EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Road King seat on 89 FLHT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 04:56 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts

I put an 09 seat on my 89...and it didn't sit right. The passenger seat angled back, but yours is a "newer" frame than the 89 and it looks fine on yours. Other than it lookin weird it was comfy. I ened up with an 06 RK seat on the 89.

Road King seat on 89 FLHT?-3uwzh21l.jpg

Old 04-25-2020, 08:20 PM
jcro61
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bparsel
So, if its an '08-'11 Seat you should be able to rework the front mount and go. Im guessing you got an even newer seat that you are working with that is setup for a 6 gallon tank. That will change the entire front angle of the seat. If that is the case you need to re-work the pan with a heat gun and then modify the front bracket.

See my thread here on how I tackled modifying a new Saddleman step up seat that was made for a 6 gallon tank and fit it to my '96 Ultra, its a few posts into the thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...classic-2.html
I am not sure exactly what year it came off of. I will have to check for a p/n on it. My buddy gave it to me to try out, he didn't know what year it was off either. It does seem to be way off at the tank and it probably is a newer seat...

I also have a seat for a 97-07 and that seems to be much closer out of the box. It appears if I cut a slot in the tank mount/frame it should fit perfect. I tried it as other suggested by kinda jamming it under the tank tab but when i sit on the bike the front of the seat moves side to side and it looks like crap.

Your saddlemen seat looks really good. I like that style of seat. I'd be afraid that if I took the seat apart I'd never get it back together...

Old 04-27-2020, 10:18 AM
fshaw
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I just fit a 97-07 Road King seat on a 90 FLHS. I also switched to a FLHR gas tank so no longer had the FLHS front tab that was part of the original gas tank mount. I cut the frame to accept the front mount on the 97-07 seat and drilled the back fender for the rear mount. I'm not sure why, but the seat pan would not properly fit the contour of my fender so I had to take the Dremel to that and cut a bit of the eat pan. This may be what caused Mountainkowboy's seat to tip back at the rear of the seat. I have it fitting well now and am confident that it will be secure when mounted up. One concern to be aware of is that is that the seat, as I have it mounted, is wide enough that it does not leave enough room to pull the side oil bag dip stick/stopper. To add a quart of oil I'll have to pull the seat each time. Not ideal but not a big deal since only one screw.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:07 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by fshaw
I just fit a 97-07 Road King seat on a 90 FLHS. I also switched to a FLHR gas tank so no longer had the FLHS front tab that was part of the original gas tank mount. I cut the frame to accept the front mount on the 97-07 seat and drilled the back fender for the rear mount. I'm not sure why, but the seat pan would not properly fit the contour of my fender so I had to take the Dremel to that and cut a bit of the eat pan. This may be what caused Mountainkowboy's seat to tip back at the rear of the seat. I have it fitting well now and am confident that it will be secure when mounted up. One concern to be aware of is that is that the seat, as I have it mounted, is wide enough that it does not leave enough room to pull the side oil bag dip stick/stopper. To add a quart of oil I'll have to pull the seat each time. Not ideal but not a big deal since only one screw.

Actually that was an 09 seat that leaned, the 06 Mustang RK seat I adapted fit with a little modification to the front of the pan.

Road King seat on 89 FLHT?-nmdro22l.jpg

Old 04-27-2020, 09:43 PM
jcro61
Stage IV

I just took a 97-07 seat apart today and used a heat gun to make it fit along the fender better. Now I have to put the seat back together... that’s the fun part right? 🤣

Old 04-28-2020, 02:44 AM
fshaw
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcro61
I just took a 97-07 seat apart today and used a heat gun to make it fit along the fender better. Now I have to put the seat back together... that’s the fun part right? 🤣
Great idea on the heat gun.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:06 PM
jcro61
Stage IV

Great idea on the heat gun.
Just stealing everyone elses ideas over here

The following users liked this post:
HD-Rooter (06-15-2020)