Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

A few questions about upgrades I can't find in a search....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM
ractrev
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default A few questions about upgrades I can't find in a search....

First off, I have a 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide. I didn't have much to complain about in the suspension until now my life has changed for the better and I now carry a passenger most of the time.

My bike is lowered from the factory. I want to add more travel - I am 6'1, and I do not need the lowered stance to handle the bike. My plan is to choose new rear shocks and add cartridge suspension to the front. My front forks are air assisted, and they no longer will hold pressure.

My question is this: If I purchase cartridges for the front (thinking Legend or progressive), can I buy the 'regular' versions (not lowered) and install them in my forks? I would think that by adding regular versions as well as a 'regular' length rear shock, my bike would be the height of a standard version instead of my lowered version - make sense?

Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 PM
chromelens
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can install the standard height front and rear shocks.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:31 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info. Now the decision....I have read more than I care to admit about shocks. They are almost as polarizing as oil. I am a big guy, and I want to get enough improvement so I quit thinking about maybe I should just trade bikes. The Ohlins from MM, Legends, Pro-Action, and SuperShox are all in the running for the rear. From my snowmobile days, I understand the benefits of a fully adjustable shock, so that is what I want ultimately. This is why I am leaning towards the Legends in the front over the Progressives. I know Howard has an option for the front either in the works or complete (that part is confusing), but it sounds like it is probably more money than I will convince myself to spend.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 PM
pjchamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Progressive monotubes are offered in standard height and 1" lowered, same with there rear shocks

Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I strongly recommend Ohlins rear shocks from Howard for the rear. Mrs B and I have had ours for around 6 years now and they are remarkably comfortable - we have never bottomed out with them. Up front I am currently installing Ohlins FKC101 cartridges, a sort of budget version of the more extravagant ones Howard is working on. He can supply these less expensive ones as well. They are not adjustable, but should provide a significant improvement up front - we certainly hope so!

Last edited by grbrown; 02-02-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior

I figure Howard will be on my call list. The only thing I am 100% sure of is whatever I choose will be better than what I have. I have read plenty about Howard and it is a love/hate thing it seems with people on here. I have looked a his website several times, and while I recommend a better web designer, there is a whole bunch of information for sure. I expect his front end design will be more money then what I will be willing to pay, but we will see. Otherwise I am leaning towards the Legend front end, and up in the air about the rear. Part of me wants to get both ends from the same source, but I suppose that really is not necessary.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Don't be taken in by some of the back-biting you may read - the shocks Howard sells are what matter! He has been tuning and building Ohlins shocks for us since before Ohlins themselves. He's also been building and tuning shocks for Harleys for many years before he took up Ohlins, using Penske brand, and his expertise and experience is probably second to none. He supplied my shocks and cartridges.