1987 Evo motor build up questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 AM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1987 Evo motor build up questions

Hi guys,

My MC Bro is debating whether to buy a new Evo motor for his FXR or build it up. If he kept it at a stock 80 inch motor but wanted better HP and Torque. What cam would someone recommend as well as what kind of cylinder heard work would anyone recommend? He has a brand new Mikuni carb on the bike as well as a high flow air filter. Or would going up to the 85 inch revperf piston and cylinder package be a better move? What is the largest he could go with if he went with S&S?

Old 03-20-2019, 12:46 AM
Stingray702
Road Master
Received 486 Likes on 240 Posts

I have a S&S 113 in my 1999 FXR, and the thing runs like a raped ape. They're pricey, but worth it

Old 03-20-2019, 03:56 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,704 Likes on 2,319 Posts

In addition to the carb he has already...The least intrusive (read: inexpensive) mods to "wake up" a stock 80 cu. in. Evo are Andrews EV27 cam. Have .045-.050 in. shaved off the heads and good hi-flow exhaust.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Inevitably there are various options, depending on the condition of his current engine. If he's talking of doing headwork we have access to HDF sponsor Hillside Cycles, who have proven Evo builds that will give a great boost in performance. Check out their website, as they can provide a one-stop-shop of headwork plus any other work needed, parts etc.

On the replacement engine front, quite a few of us have S&S engines, a 107" in my case, several of the later 111", also 124", as well as Stingray's 113". In the case of the 107/111 a beefed up clutch will be necessary and in my case I have also added a bigger starter motor. I replaced the primary chain and compensator as that had developed sharp teeth, showing how it had worn. I bought my 107" as a complete engine, with ignition system and carb. The exhaust can give real benefits and I have swapped my original TDs with a Supermeg, which is sublime.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Inevitably there are various options, depending on the condition of his current engine. If he's talking of doing headwork we have access to HDF sponsor Hillside Cycles, who have proven Evo builds that will give a great boost in performance. Check out their website, as they can provide a one-stop-shop of headwork plus any other work needed, parts etc.

On the replacement engine front, quite a few of us have S&S engines, a 107" in my case, several of the later 111", also 124", as well as Stingray's 113". In the case of the 107/111 a beefed up clutch will be necessary and in my case I have also added a bigger starter motor. I replaced the primary chain and compensator as that had developed sharp teeth, showing how it had worn. I bought my 107" as a complete engine, with ignition system and carb. The exhaust can give real benefits and I have swapped my original TDs with a Supermeg, which is sublime.
I put Barnett Kevlar fibers in my clutch and they hold my 111 just fine.
Instead of a beefier starter you can simply change the pinion and ring gear to a 10-84 set up.
Mine is a Rivera Primo and works great but a friend put on a Compufire and never could get it to work right then he changed that for a Baker and it works fine.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I put Barnett Kevlar fibers in my clutch and they hold my 111 just fine.
Instead of a beefier starter you can simply change the pinion and ring gear to a 10-84 set up.
Mine is a Rivera Primo and works great but a friend put on a Compufire and never could get it to work right then he changed that for a Baker and it works fine.
I also have the Barnett kevlar plates, a +1 set. I had already serviced my original starter some years ago and on stripping it down found it was in a sorry state - so gave it the last rites! A bigger one seemed the obvious replacement.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:06 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,347 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Take a look at Sifton top end products and cams. My second top end in my '86 Evo was all Sifton with a Sifton cam and it ran like a scalded ape. I kept it at 80 ci.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Stingray702
Road Master
Received 486 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

Funny you say that! In my 113 I added the Spykes Hi Torqu starter, and the Baker 9 plate street performance clutch..it's a must when you upgrade the motor

Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 973 Likes on 464 Posts

It all depends on what he wants to do with the bike. Does he want speed? Or just stability?

I'm 280 @6' 1", just a big boy. My stock '98 needed a *lot* of room to pass when going at speed (55 mph and faster). Got tired of that since it never worked out as often as I wanted/needed.

I looked for torque, to get my big *** and the bike moving *now* and with some oomph, so I went with the EV13. Now, I can pass whenever I want at *any* speed. I won't win any races, but that's not what I give a crud about. All the bikes in the world can beat me in a race and I wouldn't give a rats *** about it. I wanted and needed dependability and for the bike to do what I needed it to do when I wanted it to do it. I also got to keep the 45 mpg's with the EV13, at least until 75 mph, any faster than that and the mpg's start to go downhill, heh.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

There's a lot to be said for a proven combination of parts, by that I mean the components a respected engine builder would use and warranty. To get an idea of potential performance I like to look at the Wood Performance Dyno page, you'll get an idea of what is possible with different displacement evo's.

http://www.woodcarbs.com/dynoruns.htm

The following users liked this post:
ShadowforNow (03-27-2019)

Quick Reply: 1987 Evo motor build up questions