EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Peace and Quiet with an Evo!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Claudia will be in our prayers up north here!! I may have to come up with another cake recipe in her honor Hmmmm. Cluadia cake, it has a nice ring to it!!! Then we can all make it and have a slice in her honor.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Prayers for Claudia here also. Cancer has touched my family as well so I know the pain.

We must not have partied to hard last night, cause no hangover this morning. Well maybe a sugar crash any way from the cake.

Hope all my evo buddies have a great weekend.

Mike

Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Great news about Bertha. She (and you?) deserves a very special cake!

Thanks, Graham! Yeah, everything seems to be OK now! Bertha deserves the cake... not so sure about me! But I try to take care of her the best I can... and at least I now know how to use my multimeter to read AC volts!

I'm feeling a bit smug over here at present. Had two deliveries yesterday. One is a travel adapter plug (stay awake chaps!) that will enable us to use electric things in West German wall sockets (like charging phone, gps etc). Its taken three goes to get what I wanted, after being sent something quite different to what was advertised by two suppliers.

All European wall sockets are similar, but the German 'schuko' versions won't accept most UK adapters, which is a bit of a nuisance when one is crossing Continents! If you travel from the US to Europe you shouldn't have any problems, because your mains plugs are smaller and a different shape to UK ones, although voltage is another thing.

Smugness accepted, Graham! I'm quite familiar with those huge UK wall plugs - having spent considerable time on several trips to IBM's Hursley development labs near Winchester back in the mid-90s and dealing with them. You could easily send 30 amps at 480 volts through those monsters! The chaps there used to tease me unmercifully about the tiny little ungrounded two-prong US plugs on my laptop's power adapter, and how "dangerous" they are! That will make your travels to the continent easier!

The other delivery was from the USA (wait for it), namely a 2009 6 US gallon gas tank. Cost $66 on good ol' ebay plus a lot for shipping, but looks almost too good to be true. Another project is just getting off the ground....

OK - now I'm totally green with envy, Graham! That's got to be the Buy Of The Year for 2010! I too have been looking for a 6-gal tank for Bertha, but I haven't wanted to pay $400-$500 for one. I can't believe you got one for only $66! Well done indeed!

Now the big question - how are you going to get it painted to match that beautiful Hi Fi Blue on your bike? Can you still even get that paint color?

We also bought a tin of sliced pineapple. That's enough excitement for now!

I can smell the PUDC all the way from here!

I'll put the kettle on.

That 'c' stuff is awful, so very best wishes to Claudia. My best man is fighting it as we speak and another pal has something similar to Claudia. Disease doesn't recognise International boundaries.

No, it doesn't, Graham... 'c' is a real bitch...
Originally Posted by miacycles
Claudia will be in our prayers up north here!! I may have to come up with another cake recipe in her honor Hmmmm. Cluadia cake, it has a nice ring to it!!! Then we can all make it and have a slice in her honor.
I love the "Claudia Cake" idea, John! We'll have to figure out what it should be... it will have to have some chocolate in it, and it should probably just be a single layer, because Claudia is all of 4'10"... I call her "Short Fat"!

Originally Posted by MJ
Prayers for Claudia here also. Cancer has touched my family as well so I know the pain.

It touches far too many families, Mike. My mom, now 89, also only 4' 10" and shrinking (!), had breast cancer about 15 years ago, but thankfully it was still localized, and they got it all. Other than that, I've been lucky and have not had to deal with it in my family.

We must not have partied to hard last night, cause no hangover this morning. Well maybe a sugar crash any way from the cake.

Hope all my evo buddies have a great weekend.

Mike
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, guys. I read my note from last evening in the hard light of day just now, and saw that maybe it was just a wee bit on the sappy side... I had gotten into the Glenfiddich single malt after I got the bad news and had talked with Claudia about it. So I had a tiny little hangover this morning... but two extra-strength Tylenols and several cups of coffee have gotten rid of it!

Claudia survived breast cancer about 6-7 years ago, and she's a tough old bird (she just turned 65 on May 22) - but I'm not very hopeful that she'll pull through this time. She's a life long smoker, and she has emphysema and COPD as well... and she's now on oxygen, too... so draw your own conclusions about lifestyle and consequences. But once it gets into your lymph nodes, you're pretty much screwed.

The very first thing she asked me last evening when I called her was "have YOU stopped smoking yet?" Talk about being hit unexpectedly with a 2x4 upside the head by the pot calling the kettle black!

OK, enough of that depressing stuff... or maybe not. My wife Mary and I are flying to St. Louis tomorrow - so no riding for me for the next week or so (Boo Hiss! It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend here too, dammit!) Her loopy youngest daughter is getting married with all of two weeks' notice. We'll be there through Wednesday - the wedding is Tuesday morning. We're bringing her daughter's 8-year-old daughter back with us to spend a couple of weeks with us, and Mary will be in seventh heaven having her granddaughter with us for two weeks. They used to live with us until Dec 2008, so Mary really misses her granddaughter - not so much her daughter though...

Funny how young people today seem to get it backwards so often - having kids in their teens while not married, breaking up, struggling for years, meeting someone else later, and finally getting married...

Hope y'all get some riding time in this weekend... think about poor old NGH helping with wedding prep all weekend while you're out there enjoying the road, gents!

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 06-18-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
The other delivery was from the USA (wait for it), namely a 2009 6 US gallon gas tank. Cost $66 on good ol' ebay plus a lot for shipping, but looks almost too good to be true. Another project is just getting off the ground....

OK - now I'm totally green with envy, Graham! That's got to be the Buy Of The Year for 2010! I too have been looking for a 6-gal tank for Bertha, but I haven't wanted to pay $400-$500 for one. I can't believe you got one for only $66! Well done indeed!
They typically sell for around 100 bucks on ebay. I saw one with a starting price of 10 bucks and it didn't get a bid! I hadn't decided to buy at that time. You should watch them for a while! No need to pay the sort of money you mention, unless you can get one that will suit Bertha without repainting it. Mine would suit Bertha, being a 2009 RG tank in solid black with blue stripes. I'll post pics in time and do a write up. I haven't decided on paint. The new tank looks so good I hesitate risking spoiling it by trying to fit it!

Raining here. Hope the sun shines on you while you are away. I went to the top of the Jefferson Memorial a few years ago - quite a novelty to look down that far under where you are standing!

Last edited by grbrown; 06-18-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Expanded. Added link.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thoughts and prayers with Claudia.
Lost 3 good friends to C in the 90s. All healthy lifestyle guys, athletes, in their 30s. Made me wonder about the whole lifestyle effect thing. But it is best to be moderate in things, food, drink etc (maybe not the smoking, but I'm not your judge)
Very sad.

Have some fun up there, Ken. Keep things upbeat. That's probably the best medicine you can give.
Oh, and a shot or 2 of Glenfiddich never hurts. (that's 1-2, buddy!)
Substitute Maclallen if necessary.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

They typically got for around 100 bucks on ebay. I saw one with a starting price of 10 bucks and it didn't get a bid! I hadn't decided to buy at that time. You should watch them for a while! No need to pay the sort of money you mention. Mine would suit Bertha, being a 2009 RG tank in solid black with blue stripes. I'll post pics in time.

Raining here. Hope the sun shines on you while you are away. I went to the top of the Jefferson Memorial a few years ago - quite a novelty to look down that far under where you are standing!
So the fact that all newer tanks are for EFI doesn't matter? How do you use an EFI tank on a carb bike? Don't they have fuel return fitting or other stuff on them? And will my standard petcock fit? Just curious, and under-informed...

Do you mean the Gateway Arch in St. Louis? I've been up in that, and it is indeed a stomach-turner. I didn't know it was called the Jefferson Memorial though.

It's warm and sunny, but depressing here... since I can't ride!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:28 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by schwangster
thoughts and prayers with Claudia.
Lost 3 good friends to C in the 90s. All healthy lifestyle guys, athletes, in their 30s. Made me wonder about the whole lifestyle effect thing. But it is best to be moderate in things, food, drink etc (maybe not the smoking, but I'm not your judge)
Very sad.

Have some fun up there, Ken. Keep things upbeat. That's probably the best medicine you can give.
Oh, and a shot or 2 of Glenfiddich never hurts. (that's 1-2, buddy!)
Substitute Maclallen if necessary.
Thanks, Dale. It really does make you wonder about lifestyle... sorry to hear about your friends battles with "c". I know people in their 70s and 80s who've smoked for 50+ years and are fine, and others in their 40s (like the guy I used to work for at my company) who've never smoked but get lung cancer anyway. Of course, those are probably aberrations in the stats... and yeah I know smoking is really stupid and I'll probably quit someday. I only started 10 years ago at 43 (long, stupid story... believe it or not, I used to be an avid marathon runner 20 years and 30 pounds ago) - so something else will probably get me before the smoking does anyway!

Thanks for the support, Dale. I am just going to relax to enjoy the family stuff (as well as family stuff CAN be enjoyed!) for the next 5 days. I had 3 drinks last night... but that's very unusual for me, and I really needed to go to a "happy place". I usually never drink at all during the week - I'm more of a black coffee, no sugar, kind of guy...

Balvenie Doublewood (a 12 year old single malt aged in both whiskey and sherry casks) is my personal favorite Scotch. It's as good as any - definitely not cheap, but neither outrageously expensive - about $55 a fifth. But dammit, I'm out of that, too! Probably a good thing... maybe I should eat more !

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 06-18-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

So the fact that all newer tanks are for EFI doesn't matter? How do you use an EFI tank on a carb bike? Don't they have fuel return fitting or other stuff on them? And will my standard petcock fit? Just curious, and under-informed...
I am in the process of looking into that! I am not confident that it will definitely work. I don't believe the stock tap will fit, but a Pingel tap and adapter will, to replace the EFI output pipe. More news as I tackle it.

Do you mean the Gateway Arch in St. Louis? I've been up in that, and it is indeed a stomach-turner. I didn't know it was called the Jefferson Memorial though.

It's warm and sunny, but depressing here... since I can't ride!
Its title is rather longer than that, but yes, the arch.

Chin up, old chap! Have a great time away.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

I am in the process of looking into that! I am not confident that it will definitely work. I don't believe the stock tap will fit, but a Pingel tap and adapter will, to replace the EFI output pipe. More news as I tackle it.

Its title is rather longer than that, but yes, the arch.

Chin up, old chap! Have a great time away.
Thanks, Graham! I'll look forward to your fuel tank findings.

From googling, I found that the actual arch is indeed part of the Gateway Arch-Jefferson National Expansion Memorial national park there. I had no idea! I'm planning to visit it at some point next week, while my wife is busy with the wedding stuff and preparing the reception feast for Tuesday after the wedding. I'd just be in her way anyway...

Old 06-19-2010, 05:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Thanks, Graham! I'll look forward to your fuel tank findings.

From googling, I found that the actual arch is indeed part of the Gateway Arch-Jefferson National Expansion Memorial national park there. I had no idea! I'm planning to visit it at some point next week, while my wife is busy with the wedding stuff and preparing the reception feast for Tuesday after the wedding. I'd just be in her way anyway...
Ken,

I'll probably start a fresh thread to cover my experiences. Hope the weather is better for you than when I went to the top of the arch, as it was very misty, so couldn't see very far, except the ground!

Quick Reply: Peace and Quiet with an Evo!