EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Apparently, I have ride adjustable handle bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
CISO1969
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apparently, I have ride adjustable handle bars

Well I'm sure it's a Harley option or else I wouldn't have it? Right guys?

Well today was interesting. I swapped out the "Sons of anarchy" inspired side mirrors for OEM stock ones so I could actually see something, then after sitting on my Dyna looking at the unopened can of seafoam and making Vroom noises only to be interrupted by my attempts to remember how Fonzie used to sound...was it "heeeeeeeeeey" or "Ayyyyyyyyyyyy" , I did both, tried various pitches and even mussed up my hair a bit.

I then noticed that now in addition to the risers lightly denting the tach when I turn, the left control box and grip now hit the gas tank indicator. Very odd thought I...then tried to see if there was play in handle bars...there wasn't.

So after a horrible start...lots of that EVO clicking that I read about here and some nasty starter sounds I got going. I slowly went to the end of my street, made a right, stalled, got started, and then as I was making my second right, suddenly found my handlebars could move up down, up and down, and just up or down. AMAZING!

I was in that zone I haven't visited in a long time. That feeling, place and attitude that this **** is far too serious to freak out, panic or even scream out "Mother F'er" -it required you screwed your head on straight and do it fast buddy. I was on autopilot as I slowly downshifted and slowed the bike down and stopped. I couldn't believe it, the handlebars were flippy floppy if I exerted pressure. I put her in 1st and slowly rolled out and walked her the two blocks back, got an Allen wrench and tightened the 4 handlebar clamp screws on the riser and got her in the garage.

Safety first right? So after I got back from my kids bday party I looked up the torque specs (12-16 FT lbs-I chose 14) and then got the old Torque wrench out and proceeded to torque them down (you may see already where this is going) well I heard the clicks and then moved to each bolt in line. the last one the head just fell out so I never made it to the 4th. The click I heard wasn't the torque wrench signaling torque was fine, it was the head snapping off each bolt. This was the time to say "Mother F'er" and say it I did, once for each bolt!

I call the Harley Parts guy and he has the bolts that go to my riser clamps. He states "Even if after market they use the same bolts usually" so I am pleased, the bolt sections are sticking out so should be able to back them out after a firm grip with a plier and turning them and the replacements are a 10 minute drive away.

What I find out when I get there really irked me. Mine are not the OEM Size they are way smaller, hence why the snapped at 14 foot pounds, more importantly, that was all that was between me and losing control of my bike? Teeny bolts that snap at 14 foot pounds? What kind of cheap POS risers did this guy use?

OK So I did get replacement bolts that should work, but the screw bits are stuck in their good I am guessing I'll have to break out the old broken bolt extractor set--major pain in the *** for something I really am now planning to replace.

I'm tempted to buy OEM risers tomorrow and just swap them out, but the thought of around $150 new when I had planned to take my time and get them used off ebay or the board at my leisure for half that also Irks me.

So guys what are your thoughts? Should I attempt to remove the remaining screw bits and reuse this same riser and handle bar clamps until I can get the replacement one in my own time for a good deal? Replace it immediately since its obviously whimpy and not even OEM specs for the bolts?

What is your feeling on used risers versus brand new OEM? Is that a part that a lot can be damaged on it that I wouldn't see on examination of a used one? (warped bent etc) or is it a part that you shouldn't even fool with buying it used--IE buy the new OEM one as it is always the safest. Just like you should never buy a used or old helmet.

Love to hear some opinions on this. I am actually a lot more annoyed and upset then my writing style is letting you see--I have not had a lot of time to ride this yet for one reason or another and only have had it about 3 weeks or so! I'm racing the weather and seasons here

Thanks and look forward to your thoughts.

Lee

Last edited by CISO1969; 11-09-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 493 Likes on 281 Posts

Moving bars is a very common problem, with OEM risers and bolts its usually the thread that goes and you have to helicoil the risers.

Don't use a torque wrench on small stuff like that....do it manually and get a feel for how tight they need to be to stop the bars moving.

Some aftermarket risers are so far out of round that you'll never get them to grip.

Go for 2nd hand OEM and check the threads carefully.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:45 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Get some good Socket head cap screws from your local ACE. Not the chrome ones. The black ones will be less expensive (probably stronger too) and you're going to replace the whole outfit anyway. That way you can ride while you search for some new take-offs on eBay or whatever.
Good thing you didn't get hurt.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

some say cut up beer cans, plumbers sand paper and others will advocate a det screw in the pretty riser. not too sure bout them but some blue loctite will go a long way at the upper end of the factory specs

Old 11-09-2013, 08:10 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't use a torque wrench on the clamp screws. I apply a couple of drops of blue loctite and like Spanners said, crank 'em down by "feel", criss crossing several times. I would imagine they are more than 16 ft lbs, though. Then I give the bars a good "wiggle and jerk" test before riding off into the sunset. You can get away with cheap bars, but don't skimp on risers/hardware.
Like you realized, that little bit of hardware is what keeps you off the pavement.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I was talking to a local builder recently and he told me that to fix floppy bars he used to put a 10/32 sized star washer between the risers and the bars.

Like one of these
http://almabolt.com/pages/catalog/washers/star.htm

Old 11-10-2013, 06:38 PM
CISO1969
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I was talking to a local builder recently and he told me that to fix floppy bars he used to put a 10/32 sized star washer between the risers and the bars.

Like one of these
http://almabolt.com/pages/catalog/washers/star.htm

That's interesting, it's basically a lock washer.

Lee

Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by CISO1969
That's interesting, it's basically a lock washer.

Lee

That is basically right but when you put it in the valley of the riser then the points dig into the riser and the handle bar so that the handle bars don't flop anymore.

Mike

Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM
CISO1969
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
That is basically right but when you put it in the valley of the riser then the points dig into the riser and the handle bar so that the handle bars don't flop anymore.

Mike
Oh I got ya. The spikes dig in, and you in effect crush the washer.

Lee

Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 AM
CISO1969
Cruiser

OK so I procrastinated and kept looking at the bike cursing these damn after market risers. This technique paid off as my new to me (used part) OEM risers & Clamp, and my new polyurethane bushings arrived Friday and Saturday.

Today is the day I replace the risers and bushings and get "Betsy" back on the road.

Next, new spark plugs and wires and swap out some worn out OEM foot pegs with used nearly new OEM ones.

Heck I may go crazy and install the "period correct" Engine guard with footpegs (off a 2000 Dyna I think-NOT a Lindy bar).

I can't find torque specs or bolt sizes in any manual I have, OEM or aftermarket for the bolts that go through the bushings and hold on the risers.

Anyone know? I'm curious as after my bolt snapping party last week I probably will use blue Loctite and tighten as tight as I can plus a 1/4 turn.

Thanks,

Lee

Quick Reply: Apparently, I have ride adjustable handle bars