EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 08:18 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,009 Likes on 3,413 Posts

The bike did not run when I'm single fire mode.. The SE module is made by Dynatek.. confirmed it with a phone call..

When the ignition module went this time, when I hit the start button it started but immediately died . This happened several times.. At the time I was running in single fire mode with an S&S single fire coil.. At that moment I accessed the SE Module and selected dual fire (it's the programmable SE module) everything else remained the same.. The bike started and stayed running so I pulled it back into the garage.. I also have a toggle switch in place of my VOES switch that's used to advance the timing when in cruise it light too in throttle.. It no longer makes any difference when I ground the violet VOES wire..

Because the bike ran in dual fire mode I installed a stock coil but kept the SE module.. The bike runs great but I have no VOES which is fine, I don't think a high compression motor should even have a VOES..

I still think it was a voltage spike that took out the module.. I have a new Cycle Electric on the way.. For now it's running great however I'm carrying a saddle bag full of parts..

The nice thing is, I no longer get flashing indicators in the Dakota Digital Speedo.. Maybe I solved the voltage spikes even if they never existed but it's the only thing I can think of that took out the modules.. It's also possible that the VOES is at full advanced judging by the pic of my front plug.. The porcelain is very clean, no pepper specs indicating no detonation..

Rufus, I took a very close look at the S&S coil and there is indication of carbon tracking or cracks.. The ohm readings are perfect.. I appreciate all The help gentlemen'.. We'll see what the future brings.

​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (05-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 08:24 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,495 Likes on 3,772 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
The faster the windows trigger the module / the more counts per second, the less it keeps it retarded.
Easy way to think about - no ignition can "guess" ahead as to when a signal will get there. So, it takes a signal off the rotor cup and delays it to the plug wires. How much delay depends on engine rpm, voes input and whatever it's set on the switches.
If the ignition takes the timing off the rotor cup, does it know to retard the timing at low speed? Setting the timing on a Dynatek, I assume that the module uses finding the gap with the LED indicator. If that is the case then the event is at say 0 degrees before TDC. Why would it delay based on RPM? Wouldn't it advance?

If advancing, would it have to guess the timing based on previous event timing? In that case, isn't the module predicting the future?

Old 05-01-2024, 08:30 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

No the timing is all based on a order ignition curve that is based off of RPM.. But one still needs to set base timing..

Max, what's with all the questions..?? I'm pretty sure you know exactly how it all works..

Old 05-01-2024, 08:50 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
No the timing is all based on a order ignition curve that is based off of RPM.. But one still needs to set base timing..

Max, what's with all the questions..?? I'm pretty sure you know exactly how it all works..
No,, It's based on RPMs and a timing event. The thing is that the timing even is TDC set when the LED goes out..

From there, doesn't it have to predict the future? IE advance the timing?

Old 05-01-2024, 09:07 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

If does advance the timing but it is not based on load as in a fuel injected bike that depends on rpm and map/kpa..
It's all preset but you can change the initial base timing to limit total timing..

Old 05-01-2024, 09:15 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

If does advance the timing but it is not based on load as in a fuel injected bike that depends on rpm and map/kpa..
It's all preset but you can change the initial base timing to limit total timing..
You are discussing user level. I'm discussing implementation level.

I'd definitely like to look at the source code for the microcontroller that does the task to see how it's done.

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 05:18 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry, I wasn't quite following you..

Old 05-02-2024, 08:06 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,112 Likes on 6,342 Posts

Because the bike ran in dual fire mode I installed a stock coil but kept the SE module.. The bike runs great but I have no VOES which is fine,

Rufus, I took a very close look at the S&S coil and there is indication of carbon tracking or cracks..​​​​​​
So it was the coil, like I suggested? Imagine that.
You've been messing with this for over a week. Go back to stock.
Dynatek is usually reliable, but most aftermarket electrics are crap.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:05 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
No it wasn't the coil, I keep saying it was voltage spikes that took it out.. That's the only thing it was, an input of the module.. You know the trigger to the coil got fried.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:17 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
No it wasn't the coil, I keep saying it was voltage spikes that took it out.. That's the only thing it was, an input of the module.. You know the trigger to the coil got fried.

Quick Reply: Ignition Woes...