EVO All Evo Model Discussion

what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
irydasteelhorse
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ok, maybe im off my rocker here, but i see something that hasnt been brought up. this is a REMANUFACTURED motor, which means it was refurbished inside and OUT. theres no way the MOCO is gonna put down new wrinkle finish paint where the jugs meet the cases. they have to use a template to "mask" the areas off where the two parts meet, so theres no chance of a leaking gasket due to the wrinkle finish. so, in the pics, thats all i see, no way that jug turned even the slightest. if the base gasket is seeping, replace it, or dont. ive ridden mine with a seep for 1 1/2 yrs now, no worries at all, but if it bothers you, its an easy fix.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though it has 20 on it I would bring it to the attention of the dealer. As far as the stud I have used easy-outs (Drill stud and it uses reverse thread) on several broken bolts with good results. I would do the rebuild as well motor looks nice and clean. Good luck
Cheers

Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 PM
hangin iron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default its apart

a little tricky to get things apart. to remove intake the cap screws wouldnt budge so i ended up taking off front head first.i also couldnt remove rocker cover on rear jug so i removed head bolts on it and it gave me the room to slide it forward enough to remove it.the motor wouldnt get low enough to allow rocker to lift off.i didnt remove primary.i just hope the install will be able to be done the same way.i bought hd gaskets instead of james or cometic.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 PM
hangin iron
Advanced
Default jug spin

well as far as the jug spinning i dont think its possible either. a dowel pin on primary side and two dowels on the head bolts on the other shouldnt allow that to happen.not to mention the cylinder slips down into the case.the good news i found was of all the cage engines ive taken apart, ive never seen the supposed cross hatch pattern in the cyl, i see it on this one.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 PM
hangin iron
Advanced
Default bubbles

the base gasket was bubbling. thats why i decided to do something especially with a 3000 mile trip coming up.and that book that i had bought 101 improvements which i havent gotten yet is supposed to have an idea about drilling out an oil control valley that helps reduce oil soaked a/c

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
hangin iron
Advanced
Default rings oclock

in the jeep motors i have built they wanted the rings at different oclock settings i was wondering if harley had any i couldnt find anything in my manual

Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 AM
1989 fxr
Advanced

I would not ride it until it was fixed! I had a cam bearing go and now I just finish putting in a new engine. small thinks add up fast and can lead to a lot of cash in the long run. A top end is not that hard just keep all the parts in order mark your push rods if they are not already and follow the manual. torque in stages and recheck all torque sepcs. don't try to torque cyl heads in one shot. It is well worth the time now then the cash later.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hangin iron
in the jeep motors i have built they wanted the rings at different oclock settings i was wondering if harley had any i couldnt find anything in my manual
My manual says to "stagger" the gaps aroound the piston. Be sure to use new rings and check the side clearence.
Hang in there.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM
hangin iron
Advanced

thanks thats what i figured

Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM
hangin iron
Advanced

ok next question. should i install both jugs, heads ,and intake before tourqeing heads

Quick Reply: what to do?