Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Thoughts on OEM gaskets with THeader? TC88

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:27 AM
OneTrashyDyna
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on OEM gaskets with THeader? TC88

Did a search and have found varied opinions. I've installed and reinstalled my THeader using new SE gaskets three times now and cannot get a proper seal on the rear port. Doesn't seem like the THeader goes far enough into the port to press against the gasket.

At this point I'm not sure whether to try the stock gaskets, or double up on the SE ones. Seems like the exhaust should push further into the ports, but the bolt for the mid control is rubbing the bottom pipe and I can't see a way around that.

Anyone use the stock gasket for a THeader? '02 FXD. I'm only concerned about the tapered style protruding into the port. And yes, I've tighten the nuts evenly and torqued to spec each time, just will not seal

Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Does the T.H. have tapered or square flanges on the head pipes? That will determine which gaskets you should be running. Don't be afraid to torque the flange nuts beyond the torque spec, it seems on most systems to get a good tight seal we have to go beyond the spec to get them sealed. After you put some miles on the bike, check the nuts as they will most likely be loose as the gasket crushes and the head pipes really take a seat.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:36 AM
OneTrashyDyna
6th Gear

It's rounded off on the edges, another reason I figured I'd try the stock gaskets. After getting pissed last night I did crank the rear ones down well passed what my brain said was a good idea. No change after checking with a lighter

Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 PM
OneTrashyDyna
6th Gear

Well, went ahead with the OEM gaskets. Exhaust would not set into the port far enough to allow the nut to thread onto the lower stud on the front jug. Managed to get it to grab, but then found it was stripped.

So now I'm stuck trying to weld a nut onto there to remove it, if that doesn't work I may as well pull the motor and start ordering parts for my winter build