EVO All Evo Model Discussion

87 xlh sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:54 AM
ashkat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 87 xlh sport

been having a problem this season , shes been spitting and sputtering at hwy speed, thought it might of been a plug wire, last fall it started running on one when we were going to the colorrama in the rain. this year it runs in the rain but i keep smelling gas and i notice lately there is a small gas puddle on the ground once in a while.that would explain the poor mileage and the rest, the gas is coming from a tube under the regulator, i thinks its the carb over flow? i had to drill out one of the air cleaner cover screws, the whole thing was turning in the back of the cover. i dont know if i got dirt in there or am i having a carb problem that needs rebuilding

Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,364 Posts

There is no "regulator." Stock carb? That carb was a total POS and borderline dangerous. Among other issues, it sounds like the float valve is dirty/shot. Anyway, cheapest solution: Rebuild the carb. Remember to clean out the idle air passage under the screw under the plug on top. A better solution would be to get a CV carb off a later sportster of the same displacement.

Last edited by Dr.Hess; 08-08-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM
ashkat
Novice

thanks for the reply, i think it does have a reg. and a stock carb, the guy i got it from said he had it costumized and converted to screaming eagle and he fried the reg. i had wires later that were welded to the bulb base in the tail light and the harness melted from the breaker under the seat to the head light... got that fixed but the carb drips once in a while, brother in law thought it might be the float and needle, looking for a kit on line or have to go down to wausau harley and see if they got one.....thanks for your time....

Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
HarleyMom883
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ashkat
thanks for the reply, i think it does have a reg. and a stock carb, the guy i got it from said he had it costumized and converted to screaming eagle and he fried the reg. i had wires later that were welded to the bulb base in the tail light and the harness melted from the breaker under the seat to the head light... got that fixed but the carb drips once in a while, brother in law thought it might be the float and needle, looking for a kit on line or have to go down to wausau harley and see if they got one.....thanks for your time....
I also have a 87 XLH Sportster, had the same problem with the gas leaking, every time
I went to take it out the tank was empty, changed to a newer but used carb. and was
told to just make sure I shut the gas off after I use it.
No problem after that, it is hard to turn off and on the gas though, put a new shut off
valve on it and it is still hard !!
What are you using for Primary and Transmission fluids, I need yo change mine, but
found nothing on our models ion this forum?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,364 Posts

HM,
Get a Pingle valve. Pricey, but if you order from Jireh, not too bad. You can switch it on and off with one finger. We had that same problem.

For the transmission fluid, right now, we are using full synthetic gear oil from Walmart. Supertech brand.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 483 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyMom883
What are you using for Primary and Transmission fluids, I need yo change mine, but
That is because you are in the Big Twin Evo forum but the tranny and primary fluid are the same in a Sporty, the two mix as the primary and tranny are not separate....use Harley Primary oil or 75W90 hypoid gear oil.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:40 PM
ashkat
Novice

Originally Posted by HarleyMom883
I also have a 87 XLH Sportster, had the same problem with the gas leaking, every time
I went to take it out the tank was empty, changed to a newer but used carb. and was
told to just make sure I shut the gas off after I use it.
No problem after that, it is hard to turn off and on the gas though, put a new shut off
valve on it and it is still hard !!
a local guy sold me some stuff, for the primary/trans. it called rev tech gear and chaincase lube for sportsters. xl and xr models take about a pint and a half.im sure the full synthetic gear oil from Walmart. Supertech brand is even better posted by dr hess.