Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

103 Stg IV 10.5:1 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Again, 10.5 to 1 C/R ? .....better invest in octane booster. It won't be an option....it will be a fk'n NECESSITY out in BFE with only 87 octane fuel available, 200 miles from home.

~Joe

Old 12-03-2011, 04:29 PM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traveler
Again, 10.5 to 1 C/R ? .....better invest in octane booster. It won't be an option....it will be a fk'n NECESSITY out in BFE with only 87 octane fuel available, 200 miles from home.

~Joe
That's very funny the way you put it, but also something I never thought of hummm, very good food for thought...

Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,509 Posts

You don't have to worry about the 10.5:1 advertised CR for the Stage IV kit. Firstly because you won't really know what the static CR is until you mock up and measure; secondly because that kit includes the 259E cams and the intake closes at 47* which sets corrected, or dynamic, CR about 9.3 and CCR about 190psi; reasonable ranges for a dependable build. Corrected compression is the controlling data point; static is what it is but the engine sees corrected CR when operating. I have friends that run 11:1 without issues but they keep the dynamic CR in check with cams that have a late intake close. If cranking is an issue, compression releases will adress any issues there. Compression releases would be a good idea with the Stage IV package; heat soaked restart kickbacks in the summer heat can be nasty and damaging.

The photo of the SE Stage IV kit in the SE catalog doesn't match the description; the photo is wrong. The heads, as described, are PN16500013A and not that bad out of the box. They are available for purchase on an exchange basis which should bring the price of the Stage IV kit down about $350. I believe the pistons are PN22144-08B.

The Stage IV kit is different from last year's offering and much improved IMHO. The components seem to be complimentary and the package should make decent power. I, for one, would be very interested to hear how it turns out should you go with the Stage IV upgrade; I haven't seen any results from that package yet.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:54 PM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djl
You don't have to worry about the 10.5:1 advertised CR for the Stage IV kit. Firstly because you won't really know what the static CR is until you mock up and measure; secondly because that kit includes the 259E cams and the intake closes at 47* which sets corrected, or dynamic, CR about 9.3 and CCR about 190psi; reasonable ranges for a dependable build. Corrected compression is the controlling data point; static is what it is but the engine sees corrected CR when operating. I have friends that run 11:1 without issues but they keep the dynamic CR in check with cams that have a late intake close. If cranking is an issue, compression releases will adress any issues there. Compression releases would be a good idea with the Stage IV package; heat soaked restart kickbacks in the summer heat can be nasty and damaging.

The photo of the SE Stage IV kit in the SE catalog doesn't match the description; the photo is wrong. The heads, as described, are PN16500013A and not that bad out of the box. They are available for purchase on an exchange basis which should bring the price of the Stage IV kit down about $350. I believe the pistons are PN22144-08B.

The Stage IV kit is different from last year's offering and much improved IMHO. The components seem to be complimentary and the package should make decent power. I, for one, would be very interested to hear how it turns out should you go with the Stage IV upgrade; I haven't seen any results from that package yet.
Good info, but thats not the first time iv'e heard about the part numbers being wrong, how do I get this info to ensure that Im getting the right parts, because the catalogue has 1 number for the whole kit?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320str8_liner
Good info, but thats not the first time iv'e heard about the part numbers being wrong, how do I get this info to ensure that Im getting the right parts, because the catalogue has 1 number for the whole kit?
Read the info in the description and when the parts arrive(they will all be boxed with their own part numbers) make sure they match that description using the piston matrix in the catalog. For ex the matrix chart will say using Factory CNC ported heads compression will be 10.5 using xxxxxx-02b pistons, make sure thats what you get. I am running a SE stage 4 of sorts using 10.5 pistons for the heads utilized, .030 hg's and cams with 42 degrees intake close and I am around 195 ccp(can't remember how far down the pistons are but they are down the hole a little, .008 maybe can't remember exactly), no issues with fuel.