Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Big Sucker

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:08 AM
rodder37
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Sucker

I Ordered a "Big Sucker" Stage I air filter part# AN18-505 for my 06 Softail standard injected. The description on the Eastern Performance website stated it would fit the 06 fuel injected FXSTI. When I went to install it, the 2 mount/vent holes lined up but the 3 filter mount holes were about a half a hole off..... if that makes sence. If any of you have an 06 injected 88 with a big sucker installed could you tell me what part# you used? If I have the right part maybe it was a bad machining job or something. Thanks for any info you guys can share.

Mike

Old 10-24-2006, 09:24 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 164 Posts
Default RE: Big Sucker

I had the same problem with mine. I enlarged all five thru holes so that I could put the screws in with no load on the threads. If you force them in, over time with the vibration something is going to break.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:18 AM
rodder37
Advanced

I talked to the guys at Arlen Ness and the guy I talked to wanted pics so I sent the pics and a written explaination to what happened. My e-mail got forwarded to a tech guy and this is what he wrote:

Hello Michael,
This is Danny in the tech dept. Joel showed me the pictures and explained the problem. It looks to me that it is the throttle body itself that is cocked just a few degrees. Joel has sent a new backing plate. If the new one does not correct the problem, I would loosen the intake manifold at the cylinder head (two allen bolts on each side), bolt our backing plate to the throttle body, then offer the backing plate to the cylinder heads. If the breather holes do not line up at this point, and with the manifold bolts loosened, give the backing plate a little twist (do not force) until everything lines up and is "normalized" (not stressed), then tightened everything up. If this doesn't work, please contact us again. We do sell hundreds of these kits and have never seen the problem you are having, so this is our best advice.
Hope this helps, Danny

Then I wrote back:

I will see if the other plate works before I do anything to the throttle body. My factory air cleaner fit perfectly. I have had it on and off a few times this week. Everything was straight. I don't know about the 96" engines on the 07's, but I would think they would be a little different than the 88" that I have on my 06. Thanks for the quick reply!! I really appreciate it.

I hope it is just the plate and everything goes together. But the more I think about it.... I would think the 96" would have slightly different dementions. Maybe someone who knows for sure can shed some light on the subject.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:40 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 164 Posts

If the Arlen Ness backing plate was made correctly, it should swap out with the factory backing plate with no issues. My original housing didn't have any alignment problems. I have herd of the Arlen Ness backing plates breaking which most likely is from being installed in a stressed condition.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

I just installed the 06 big sucker on my 07. The mounting holes were fine.

The gasket did not line up.

I just used the gasket fron the stock air cleaner and all if fine.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:16 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

I have a big sucker on my 2006 FSXTI...can't recall the part # but it fit perfectly w/ no issues