Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Hot right side pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Maple Leaf Hog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot right side pipe

I ride a 2006 FLHTI, with Vand H Oval slip-ons.&nbsp\\; No other mods done.
The bike has 16,000 km on it.&nbsp\\; When I ride for say an hour or more the right side muffler seems to be getting very hot, even heating up the contents of the saddle bag.&nbsp\\; The left side seems ok.
When I changed the plug in the spring they apperared to be ok.
Any suggestions.&nbsp\\; I don't recall this problem from last year.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 AM
daxxer
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hot right side pipe

Heya!&nbsp\\; Don't know if this helps and is slightly different but somehow sounds strangely familiar!
&nbsp\\;
https://www.hdforums.com/m_3548086/m...tm.htm#3548227
&nbsp\\;
I ordered the deflector from RJ and it was to ship out yesterday.&nbsp\\; I'm anxiously awaiting the dang thing!
&nbsp\\;
Peace

Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hot right side pipe

I would not consider that a problem. Most of the exhaust with the stock pipes (not to be confused with the mufflers attached at the ends of those pipes) flows out the right side.

When they went with O2 sensors for 07 they put the rear O2 sensor on the (what would normally be called the) crossover pipe. The left-side muffler is drastically different from the right-side muffler now as well. The right-side unit is of conventional design with chambers/baffles (and perhaps a catalytic element in some markets now?). The left-side unit is merely a large hollow can which appears to have a very thin layer of insulation inside. At the tail end of the can is a short section of pipe, folded closed on the interior end, with about a dozen pea-sized holes along the inside-the-can part of the cylinder, open to the world on the outside end.

When installing aftermarket mufflers, some folks have gone to a smaller baffle on the left and/or drastically closed it off internally as it has been noted that with a wide-open baffle on the left that fresh air is often drawn back into the left, and across the rear O2 sensor, falsifying the reading that sensor obtains in various operating conditions.