General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fly by wire throttle "slack"

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fly by wire throttle "slack"

Ever since I got my '12 S/G I can't help but feel like the fly by throttle has toooooons of slack and I can't stand it. I like the throttle tight with little slack. I use race throttle tunes on my sport bikes because I like the short throw and the crisp lack of slack. But there's no adjustment for the electronic that I can find. Or a throttle assembly that can be used that helps this.

Anyone else have an issue with this, or have a solution?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:20 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be wrong but I think you need a tuner to adjust the throttle we wire response.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Tbw

I felt my throttle had a dead spot,14SGS ,since I have an FP3 with my stage 1,I adjusted my throttle progression in settings nice improvement!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser

The throttle response is fine when riding. I'm referring to when the bike is off, and your fiddle with the slop in the throttle. It just seems too loose to me.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

TBW shouldn't have any slop in the twist what-so-ever...it's a gear/socket match so did you swap grips, or something?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser

Well, I also notice it at stops and when there isn't a load on the throttle, like hitting the cruise control and then taking your hand off and feeling the "idle" position of it.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iceman24
TBW shouldn't have any slop in the twist what-so-ever...it's a gear/socket match so did you swap grips, or something?
I got the bike used with only 2k miles. I highly, highly doubt they were changed. They look and feel stock.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

You need to have your throttle adjustment tuned to 1 to 1, there will be no slack then. Take it to a dealer or you might check with a indie but I'm not sure on this but you might have to shell out some coins to get a tuner to do this. If you do then heck, you might as well tune her up at the same time. This way you can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
You need to have your throttle adjustment tuned to 1 to 1, there will be no slack then. Take it to a dealer or you might check with a indie but I'm not sure on this but you might have to shell out some coins to get a tuner to do this. If you do then heck, you might as well tune her up at the same time. This way you can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone.
not what he's talking about. he says that in operation it's fine, only when the bike is off, or no load on the throttle, that it is 'too loose'. no amount of tuning is going to fix that. and it shouldn't be there.

the tbw controller is spring loaded, when you release, it should return to idle position. on the end of the controller is a gear that meshes with a corresponding gear on the inside of the throttle grip. there should be a constant mesh, with no slop. i think you need to start with removing your handgrip and looking at the tbw controller to make sure that it is 'tight', and then checking the condition of the gears on the end and in the grip.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skratch
not what he's talking about. he says that in operation it's fine, only when the bike is off, or no load on the throttle, that it is 'too loose'. no amount of tuning is going to fix that. and it shouldn't be there.

the tbw controller is spring loaded, when you release, it should return to idle position. on the end of the controller is a gear that meshes with a corresponding gear on the inside of the throttle grip. there should be a constant mesh, with no slop. i think you need to start with removing your handgrip and looking at the tbw controller to make sure that it is 'tight', and then checking the condition of the gears on the end and in the grip.
I'll have to check my buddies '14 he just bought last weekend and see if his has the same "slop" mine does. I put some 10in bars on a while back, but it still did it before then. If the gear on the throttle tube may be off a tooth, I can see how that would be causing my issue. But it seems to wind out on the top end no problem. If it were off a tooth, wouldn't I lose my ability to "reach" top speed? Or

Quick Reply: Fly by wire throttle "slack"