Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fatboy Lo 103 and Vance & Hines 2 into 2 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM
liljoejoe54
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fatboy Lo 103 and Vance & Hines 2 into 2 exhaust

When I get my 2012 Fatboy Lo this summer, I was thinking of putting on a new exhaust because I dont like how the stock exhaust wraps around the passenger foot peg. It seems like a problem waiting to happen. I saw the Vance and Hines Big Black Radius 2 into 2 exhaust system and really like them. I keep reading about adding a fuel pack and getting a dyno tune after installing the exhaust. Is that really necessary or can I just do an exhaust swap and be done with it? Im good with my hands and know how to spin a wrench so im sure I can do the install myself to save money so if I dont have to take it to the dealership for any tuning, then im all for it. Also, what is this stage 1 I keep reading about? Im sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I honestly have no clue when it comes to bikes. Ive been a car guy and have worked on cars my whole life but never touched a bike before. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuelpack you will not be able to tune on the dyno. V&H does not tell anyone about there settings.

Originally Posted by liljoejoe54
When I get my 2012 Fatboy Lo this summer, I was thinking of putting on a new exhaust because I dont like how the stock exhaust wraps around the passenger foot peg. It seems like a problem waiting to happen. I saw the Vance and Hines Big Black Radius 2 into 2 exhaust system and really like them. I keep reading about adding a fuel pack and getting a dyno tune after installing the exhaust. Is that really necessary or can I just do an exhaust swap and be done with it? Im good with my hands and know how to spin a wrench so im sure I can do the install myself to save money so if I dont have to take it to the dealership for any tuning, then im all for it. Also, what is this stage 1 I keep reading about? Im sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I honestly have no clue when it comes to bikes. Ive been a car guy and have worked on cars my whole life but never touched a bike before. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The Stage I is - (i) high-flow intake (air cleaner or AC), (ii) higher flowing exhaust (could be full system or 'slip on' mufflers) and (iii) fuel management system that increases the fuel or enriches the air fuel ratio (AFR). The latter can also be accomplished by means of downloading a new 'map' onto the stock electronic control module (ECM) by the dealership service department.

Alternatives abound for all three areas of the Stage I. With respect to the fuel management piece, there is a lot of technical help on here and some other online forums for TTS Mastertune. TTS used to manufacture the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) ... and since the relationship with H-D was terminated a couple of years ago, they continue to service the aftermarket ....

There is a new system called PowerVision, one from Cobra that's been around a while, and another popular alternative is ThunderMax w/ AutoTune ... I'm using the TMAT.

The EFI systems that feature AutoTune systems are a good alternative as one can pretty much dispense with a Dyno tune .... There could be some additional benefit from a dyno tune with the AT systems; but, from what I've seen it is pretty marginal and in most street applications can be dispensed with ....

Some of these systems can get kind of pricey ... but, this is one area where you get what you pay for ....

As a general rule, if you just fit pipes ... it is not necessary to adjust the EFI map ....

When both A/C and pipes are replaced, most reputable individuals will strongly recommend an adjustment to the EFI map as you are introducing more airflow ... if you don't add more fuel the motor will run leaner (and therefore hotter) ...

Many owners add a fuel enriching device even with a stock motor since EPA dictates the MoCo to send the bikes to the showroom floor in a rather lean configuration ....

Good luck with your decision and welcome aboard ....

R/
'Chop

Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 PM
liljoejoe54
Tourer

Originally Posted by DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
The fuelpack you will not be able to tune on the dyno. V&H does not tell anyone about there settings.
Thanks for your reply. Do I need either or fuel pack or a dyno tune after installing a different exhaust or can I just install the exhaust and not worry about anything?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 PM
liljoejoe54
Tourer

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
The Stage I is - (i) high-flow intake (air cleaner or AC), (ii) higher flowing exhaust (could be full system or 'slip on' mufflers) and (iii) fuel management system that increases the fuel or enriches the air fuel ratio (AFR). The latter can also be accomplished by means of downloading a new 'map' onto the stock electronic control module (ECM) by the dealership service department.

Alternatives abound for all three areas of the Stage I. With respect to the fuel management piece, there is a lot of technical help on here and some other online forums for TTS Mastertune. TTS used to manufacture the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) ... and since the relationship with H-D was terminated a couple of years ago, they continue to service the aftermarket ....

There is a new system called PowerVision, one from Cobra that's been around a while, and another popular alternative is ThunderMax w/ AutoTune ... I'm using the TMAT.

The EFI systems that feature AutoTune systems are a good alternative as one can pretty much dispense with a Dyno tune .... There could be some additional benefit from a dyno tune with the AT systems; but, from what I've seen it is pretty marginal and in most street applications can be dispensed with ....

Some of these systems can get kind of pricey ... but, this is one area where you get what you pay for ....

As a general rule, if you just fit pipes ... it is not necessary to adjust the EFI map ....

When both A/C and pipes are replaced, most reputable individuals will strongly recommend an adjustment to the EFI map as you are introducing more airflow ... if you don't add more fuel the motor will run leaner (and therefore hotter) ...

Many owners add a fuel enriching device even with a stock motor since EPA dictates the MoCo to send the bikes to the showroom floor in a rather lean configuration ....

Good luck with your decision and welcome aboard ....

R/
'Chop
Thank you very much, that was extremely helpful!