Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How to get melted plastic off chrome pipes???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Swampcruiser
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get melted plastic off chrome pipes???

Help! My girlfriends plastic zipper from her riding boots melted against my Python chrome pipes. Brownish goo is now stuck to my pipes...about the size of a silver dollar.

Anyone know how I can get it off?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Let the pipes get warm. Spray easy off oven cleaner on a rag away from the bike and wipe the pipes. It should come right off. Don't get easy off on the easy off any other part of the bike. It will eat paint and such.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer

I have had good luck getting stuff off pipes using WD-40 and some super fine (000 or 0000) steel wool. I spray the steel wool liberally with WD-40 first and then rub gently until whatever you are trying to get off comes off. Works good for boot rubber and I also used it to remove my Frogg Toggs that got melted on.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Let the pipes get warm. Spray easy off oven cleaner on a rag away from the bike and wipe the pipes. It should come right off. Don't get easy off on the easy off any other part of the bike. It will eat paint and such.
+1, for sure. I'll spray easy off liberally on a shop rag, and lay that over the warm exhaust. The shop rag will keep the oven cleaner on the pipes while it is doing it's magic.

Blue Job chrome polish to finish the cleanup, and your heat shields will look like new.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how thick the plastic is, but sometimes you can use a kitchen dish scrub sponge and take it off (Mind you not an abrasive sandpaper type sponge or pad) more like a nylon or plastic type scrub, one that will not leave fine scratches on the chrome. Light stuff you can usually use a polish to remove some plastic (had some rain pant pieces left behind on a pipe after a rain storm, and that was all it took). if the plastic and pipe is cooled off it may simply wipe off if you have previously applied polish.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
MDMYMD
Road Captain

Same thing happened to me before. Just let the pipes get hot and just literally scraped it right off with the wood sole of my boot. Couldn't even tell something was there. They were Pythons at the time as well.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 PM
dlind
Stage II

The best thing you can use to get plastic or rubber off your pipes from being melted is a MAGIC ERASER. just wet it and rub off the melted mess. You do not have to heat it you do not have to warm it. Just wet the sponge like magic eraser and rub it off. It will not harm the chrome finish if you do not use it all the time but for an occasional spot it is the best. I am a Harley owner. Not a magic eraser spoke person IT WORKS. DO NOT USE ON PAINTED SURFACE. IT WILL TAKE THE SHINE OFF.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Ultra Rev
1st Gear

If it's not thick the Mr Clean Magic Eraser works great. If it's stuck on thick go for a nice ride and let the pipes get HOT. The goop will be soft and you'll be able to get the majority of it off with a damp cloth. Not dripping wet, just damp. Wearing gloves will help... don't ask me how I know.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Mountain Child
Intermediate

I havn't scratched chrome with a double edge razor blade yet.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I was gonna post that question, but the good folks here have already answered it!

Thanks, y'all, and ride safe!

Quick Reply: How to get melted plastic off chrome pipes???