EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What's the Advantage to an Open Belt Primary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 05:25 PM
FXSTS93
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the Advantage to an Open Belt Primary?

Searched for this - surprised it hasn't been addressed. Looking at a 3" BDL Open Primary; what is the advantage? or is it more a cosmetic thing?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Joker's back
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Less maintenance, easy inspection. You have to be conscious of it at all times, though and you have to tolerate the clutch noise. The modern setups have the starter/solenoid mount so you don't have to go too far retro and actually kickstart your bike.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you should be asking is What are the disadvantages. I have seen bikes on the side of the road with broken belts. And yes more then one. I have yet to see a guy on the side of the road with a broken primary chain.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM
FXSTS93
Cruiser

Should have re-read my post - am looking at keeping or replacing it.
Open Prim is on my bike been riding it for about 13 months, noise is low and I inspect the belt regularly. So going back to the stock config, is just a money and weight consideration?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Went with the Rivera Primo Brute III primary belt drive/clutch kit to resolve a cracked case problem that was leaking primary oil. Turns out the tranny shaft seal was also leaking and the oil took out the new belt within a few hundred miles.

Got the tranny leak fixed and new belt on and am very happy with the new primary belt drive. Have put about 2K miles on it so far with no more problems. This one uses the original primary cases and I've installed mesh covers on the inspection and derby covers for cooling.

Yes, the clutch is noisier since no oil to dampen sound and open mesh covers. I do like the belt drive as it feels lighter than the chain/compensator setup so more responsive acceleration IMO.

From various threads on here the life expectancy of the belt is around 20K miles which is fine with me. Getting rid of that primary oil situation was worth it to me.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Well, a belt primary would be one way to fix my unfixable leaking stator plug. Seems like overkill just for that, though.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Well, a belt primary would be one way to fix my unfixable leaking stator plug. Seems like overkill just for that, though.
Yes and yes......you just don't have enough instant gasket round your plug yet :-)

Old 08-02-2011, 04:06 AM
KingPinVinny
Advanced

The advantage is u will have the enjoyment of replacing the belt everytime a rock or pebble kicks up into it, also u get to finally use the expensive medical insurance u pay for when ur sock/pants catch in it for the first time. U will be begging for the chain. Just my experiance.

Biggie
HAMC

Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Got belted?

Originally Posted by KingPinVinny
The advantage is u will have the enjoyment of replacing the belt everytime a rock or pebble kicks up into it, also u get to finally use the expensive medical insurance u pay for when ur sock/pants catch in it for the first time. U will be begging for the chain. Just my experiance.

Biggie
HAMC
I always thought the same thing when I saw those exposed, open belt drives spinning crazily. Mine is protected by the stock primary cover so unless you look close at the mesh derby cover it isn't even apparent that it's a belt drive.

Very ouch to get a pant leg sucked into that 3" belt I'd say!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:03 AM
KingPinVinny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Dont open belt systems have a enclosed plate to house the stator in oil for cooling? Otherwise it would get hot and self destruct? So wouldnt u still have a leaky stator plug?

Biggie
HAMC

Quick Reply: What's the Advantage to an Open Belt Primary?