like a plum. And it's 28 years old. And the engine is out.
the swing arm bushings...same story. Oe good stuff? I don't really have the money for solids or other aftermarket things. Just to return to factory expectations.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

You don't want to hear this -
All my rubber crap and Hemi joints get replaced about every 5 years as it will not measure SQ.
Once you do this and add a tour link, you will have the most steadfast platform
you have ever been on!
.It is so good you will give up wine, woman, drugs to keep it straight as it is a drug of its own.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:30 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
The Harley upgrade "B" "C" "D" mount didn't pan out, the VRod front mount is the remake of the old factory mount that worked for years. Best thing you can do is use the old mount until it deteriorates, didn't really get anything special with one of those $125 ones either, the oldie but goody design works

Incorrect on my post saying the V rod mount is the old factory 16207-79, it's the Buell part number L0501.2.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 01-26-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:14 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,727 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Whenever I see a conversation online about replacing or "upgrading" the rubber mounts on an FXR, I get a little confused between folks who are recommending ways to stiffen or tighten it up for ultimate "handling", and folks (like me) who want to optimize the vibration reduction in order to enjoy those long 80 mph days again. I'm not any kind of performance rider. Never drag the pegs in cornering or even come close. Most of my riding is going in pretty much a straight line down the highway. I've read a bunch of stuff about aftermarket mounts..."Velva-ride", "Glide Pro", etc. and still don't know if those products are what I want.
Soooo...are we saying that the Buell part ( Buell part number L0501.2 ) is the best option to just get her back to original..??
Thanks.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mfnheff
So back to the original topic...I'm curious about the quality of replacement mounts. Is the sta-bo a good way to go? I'd rather pay a little more for something if the quality is there. My mount feels like a plum. And it's 28 years old. And the engine is out.
the swing arm bushings...same story. Oe good stuff? I don't really have the money for solids or other aftermarket things. Just to return to factory expectations.
There are a lot of products available to us which make claims regarding our rubber-mounts that I cannot believe. Many years ago when first investigating our bikes I started by going back to the original H-D patents for the rubber-mount design, in an effort to better understand things. I describe the design and handling 'problems' we all know about in my Bagger 'wobble thread'. (don't try to read the entire thing!)

The original Harley design used three stabilizer links, which we can see in any dealer's showroom on the current Sportsters, also on all Buells. I own one of each! If you have ever ridden either type you should have noticed the much improved riding characteristics compared with our older Touring/FXR bikes. IMHO we are far better off installing that third 'missing' link, rather than chasing the odd path that some brands choose to follow. True-Track are the original brand and also the only one IMHO worth considering. The transformation in ride quality is remarkable, having used one on my Glide for over a decade, also a Dyna while I owned it. The OE rubber mounts are fine with a T-T and what I currently have with my S&S 107".

Have I tried other brands that claim to provide handling nirvana? No, none of them address the source problem in as complete a way.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by guido4198
Whenever I see a conversation online about replacing or "upgrading" the rubber mounts on an FXR, I get a little confused between folks who are recommending ways to stiffen or tighten it up for ultimate "handling", and folks (like me) who want to optimize the vibration reduction in order to enjoy those long 80 mph days again. I'm not any kind of performance rider. Never drag the pegs in cornering or even come close. Most of my riding is going in pretty much a straight line down the highway. I've read a bunch of stuff about aftermarket mounts..."Velva-ride", "Glide Pro", etc. and still don't know if those products are what I want.
Soooo...are we saying that the Buell part ( Buell part number L0501.2 ) is the best option to just get her back to original..??
Thanks.
Yes, it is the closest Harley brand mount to the original 16207-79 mount that came on your bike. Some of the Harley updated mounts failed with vibration is why a updated "C" "D" showed so quickly, the latest Harley mount is better but needs a break in period to soften up but is vibration prone during that period. The Drag Specialties mount is the same way, if you can make it thru the vibrations during break in like the updated Harley mounts it will work, some owners said they had no problems with the Drag but several said they where loosing teeth from vibrations. The Stabo and Glide Pro are made from urethane and a quality product, these urethane mounts use a torque of 5lbs on the bolt and basically trying to let the motor float and let the harder urethane absorb what vibrations are left.

The White Bike still has the original 16207-79 mount and has handled big engines for the last 8 years is why I'm a believer in the original design. The Buell mount became a option when Harley was designing the shaker mounts and it patterned the old original mount. In all the research I did on the Buell is sometimes it struggled with high horsepower engines because of it's softer compound which is the key to killing vibrations but held on smaller engines. Have seen the original 16207-79 old stock mount on Ebay at times, not sure of the costs of a Buell mount and know the Glide Pro can hit $175 or more with shipping.

Was chasing a 1600-1800 rpm vibration on my 05 Road Glide (same mount system), very aware of the products during research. Went with the Glide Pro because installing a bigger engine was in the future and the Glide Pro was the "best" and the vibration cure, wrong, vibration was still there after the Glide Pro but is a well built mount.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Why were you chasing a vibration at 1600 rpms? That's one rev range I stay at even more rarely than redline.

Quick Reply: Front motor mount