General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Group Riding Accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:45 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default Yet Another Group Riding Accident

I was out this morning with my usual Sunday morning group, we were about 12 bikes in the left lane in a nice formation on a side road towards a dealership, when one of the riders decided to break out of formation and race the group.

I was towards the front of the pack (3rd) when I heard a bike to my right, I looked over and my friend was doing about 70 I'd say, coming towards a very tight right hand bend in the road. As soon as I realized his speed I knew an accident was about to happen. He just carried on accelerating into the corner, ran out of road, fishtailed into the left lane, narrowly missed the 2 front riders, hit the median and catapolted over the bushes into the oncoming lane. His bike went through the bushes too, he slid maybe 70 ft on his front.

We did all the correct first responder things, reports from the hospital show broken right arm and hand, supposed no serious head injury despite a closed right eye and head trauma, lots of road rash. No he was not wearing a helmet. Bike is a mess.

We were all very shaken up obviously, it was a pretty horrific crash to watch. He is lucky he is not dead, nor any of the rest of the group injured or dead. His bike went between the first 2 riders and he missed them by inches. Once the initial shock had passed there was a lot of grumbling about leaving the group formation and the dangerous situation he put us in. Obviously our group will discuss safety next week and future weeks.

I'm thinking a stiff drink this evening to calm my nerves.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough that it's your friend but sounds like a ban is in order. The group I ride with that would not be tolerated and the offender would be gone. Glad everyone is alive.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is hoping your friend recovers. This caused me to have a stiff drink...

Trucky911

Old 10-12-2014, 05:55 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Glad the fool didn't take out anyone else.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I have no use for group riding.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Omg, I am so glad you are ok along with the rest of the group. Glad your friend will heal up ok. Seeing an accident like that is so scary, especially when it came so close to you and the other riders.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:15 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Based on how you wrote your posting "I looked over and my friend was doing about 70 I'd say, coming towards a very tight right hand bend in the road. As soon as I realized his speed I knew an accident was about to happen. He just carried on accelerating into the corner, ran out of road" I wonder if its possible he had an issue with the throttle.
I'd be interested to hearing what he has to say after he is released from the hospital.
Glad everyone else in the group is okay.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:15 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Watching someone hell bent on self destruction is always bizarre. One can only wonder what they are thinking.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:21 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

It's always a shame when it's a dumb move by a rider. $hit happens real fast in a pack.
He's a young guy with just a couple years riding and a recent upgrade,, Right?

I was on a run today too, 70-80 bikes for a fund raiser. I was on the outside right and broke off to block an intersection (I know-I know but I'm olde school) I was not impressed with the behavior of the back of the pack when I pulled back in. I bowed out on a right hand side turn,, 4 followed me and we enjoyed a safe ride back to the starting point.
Some guys just don't understand maintaining a position in a pack.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:26 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Based on how you wrote your posting "I looked over and my friend was doing about 70 I'd say, coming towards a very tight right hand bend in the road. As soon as I realized his speed I knew an accident was about to happen. He just carried on accelerating into the corner, ran out of road" I wonder if its possible he had an issue with the throttle.
I'd be interested to hearing what he has to say after he is released from the hospital.
Glad everyone else in the group is okay.

nope he was grinning as he passed me, but I knew a blind corner was coming, he was not aware of it because the bend is not obvious from further back. If you do the speed limit of 35mph you are fine on that road, if you're doing 70mph there's just no chance on bagger on the inside lane with 2 rows of bikes on your left. I am positive he just felt like opening the throttle.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Group Riding Accident