Could it - b - dirty gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Could it - b - dirty gas

Hi Guys

Never had this happen before. I have a new S&S Super "E" installed a couple of months ago. And my '84FLHT
started everytime ~ no problem.

Got gas a couple of days ago and headed out for my early Sunday morning meet-up with me club.My Harley started doing crazy dangerously things while I was on the highway.

It ran great for about 5 miles ~ Then is started JERKING, SLOWING DOWN THEN PICKING UP WITHOUT ME INCREASING ON THE THROTTLE. Then it SLOWED-DOWN to 60mph I encrease the throttle full-out and NOTHING. IT HELD @ 60mph.I couldn't get it over 60mph Like I was beating a DEAD HORSE !

Does it sound like anything that has EVER HAPPED TO YOU GUYS

Without taking the gas tank off the frame how would I get ALL THE GAS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE GAS TANK

Could it - B - an ELECTRICALLY PROBLEM. Its a new battery. Or a loose electrial connectiong ?

I'll wait till I hear from you guys - B - 4 - eye do anthing

Old 09-09-2012, 06:24 PM
blackbear
Tourer

sounds like bad gas and your jets got gunked up.I'd drain the tank completely and clean the filter and fill with fresh stuff and also drop the bowl on the carb and clean the jets out. To get 95% of the gas out of the tank put a hose on the petcock and put it on reserve and let the tank drain out into a jug.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Yea it's more than likely gas, clean out the system dude.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
HarleyReece
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I was on a buddy's hard tail not too long ago and had the same thing happen to me. Its a hopped up 124" s&s motor, and I was deep in a curve when she started cutting in and out, talk about the pucker factor.

I digress, it turned out to be one of the ignition wires being intermittently open, causing the surging. I've only just started becoming familiar with my evo, but bad gas to me wouldn't cause the hard surging like that. It is the easiest and cheapest thing to start with though.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I just went through this with the cv carb on my bike. I didn't change anything, it'd start an idle fine but not go over 50. I ended up replacing the diaphram an slide an cleaning everything up.

You could have bad gas or clogged jets in the carb.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
ClifWideGlide
Tourer
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Let me ask you, does the gas station you got gas at sell E85 gas? I work at a auto dealership and we get vehicles in that just don't want to run with any power & codes set. When the vehicles get warmed up to operating temp they will not run very good at all. We test the gas for ethanol content & find it to be E85 gas sometimes. Maryland has a few gas stations that sell E85 and the pumps are the same as the regular E10 gas. Most auto manufactures have TSB's on this problem and how to identify E85 gas.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyReece
I was on a buddy's hard tail not too long ago and had the same thing happen to me. Its a hopped up 124" s&s motor, and I was deep in a curve when she started cutting in and out, talk about the pucker factor.

I digress, it turned out to be one of the ignition wires being intermittently open, causing the surging. I've only just started becoming familiar with my evo, but bad gas to me wouldn't cause the hard surging like that. It is the easiest and cheapest thing to start with though.
Mine did the same exact thing when the front plug wire came loose from the coil. Make sure the plug wires are firmly snapped all the way together at both ends. If those check out and you still have the problem, then worry about the gas.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Question Hey Digger ~ How - R - U -

Hey Digger

Well if you went thru the same thing as I did; like you said; " Make sure the plug wires are firmly snapped all the way together at both ends. "

I replaced then quickly while on the way home at AutoZone,right in the park lot. Tighten 'em as usual
and STILL, JERKIN', EXCELLING, SLOWLING DOWN.
Got home and drain the tank. Yeap! There was dirt and small pieces of something or other coming out the gas tank.Plus,I foolishly went over wraped the PETCOCK THREADS with the teflone tape and found some small pieces of it coming out the gas tank.

I strained all the gas through cheese cloth. Looked into the tank as best I could with small flashlight and seen lightly colored brown stains. Couldn't see all the way into the tank.

I'm thinking of coating the tank. Never did that before. It seemed like a BIG PROCESS

Number of yrs.ago I bought a fancy replacement air cleaner cover ~ Live To Ride, Ride To Live on it.
The cover fitted tightly right under the right side of my '85FLHTC Electra Glide.

Shortly thereafter I started hearing a banging,pinging sound and discover the air cleaner cover was HITTING the bottom of my gas tank. I believe it LOOSEN the coating inside the tank and started the process of leaving tiny piece of dirt and tiny piece of something in the gas.

Wonder if you or the other guys EVER RE-COATED THE INSIDE OF YOU GAS TANKS And if you all were satisfide with the results.

Originally Posted by D1gger
Mine did the same exact thing when the front plug wire came loose from the coil. Make sure the plug wires are firmly snapped all the way together at both ends. If those check out and you still have the problem, then worry about the gas.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Thumbs up What Octane I Put Into My Harley

Hi ClifWideGlide

I always use HIGH TEST in my '85flhtc. I drained my gas thru cheese cloth and found little peice of teflone tape and litte piece of whatever caught in the cloth.

So the gas was good. I use texaco hight test 91 octane.

I'm considering re-coating my gas tank. Do you know anything about doing this

Originally Posted by ClifWideGlide
Let me ask you, does the gas station you got gas at sell E85 gas? I work at a auto dealership and we get vehicles in that just don't want to run with any power & codes set. When the vehicles get warmed up to operating temp they will not run very good at all. We test the gas for ethanol content & find it to be E85 gas sometimes. Maryland has a few gas stations that sell E85 and the pumps are the same as the regular E10 gas. Most auto manufactures have TSB's on this problem and how to identify E85 gas.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
HarleyReece
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up a set second hand extended tanks that the liner was coming apart on the inside. I put about 1' worth of chain inside and slightly shook it up to loosen any flaking tank sealer. Blew it out with compressed air and proceeded to paint tank the way I wanted it.

1000 miles later and the petcock filter is still clean. Just keep stabilized gas in the tank during times of storage (mine never sits more than a week though) and you won't have to worry about rust forming. Worked for me.

Quick Reply: Could it - b - dirty gas