Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

03' road glide cam upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
urleycay
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam tensioners

Well heres my latest report from the BIG DUMMY! like archie would have said. Sent all the gear drive stuff back w/o opening the package. It seems i did not do my homework becuase I do not have a press so I could not press in bearings or press on gears and there was no one in my small town willing to tackle the job except one new Harley mechanic who i felt was charging dealer prices. $1500.00 for gear drive install w/ S&S cams & original cam plate (summer prices he said) I changed direction and bought the Screaming Eagle cam plate w/ new oil pump, Kit, 203 cams, lifters , pushrods and doing job myself. cost so far $1300.00 w/ all the upgrades. just waiting for cams. run out at pinion It barely moved needle. I have everything ready to assemble. I did follow advice of forum readers and bought tools on e-bay which worked perfect. also spring upgrade for old oil pump. i will be selling all this stuff at less than what I paid for them. i don,t think I'll need them anymore after this job. I did watch a you tube video of gear drive set-up and I did not like the sound at all. they say new hydralic cam plate tensioners are good for 75.000 miles and thats perfect for me. I want to thank you all for advice and help.
tony

Old 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM
urleycay
Advanced
Default cam plate upgrade

Help? well I am a little stuck, nothing bad just direction. I bought the SE new camplate w/ upgraded oil pump and a set of 203 cams w/ new lifters and pushrods because of milege. i bought all the necessary hardware kits to put everything together. I have new cam bearings installed in engine and cam plate and I have cams installed in cam plate along w/bearing retainer plate, chain and new cam tensioner. cams are installed in cam plate and timing marks right on! when you do this upgrade with hardware kits i also got 6 sets of instructions. a couple of things are bothering me . Instructions " SE Billet cam Support Plate" it saids an o-ring #11290 should be installed over splined shaft of rear cam. It shows o-ring wedged in w/ spacer. Yet i never received this o-ring.
There is another picture of a washer over front cam w/ snap ring. when I took apart original set-up there was no washer behind snap ring and i don't have any instructions to ad one.
I have cam plate mounted ( not torqued down) and was gonna now put on gears for rear cam and crank and bolt them up to see if I need a differant spacer for cam gear. I'll start w/ smallest and then measure between gears f/ level. this is all I have left to do besides install new tensioner.
any other suggestions or ideas?
thanks tony

Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by urleycay
a couple of things are bothering me . Instructions " SE Billet cam Support Plate" it saids an o-ring #11290 should be installed over splined shaft of rear cam. It shows o-ring wedged in w/ spacer. Yet i never received this o-ring.
There is another picture of a washer over front cam w/ snap ring. when I took apart original set-up there was no washer behind snap ring and i don't have any instructions to ad one. I have cam plate mounted ( not torqued down) and was gonna now put on gears for rear cam and crank and bolt them up to see if I need a differant spacer for cam gear. I'll start w/ smallest and then measure between gears f/ level. this is all I have left to do besides install new tensioner. any other suggestions or ideas?
thanks tony
Forget the o-ring at the rear cam; not required. You need the .100" spacer behind the snap ring on the front cam.

Make sure that the cams stay aligned and install the rear cam and pinion sprockets (no chain) to check for alignment between the two. You should have the spacer pack and will likely need the .120" or .130" for alignment.

Once aligned rotate the crank until the pinion sprocket timing mark aligns with the timing mark on the cam sprocket; now the cams are in time with each other and the crank. Remove the pinion sprocket, drop the chain on the cam sprocket and the pinion sprocket; there may be enough slack in the chain to install the pinion sprocket without removing the cam sprocket. If not remove both, hang chain and install sprockets as an assembly. Just make sure the cams and crank don't move.

It is too late now but when installing a new cam plate, I usually remove the oil pressure relief valve/spring and put a little assembly lube on it just to make sure it is free in the passage. Probably not necessary but there are voices in my head that tell me to do **** **** like that all the time.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 PM
urleycay
Advanced

djl, Thanks a bunch. the only thing is that when i took everything apart i kept the pcs as assemblys on a spare table. so that i could look at what i had originally taken out vs. the new set-up. There was no washer behind snap ring. with snap ring in place there is also no play back and forth in cam. I did finish evening out the front gears w/ spacerkit they gave me. The spacer i ended up using behind cam sprocket was a .337 that gave me .006 clearance/ I didn,t get any flat spacers w/ the se kits for my bike but I noticed things are differant for 06' and up especially f/ dynas and for older bikes 99 and down. as far as oil pump they gave me the new upgraded version but what a sob to line up. tomorrow new lifters, pushrods and covers hopefully i should be riding it in afternoon. can't wait ti get finished suppose to ride to chgo sat for my daughters sunday memorial mass. The only bad part is riding thru illinois , its so boring. Thanks again Tony

Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,521 Posts

djl, Thanks a bunch. the only thing is that when i took everything apart i kept the pcs as assemblys on a spare table. so that i could look at what i had originally taken out vs. the new set-up. There was no washer behind snap ring. with snap ring in place there is also no play back and forth in cam. I did finish evening out the front gears w/ spacerkit they gave me. The spacer i ended up using behind cam sprocket was a .337 that gave me .006 clearance/ I didn,t get any flat spacers w/ the se kits for my bike but I noticed things are differant for 06' and up especially f/ dynas and for older bikes 99 and down. as far as oil pump they gave me the new upgraded version but what a sob to line up. tomorrow new lifters, pushrods and covers hopefully i should be riding it in afternoon. can't wait ti get finished suppose to ride to chgo sat for my daughters sunday memorial mass. The only bad part is riding thru illinois , its so boring. Thanks again Tony
That spacer would be the .130" spacer; the .120" and .130" are the ones I have used the most. I forgot that you are using the SE Hybrid setup and not the conversion setup so you would not need the .100" spacer behind the snap ring. Glad you got it done and are ready to hit the road.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM
urleycay
Advanced

DONE , DONE, DONE !!!! Just fired up bike and took it for test drive. sounds great, runs great and great oil pressure with new pump both cold and hot more than it ever was. The motor is real quiet .I did find the problem that i was hearing. One of the cam plate bearings came loose and was spinning in its mount, now remember these are pressed in. It ate its way half way thru steal cam bearing retainer plate. so glad I upgraded everything and used all the parts form harley namely SE. One warning I ordered parts originally from American Classic motors and they were giving me a bunch of differant parts, and when i asked tech questions they said to call manufacturer. I made one big mistake, I ordered all the parts and sent them back w/o opening box becaause i wanted matching parts and tech help. They gladly take returns but watch the fine print 20% restocking fee I lost $164.00 Just a warning.
Last I want to thank all those who helped me out especially djl I had never been inside a harley motor before and I really love my bike and never plan to get rid of it. If it was not for the greta advice and help from this site i would still be struggling. the job made me get back to reading and glad i had manual and you guys. have a great day. Oh yeah one more thing i am going to be selling tools i had to buy and upgrade spring for stock oil pump that I didn,t use. I am not going to make any money and tools are MADE IN USA and I'll sent them out for whatever it costs me. I don,t want to make a dime just get some of the money back. Contact me at circleg531@centurytel.net
Thanks again everyone , Tony

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Well heres my latest report from the BIG DUMMY! like archie would have said. Sent all the gear drive stuff back w/o opening the package. It seems i did not do my homework becuase I do not have a press so I could not press in bearings or press on gears and there was no one in my small town willing to tackle the job except one new Harley mechanic who i felt was charging dealer prices. $1500.00 for gear drive install w/ S&S cams & original cam plate (summer prices he said) I changed direction and bought the Screaming Eagle cam plate w/ new oil pump, Kit, 203 cams, lifters , pushrods and doing job myself. cost so far $1300.00 w/ all the upgrades. just waiting for cams. run out at pinion It barely moved needle. I have everything ready to assemble. I did follow advice of forum readers and bought tools on e-bay which worked perfect. also spring upgrade for old oil pump. i will be selling all this stuff at less than what I paid for them. i don,t think I'll need them anymore after this job. I did watch a you tube video of gear drive set-up and I did not like the sound at all. they say new hydralic cam plate tensioners are good for 75.000 miles and thats perfect for me. I want to thank you all for advice and help.
tony

Next time you want to roll with gear driven cams, contact us as we install/time them in your plate at no charge, when purchased from us.
In the pre-06 models, we also install a Zippers oil pressure shim, at no charge as well.
Turns into a plug/play set-up.
Been that way for years here.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
urleycay
Advanced

Thats funny because you offered me the same thing when I first ran article but no one answers your phone

Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats funny because you offered me the same thing when I first ran article but no one answers your phone
Ouch.
Anyways, glad to hear the cam install went well for you, outside of the "minor" speed bumps. Now that your done, isn't nice to be able to both say you did it yourself, and to know what is going on inside that motor?