Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i can't be the only one

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i can't be the only one

I am new to this although I have been riding off roadsince i was 13. My question is a sert and why is it needed. My SG06 is stock and I would like to pick up the sound some. Can anybody explain the sert fuel management dyno thing that everyone talks about. When at the dealer I really get a vague answer on it. It maybe my fault because I don't want to appear to be an idiot .... lol .... no comments please. So yeah any help on understanding this whole thing would be much aaprciated.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: i can't be the only one

From what I read basically you want to make ur mcy louder... I guess with an exhaust system.. EZ
Think of ur motor as an air pump. The new exhaust will make ur exhaust run outta the motor faster itll also lean out the motor and make it run hotter and louder!
So youll need to get more fuel into the motor to make it run right (and faster) thats the "sert or Screamin eagle race tuner" or fuel mod system (there are many). Now, when u install a fuel mod youll also need to get air into the motor faster (k+n a/c etc.) . The Dyno will fine tune the fuel mod system. Yet another expense...
So 1 thing leads to another and your fuel mpgs will definately go down. dont let anyone tell u it wont. I repeat your mpg's will go down ! Soon $4.50 per gallon ! Happy motoring! But ull have a louder mcy. Maybe $800 for the pipe, $400 for fuel mod.. $250for dyno tune.. $200 air cleaner, then ur good 2 go.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 if you just want to pick up the sound some you can just get some slip ons and you need no fuel management. Rush mufflers are supposed to be good.

If you go to True dual pipes you will need fuel management. With the sert you will get a download. You will not need a dyno tune. But you will be spending closer to $2000 for a full exhaust set up as opposed to just $300-$400 for slip ons.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SERT=Screaming Eagle Race Tuner

Fuel management system which allows custom air/fuel settings, timing, etc.

Pipe changes, air cleaner changes, etc. alter flow and a/f ratios, causing lean/rich combustion. FM system; sert, PCIII, Fuelpak, etc. will allow you to remap fuel injection system to optimize your particular setup.

A dyno run will allow the bike to run through gears/rpm rangesin a stationary test environment, digitally connected, and view actually HP and TQ performance. Then the FM system can be tweaked to "dial in" optimal setup for your riding style.

...On the other hand, I have never actually rid'n a motorcycle, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeathere is a price to it but also 10%-20% more horsepower and torque if done right.It's worth it just to get the running temperature down.

Not sure if I agree that milage will go down, maybe a tiny bit but not that much.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 PM
cwalms
Cruiser

There is a great thread about this topic here: https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm

Thanks to Terry. Also, if you decide to get a SERT and dyno tune check out Doc's 5 questions to ask your tuner located here: https://www.hdforums.com/m_3162234/tm.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
quackhead
Road Master

ORIGINAL: NICK56

So 1 thing leads to another and your fuel mpgs will definately go down. dont let anyone tell u it wont. I repeat your mpg's will go down ! Soon $4.50 per gallon ! Happy motoring! But ull have a louder mcy. Maybe $800 for the pipe, $400 for fuel mod.. $250for dyno tune.. $200 air cleaner, then ur good 2 go.
i just installed SERT and had it dyno tuned last week. on saturday i rode 320 miles and got 39mpg with 20mph winds. it feels like it pulls alot harder on roll ons so i am vary happy with my mpg...thinking it mite even got little higher without the major winds.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

i absolultly love this forum .... thanks to all very helpful

Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
ZPA
Advanced

Big Harley Secret: 07 and later models are have such sofisticated systems that they can compensate up to 30% in either direction for various exhaust systems.

Translation: You don't have to do a damned thing when you change exhausts. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

I suppose you might get a couple of more horse power or technically it might breathe a little better if you put a tuner on or get a dyno done. But is it worth the expense??? You're going to spend hundreds of dollars in parts, hundreds of dollars on service, and loose about 40 miles on a tank of gas,.......and for what??

You'll be able to get to 60mph a second faster.
You're top speed (at which you'll never ride if you have a brain) will go up by about 10mph.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need to add anything, including a different aircleaner. If your dealer is telling you it is necessary, he either doesn't know or he just wants to sell you other parts and charge you big fees.

This is the truth. I've been running my Road King Custom since last September with a full bassani system. (no tuner, same air cleaner, not dyno). It runs great, sounds great, has all the power I'll ever use, and my gas mileage is the same as stock.

Be smart and spend your money on something that is necessary.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

one prob zpa .... i got an 06 ....

Quick Reply: i can't be the only one