Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness Big Sucker Back Plate Cracked-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytrain69
Sorry it took so long for you to get a reply! LOL! Been busy with sick kids and wife. I think that sound you hear is normal myself. Mine also makes a noise when you shut it down as well. When i go riding with people and they hear that when i shut the bike off are always saying what the hell was that. that's just the big sucker! i could be wrong but it sure makes the bike run great. good to hear you got the new one on with no issues and it sounds like your bike is running great. Did Ness send you a new install instruction sheet? where the torque specs the same?
no worries bro. i been in bed sick for the last week myself but started feeling better and thought i'd install it and take it for a rip. mine makes that same noise when it shuts down too, kind of like a whew......sound, like i just beat the ***** of it or something. bike seems to run better than with the SE HB intake, seems like more low end, could just be me though. no new install instructions though....just took my time and cranked everything to spec nice and slow. they did send me extra gaskets though at my request. thanks for all your help bro!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
That sound is normal. It's just the sucking in of more air. Mine does it too.
just wanted to make sure, thanks HogRider. funny, the SE HB i was running prior to this didn't do that and that was an open filter with no restriction. i like this thing already and the bike seems to like it better to boot.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's cracked too :

Gotta swap it out next year when I get the bike out of storage.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:12 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by KnightWRX
Mine's cracked too :

Gotta swap it out next year when I get the bike out of storage.
that's fvcked up. mine cracked in the same exact spot dude. how the fvck do they not know this is a problem? as long as they don't give you **** for replacing i guess it's all good but what a fvcken hassle.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Markoantoniojr
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are these backing plates made of?
im interested in buying the big sucker too but i dont through this too.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Markoantoniojr
what are these backing plates made of?
im interested in buying the big sucker too but i dont through this too.
i have no clue, some type of cast. it almost looks like it has tiny holes in it after inspecting the cracked one i have. kind of pissed but they sent me a new one and no problems with that one, so far. if something happens to this one i'm fabbin my own backplate.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 PM
bmac1000
Cruiser

Man that is f/d up way to many cracked plates,if it did suck that piece in you would have a rather expensive hunk of busted up harley,is ness gonna replace that to?No way in hell would I put that on my bike knowing what I know now all for maybe 2-3 more horse if that,no fn way!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like this list is getting bigger and bigger! I guess we should all keep track of this. If some one does get a piece of that **** sucked up in there engine there might be a class action lawsuite on Arlen Ness. I'm thinking about changing mine out for something else now. I just might go to a forcewinder. Who knows when that backing plate will just might fall apart. That would really **** me off!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Markoantoniojr
4th Gear

it says it an aluminum backing plate, aluminum is kindda hard to crack, for over 180 bucks thats kind of a rip off.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
aleisha79
Stage IV

I cracked mine too. Im a little disappointed that after I put on $1000 worth of parts I cant ride. The instructions for the ness kit suck! The material it is made out of sucks too. I called the place I ordered it from and it is not covered under warranty. I called arlen ness and they said it isnt covered either. I asked to talk to a manager and the girl i was talking to at dennis kirk said she was the manager (imagine that) Guess Ill be forking out 50 more bucks for a replacement pos backing plate. Looks like you could snap it in half with two fingers. Next time Ill make sure that I invest in some better parts that are made in the USA!

Last edited by aleisha79; 04-08-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Ness Big Sucker Back Plate Cracked-Help!