Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear drive cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:42 PM
english
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear drive cams

thinking about 95 kit 203 cam on my r/k/classic but dont know about the gear drive cams some peaple are saying they are noisey
if i leave the cam chain set up would that be a problem not to worried the 5 or so hp gain from the gear drive set up just want a bit more drive two up etc.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:47 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: gear drive cams

My understanding is the SE 203 cam is a good choice for torque increase, but if you stay with a chain drive cam, the tensioner shoe issue remains. I know there are gear driven cam sets that are very close to the 203, but I'm too old to remember which ones they are.

Guys, smarter than me, suggest replacing the cam bearings as well.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:52 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice for a big bore is Kuryakyn Wild Things TC2G (gear drive cams)...what noise?

Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My FLTRI started out with the 95" Bigbore Stage II with 204 cams. Added a HD Race Fueler to enrichen the AF mix. Ran great, lots of torque, good mileage. Just changed to the Andrews Gear Drive with Andrews 26G cams and a Dynojet Power Commander IIIusb. This modification elimnates the cam chain tensioner issue AND the elcrappo cam bearings issue, of which both, if they fail, can severely damage an engine. Noise? Very minimal gear whine.....actually quieter than the cam chains flying around in there. Power is excellent, flat and linear torque curve, mileage seems to be as good and throttle response is much better. If you plan on keeping your bike for a long time, it is worth the investment.

I'd do it again. There is a TON of info on the gear driven cams on this website. Merely do a search and you'll be up all night reading about what others have done.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:47 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

THERE IS MORE NOISE BUT NOT SOMETHING THAT YOU CANT STAND. MUCH MORE RELIABILITY AND A HEALTHEY TORQUE AND HP GAIN AS WELL. WITH A 95 INCH AND NO COMPRESSION CHANGE ANDREWS TW-37 WORKS GREAT. I AM PUSHING 100 FT LBS TQ WITH THEM.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

my gear drives dont make noise, but they sure do make POWER

Old 10-08-2006, 10:03 PM
bjornsson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed my chain drive cams at 35k to replace with gear drive. Surprised when I found one tensioner shoe worn completely thru. Go with the gears, you will never worry about them again. Yes there is some noise, but not like a gear drive small block chevy. S&S makes a 510 lift that bolts in with no other mods necessary, supposed to be great for baggers. I went with 570 and am very happy.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 159 Posts

The gear drive cams I installed in my RKC made no noise. I took my time and made sure the gear lash was in spec. I think people that experience gear drive noise have too much gear lash and don't take the time to install the correct gear size to compensate for it. Gear drive is the only way to go.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered the 510 kit for my 2000 95 cc that has 203 cams now .what im hearing now is the timeing chain dont like it. The cam kit should take care of that noise. I have ordered a S@S reed valve that slides over the cam shaft I really don't under stand it that much other then letting the engine breath better, keeps presure down small increase in power

Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I've head stock HD cams, SE 211's, Woods TW-5G's w/SE Heads, 95" Flat tops, SE 6200 Ignition, and now my 06 SG with the standard Big Bore Stage 2 kit (95" with 203's). My stock heads with 95" and 203's is my favorite combo yet. I LOVE the low end of the 203's and I don't feel you give anything up at the top of the rev band. Mine pull HARD all the way to redline and will still produce solid power at 95MPH. My Woods gear drives were NOISY and peaky. Just my opinion. That gear whine really drove me crazy. I never got used to it. SE Cams are way underrated in my book.

Quick Reply: gear drive cams