Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 02:59 PM
superdutyfan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble

Hello sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.
​​​​​​
I have 2000 FLHR had it for 5 yrs now no real issues. Till the other day road out to the moutians with my wife on the back and I noticed a wobble at very low speeds like pulling away from the fuel station the wobble would continue through turns and seems to stop at around 50 km/hr would it be just the frount tire out of ballance there are no defects that i can see in the frount or rear tires.

And can anyone tell me what this is in the picture I think it maybe for the "speed wobble" that these bikes are known for but do not know for sure and would it be related to my current problem.

Thanks for the help Terry

Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 PM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

That is a True-Track brace, and yes it is to stop the Wobble.
Start with maintenance items. Swing arm bearings, neck bearings, motor mounts. Since you have a brace it is probably one of those.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:37 PM
superdutyfan
6th Gear

Thanks predatornut . I will Check them tomorow

Old 07-10-2017, 06:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Your bike came stock with the dreaded 'cleve block' swingarm bearings, which are not very stable when new and may have failed. They are a composite device difficult to describe in a few words, but best dispensed with! I would start by checking them, but replace them with an aftermarket metal bushing kit. That involves disturbing the swingarm, so I recommend replacing the rear rubber mounts at rhe same time. One thing leads to another, so also replace the front mount!

In addition to the above, check tyre pressures and treads. If you tyres are old or worn badly change them both and check your wheel bearings as well. There are plenty of things that once old, worn or out of adjustment can badly affect handling!

Let us know what you find.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:28 PM
superdutyfan
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
Your bike came stock with the dreaded 'cleve block' swingarm bearings, which are not very stable when new and may have failed. They are a composite device difficult to describe in a few words, but best dispensed with! I would start by checking them, but replace them with an aftermarket metal bushing kit. That involves disturbing the swingarm, so I recommend replacing the rear rubber mounts at rhe same time. One thing leads to another, so also replace the front mount!

In addition to the above, check tyre pressures and treads. If you tyres are old or worn badly change them both and check your wheel bearings as well. There are plenty of things that once old, worn or out of adjustment can badly affect handling!

thank you I will let you know what I find out thanks for the great advice.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:05 PM
superdutyfan
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown

is this the kit you would recommend

Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

That kit will be just fine! The cleve blocks you take out will probably look nothing like the new ones shown.....