Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness Big Sucker Back Plate Cracked-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ness Big Sucker Back Plate Cracked-Help!

well....waiting all week for it to get here. i get the gaskets on and i'm attaching the back plate and tightening down the three bolts that actually screw into the throttle body and torqued the thing to the correct spec and it cracked the backing plate. any suggestions on what i should do? the gasket is holding the cracked piece in place but if you push it it moves. i'm afaid it may get sucked into the motor via the throttle body somewhere down the road if i install it anyway. do you think it will still be ok or do you think i should ask for an exchange? *** i wanted to ride tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Ness Big Sucker Back Plate Cracked-Help!-2009_10240062.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Call Ness and see what they say.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

i did that but it's saturday and they're closed. i'll have to call back on monday. i couldn't imagine them not making good on this, i mean, i torqued it to spec, it cracked, wtf? i'm thinking now i might want to actually ask for my money back if the thing is that fragile. i'm pissed!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Steve0
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow sorry to hear that bmx. You should definitely get a replacement.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happened to me and i contacted Arlen Ness which told me to contact the company I ordered it through and i would get a replacement in a few days. When i contacted Realhog.com they said no problem! My Replacement came in 3 days.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:18 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by crazytrain69
I had the same thing happened to me and i contacted Arlen Ness which told me to contact the company I ordered it through and i would get a replacement in a few days. When i contacted Realhog.com they said no problem! My Replacement came in 3 days.
well that's reassuring dude, thank you. being that i bought it from ness direct, i'm going to assume they won't give me a problem with replacing it. did they make you return the entire unit or just the backplate? this has been buggin me all wknd. glad to hear i'm not the only one this happened to, the metal they use on that thing seems almost hollow. i just wanna fukin ride man......

Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bmxatv
well that's reassuring dude, thank you. being that i bought it from ness direct, I'm going to assume they won't give me a problem with replacing it. did they make you return the entire unit or just the backplate? this has been buggin me all wknd. glad to hear i'm not the only one this happened to, the metal they use on that thing seems almost hollow. i just wanna fukin ride man......
Realhog.com didn't even ask to see it they just took my word and sent me the new backing plate no questions asked. Had the bike back on the road the day it came in. That crap they use to make the backing plate with is a pile of ****. the next time you torque it down I would go just under specs and use loctite on them. the direction i was sent had the torque wrong. the sent me the right ones with the new backing plate. I can't find the paper to give you the right ones.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:06 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

oh great....they're putting the wrong torque specs on the install directions? well that's fuked up. did they tell you that? i'm callin first thing tomorrow and they better not give me any ****. thanks again train!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bmxatv
oh great....they're putting the wrong torque specs on the install directions? well that's fuked up. did they tell you that? i'm callin first thing tomorrow and they better not give me any ****. thanks again train!
Well i think the specs i received were from realhog not Ness but i could be wrong. anyway i don't think you will have any issues at all.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:55 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine cracked also and Ness changed it with out any question,

Quick Reply: Ness Big Sucker Back Plate Cracked-Help!