Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Idle "lopes".. untill 2000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Woods Glen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle "lopes".. untill 2000 RPM

OK.&nbsp\\; I've had this bike for a year.&nbsp\\; its a 91 flhs with a delcron casing and revtech jugs and heads. &nbsp\\; It has a 96 CU.IN big bore stroker - it was dyno tuned at 100 HP and 105 lbs torque
its set up for nitrous ( but never run on nitrous)&nbsp\\; it has a single fire ignition with dual coils and a 4 plug setup
Has a Hyper charger sitting on an S&amp\\;S Super G.

here's the deal..&nbsp\\; if i go through town i have to ride with the clutch in and glide.. and feed it some throttle, then glide again.&nbsp\\; It idles like its cammed way the heck outta site.

As far as torque and speed.. it's about the fastest Harley I've ever been on.. especially if you want to short shift from from stop light to stop light.

BUT..

what about this idle...&nbsp\\; it sounds like it fires on about every 3rd or 4th revolution at an idle..&nbsp\\; you have to keep torquing the throttle or it will load up.. if you're not "pulling" on the engine below 2K.. it does this looping thing where it puts all this slop in the drive train becuase its loping up and down .... touch the throttle and you better be hanging on..

So..&nbsp\\; going from metric bike to this being my first harley..&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; what does it sound like to you guys..&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; And Bolts..&nbsp\\; S.O.B...&nbsp\\; I almost need to preflight this thing...

I've tried adjusting the carb..&nbsp\\; OH.. here's another clue...&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; If i roll up to a light.. lay off the throttle..&nbsp\\; it takes a minute for it to "settle" down to an idle..&nbsp\\; in other words.. the rpm's fall off like they have a mind of their own.. not like you have a quick deceleration..

OK.. i can understand if this thing has a radical cam and it does not like to idle like a John Deere Model A...&nbsp\\; but the engine taking its time to come to idle ( throttle is fine,. it snaps free..)..&nbsp\\; and it firing like a make &amp\\; brake engine at idle has me puzzled...&nbsp\\; ( for you young guys.. basically it fires once in a while aat an idle.. and runs on its own inerta until it fires again..)

and the excessive loping at 1500 RPM...

Does this sound like a serious intake manifold leak to you guys??..

If it would help I could take video and stream it from my server?...

what am i missing?

I'm in Union Bridge Maryland if anyone is close and wants to have a look...

Wayne

[IMG]local://upfiles/28084/62E3A84AAE5D4ADFA719C8967B28FB00.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Idle "\\;lopes"\\;.. untill 2000 RPM

sounds like a fairly wild cam to me..... people tend to really over cam engines, seems all they care about is how it runs WFO...

Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
bluesguitar
Intermediate
Default RE: Idle "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;lopes"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;.. untill 2000 RPM

Hi, my 06 does the same thing. It's a built 95" with S&amp\\;\\\\\\;S 585 cams. I called S&amp\\;\\\\\\;S and they said it's not going to sound like a Top Fueler if it's tuned right. I'm going to check my intake seals. Mine gets a little better when it warmed up. The guy at S&amp\\;\\\\\\;S says I shouldn't ride under 2300 RPM. I think he's nuts, Low gear with a Fat Cat in my hood is way to loud. I'm gonna spray WD-40 on the flange today.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\ ; Terry

Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
RichLo
Banned
Default RE: Idle "\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;lopes"\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;.. untill 2000 RPM

You have too much money for your own good.
&nbsp\\;
that is how a Harley engine is designed... these motors are air cooled so&nbsp\\;they have a very unique crankshaft design.&nbsp\\;why do you think a honda v-twin doesnt sound like a hearly v-twin?
&nbsp\\;
this 'loping'&nbsp\\;you describe just isnt as wild on a stock bike because they are designed for torque (different camshaft design) for up to 5500rpm.&nbsp\\; if your motor is built right that cam will still give power up to 7000+rpm.&nbsp\\; PLUS you have a nitrous cam which has very wide lobe separation wihich will also add to your idle "problem"
&nbsp\\;
no fix for it besides give me your motor and Ill send you one without as much idle lope.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Colonel Sanders
Advanced
Default RE: Idle "\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;lopes"\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;.. unti

PLUS you have a nitrous cam which has very wide lobe separation wihich will also add to your idle "problem"

The wider the LSA the less overlap you have (all else being equal) and therefore the smoother idle you will have.&nbsp\\;

Glen, it might tell alot if you knew the specs of that cam.