Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam chain adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
pro1955
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam chain adjusters

I'm going to replace the adjusters do I need any special tools? I already have adjustable pushrods.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:14 AM
00glider
Cruiser
Default RE: Cam chain adjusters

If all you are going to do is replace both cam chain tensioners you don't need too many special tools to do it correctly, but the secondary chain and tensioner are behind the cam support plate, so it needs to be removed to get to it.
You do have a manual,... right?
It's not a hugely difficult amount of work, but it is time consuming if you haven't done it before. Get all the o-rings and gaskets and locktite you need as well before starting. A torque wrench is a must as well as a spring retension pin or equivalent coat hanger wire(HD-????) a cam chain tension unloader (HD-42313), a small retaining ring remover/installer, and a set of hex head sockets or wrenches to take a lot of bolts on and off.

IMOO, this would be a good time to replace that problem with a gear drive set, but then you need special bearing pullers and installers - but they are rentable. I did that over the winter. Couldn't be happier to not worry about the tensioners ever again.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:36 AM
pro1955
Road Captain

Where can you rent special tools? Can you buy the tools from Harley? How much was the gear drive set up and who makes them?

Old 05-08-2006, 02:11 AM
00glider
Cruiser

Hey Oly man,

I rented the tools from the parts supplier for my entire big bore and cam change I did this past winter.
This was from a HDWrench (Steve) - a sponsor on this forum at GMR Performance in Preston, AZ.
At the time, he rented me everything I needed to do a gear driven cam and bearing change for $50, but I know he raised the rate to $100 because some unscrupulous guys either ruined or kept his tools. Bad apples in my book. You can look these tools up on e-Bay and other places like Jim's, J&P, etc. I'm sure HD can sell them too, but they are expensive and not a good deal to buy if you only need them once.

I believe the "gear drive" design for cams that replace the standard chain drive are patented and/or licenced by S&S and manufactured by Andrews Cams for S&S and others. Cams made for these gears are produced by a number of other cam manufacturers including these two. Replacing the chains with gears eliminates a lot of maintenance worries and potential disasters should the chain tensioners disintegrate and clog your oil passages or throw metal into your oil pump or worse. Every second they are in there they are breaking down.

Gear drives and cams are not cheap. The gear drive set and install kit (gasket and bearings) are around $350. Gear drive cams are around $250 and up. So count on $550 for parts. In the process of doing this, you can get both higher performance due to both more efficient direct-drive parts, no timing slop due to tensioned chains, and perhaps a hotter cam to your liking. Plus, you get much higher reliability. Negative side is reportedly a louder whine from the gears, but proper gear size matching if needed to minimize runout also minimizes the noise. Personally, I like the slightly subtle difference the whine added to my bike.

Given the cost of parts and tools, this might be a good job for a dealer or experienced builder to do for you, but if the cost and experience don't scare you - go for it.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Jonpaul
Cruiser

If you're going to the trouble of changing to gear driven cams, consider installing an S&S "reed valve." This valve is easy to install while you're doing the cams and helps prevent oil blowing out of your air cleaner and flowing over your bike.