Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Protecting and storing an exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Nicotine
Intermediate
Received 38 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Protecting and storing an exhaust

I made a boo-boo and posted this on someone else's thread and dont know how to remove it... Soz's about that, But me thinks I have it right now

Two weeks ago I bought the new 2018 Custom Sportster and got the dealer to bang on V/H Short shots, Yesterday I went and collected the original exhaust system and wrapped them in bubble wrap to put in storage,

It was after they were all wrapped / tapped up and boxed that I started to wonder if I should have sprayed them inside and out with the likes of ACF50
I cant say for sure if these exhaust were used for the 4km test ride or if they would have had the Shortshots on... they don't smell like they been used,
Also don't know how long they will be in storage for, We don't have any M.O.T OR Mandatory bike checks before you put a bike on the road here at the moment But I have a feeling it wont be too long before a yearly check type thingy will be enforced Which is my reason for keeping the exhaust system,
I would like to hear any advice you's may give on the storage Which could be long term

In anticipation of your help I thank you

Old 02-09-2018, 06:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hello old chap, from across the Irish Sea! I've kept exhausts for many years unprotected without problems. If you can keep them in the loft of your house, rather than in a damp cold garage, they will be better off. The chrome on the outside will show corrosion before the internals get bad enough to rot through. If you put any goo inside there will be an awful stink and smoke for ages after you start up! Best to avoid that IMHO.

The following users liked this post:
Nicotine (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Nicotine
Intermediate
Thumbs up

Hello Sir Graham

Thank you for your reply, I was beginning to think this was posted in the wrong place again due to the lack of replies, I see you live in the UK so no need for me to explain how damp it can get here in Ireland, So much moisture in the air here that every house should have a built in dehumidifier,

I know your area gets a lot colder but found it to have a lot less rain, Don't know if wrapping them in bubble wrap was a good idea or not... Thinking it may have trapped moisture inside that over time may do damage,

When the bike was ready to collect they also gave me a years free membership of the HOG :-) And have seen on your post that you are a founder member I must find out how to join a local chapter, The nearest one I can find is in Waterford which is about an hours ride from my home, it would be nice to have a few ride outs with the group during the summer,

Thanks again for your reply And yes it looks like the loft is just about the safest place to store them

Last edited by Nicotine; 02-09-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Hi Mike, at the time I joined HOG, back in 1983, the only 'chapters' were for the big twins and Sportsters IIRC, the dealer scheme came along much later. Like you we're at least an hour away from our nearest and preferred dealer, so frankly don't participate in local chapter activities. It's a nice enough ride there and back! On the other hand a pal of mine, also a long-standing Harley owner, is besotted with his local chapter and getting over more pulled into helping to run it. Beware!

Old 02-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I've stored exhaust in my non-climate-controlled garage for years w/no problems. Normally I wipe down and remove all fingerprints (windex and/or 409). If I feel like it, and they're chrome, I work a layer of chrome polish on them aw well. Then wrap & store...no worries.

Nicotine (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:18 AM
Nicotine
Intermediate

I don't mind the hour ride to Waterford, it's a nice little run that's been done many times over the years in the Car /Van on fishing trips, As far as I know the only other chapter is in Dublin which is where I got the bike from, Dublin is a 2 hour ride and not such a pleasant journey,

I will be sure to avoid getting too involved with the group as it is real easy to let things takeover your free time, Just a few runs and gatherings would suit me fine

Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 AM
Nicotine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Iceman24
I've stored exhaust in my non-climate-controlled garage for years w/no problems. Normally I wipe down and remove all fingerprints (windex and/or 409). If I feel like it, and they're chrome, I work a layer of chrome polish on them aw well. Then wrap & store...no worries.
Hello Iceman

Well it looks like they will now have to be unwrapped and cleaned down. When I collected them them were in the Vance & Hines box with no wrapping what so ever, This means whoever took them off could have had contaminated them with anything, And I handled them while wrapping So a good clean and polish is well needed,

Thank you for pointing this out

Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I wouldn't wrap them in bubble wrap or any kind of plastic- it holds moisture. Use some old towels or sheets after you've cleaned them up and put a good coat of wax on.

Nicotine (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Nicotine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevil
I wouldn't wrap them in bubble wrap or any kind of plastic- it holds moisture. Use some old towels or sheets after you've cleaned them up and put a good coat of wax on.

Hello Nevil,

Thank you for the reply, Looks like the exhaust system are going to be Cleaned / polished / waxed / wrapped in sheets and stored in the loft,
I would never have thought about cleaning the hand prints off them until iceman mentioned it, there's some of them moisture absorbing thingies around the house somewhere.. if i come across them they will be put in a container in the box with the wrapped system,

I will sort it tomorrow, This has put my mind at ease on this subject, All 3 of you had good ideas and for that I thank you's all again