Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

valve adjustment on TC96?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default valve adjustment on TC96?

Wondering how all you out there have done your valve adjustments! Do youhave to take the tank off? Also, how do you get the clearance to remove the valve covers? How is the crank rotated to isolate each valve? Its not like a car engine where you can turn the crank over by the crank pulley!

Last thing, are the valves adjusted by the rockers, or do they have screw adjusters or are they buckets?

Im a tech for Lexus and will understand normal terminology. Much thanks in advance!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: valve adjustment on TC96?

If youhave a stock twincam, there is no adjustment to the lifters/pushrods/valves.

The pushrods are a fixed length, and the rockers are non-adjustable. Quite a few that change cams will change out the pushrods to adjustable pushrods to allow for fine tuning and at times to eliminate valve train clatter. If it is stock, nothing to do.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:28 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a Toyota tech, cool. West Covina Toyota.

If you motor is stock, there is no adjustment. it has hydraulic lifters.

If you did cams, like I did you prabably have adjustable pushrods now.

and there are a couple of ways to do it. the S&S way is to have the cam to be adjusted on the base, then losen the adjuster nut and back off the pushrod. Then adjust down until there is no endplay, then go down 3 to 4 turns and lock em up. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes or more before moving to the next one.

hope that helps

Old 12-17-2007, 09:14 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Of course this doesn't apply to stock bikes, but guys with adjustables have chased noise in vain for years by fiddling with the pushrods. For the most part, it is a wasted effort when you have hydraulic lifters. A turn this way or that rarely makes any difference if you adjusted them properly to begin with.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, cool. In my haste I forgot that my bike was not overhead CAM. lol, so there goes the buckets/screw adjuster idea!

Hmm... well I guess that puts me more at ease. I just remember that the book say at 1K they needed to adjust the valves. but as they are hydraulics and set at the factory...yall are right.

Im pretty happy with my bike with the stock cams. last time I checked I can go from zero to HOLY CRAP in a few seconds. good enough for me!

thanks for the clarification! Mentor, I work for Tustin Lexus. Question, you guys been having valve spring issues with your UR series v8s?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are enjoying you bike "as is" you will realy dig it after some headwork and cams!

The V Rod has the valve spring buckets and all the comforts of home for us Import guys!

yesterday I rode to work and came home in the drizzile! I had to slowly and gently squeeze the thottle as to not awaken the torque gods in my HQ 95! As i rolled out of the shop I cracked her a tad too hard and I started to fishtail abit!

as for UR engine issues, I have not seen any yet, just some complaints about the Tacomas lifter noises.