General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the deuce unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:23 PM
donald_5d
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the deuce unpopular?

I have been looking lately, and the best looking bike to me is the deuce. But I have been to three dealers, and seen only one deuce. Lots of softails and dynas, but just one deuce. And now I hear the deuce is being dropped. So the question is, whats wrong with the deuce? Does it handle poorly, maybe an uncomfortable ride? It just seems that such a lovely bike would be a big seller, but obviously it isn't.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why is the deuce unpopular?

The Deuce was very popular and is stillone of Harley's bestlooking bikes (although, some people didn't like the rear fender), but the softail standard with it's much lower price killed it. Dealers don't bring them in because the $2,300 you save buying the Standard, will get youa reasonable start on your customizing(pluswith the standard you get200 tire) and that has become very appealing to customers.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 PM
heritageclassic07
Cruiser

Look in the softail forum, there are more pics of deuces then the other bikes. 44 pages of duece pics..... i think i want my next bike to be a duece

Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any HD that is called lovely....deserves to be dropped.

Fact.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 AM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

Fact.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

[sm=youreright.gif][sm=exactly.gif]

Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

The Duece if a great looking bike,I almost bought one before deciding on the Nightrain.If you like the Duece thengo for it,you won't be sorry.One downside is because it's somewhat unique,there's less aftermarket stuff out there than average,but there's still more than enough out there for mods...

Old 04-24-2007, 12:40 AM
tireater
Banned

I know a guy that got a new custom deuce $53k - tried to trade it in a year later and the same dealer wanted to givehim 17k...

Old 04-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

Fact.

LMAO.... [sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sam

The Deuce was very popular and is stillone of Harley's bestlooking bikes (although, some people didn't like the rear fender), but the softail standard with it's much lower price killed it. Dealers don't bring them in because the $2,300 you save buying the Standard, will get youa reasonable start on your customizing(pluswith the standard you get200 tire) and that has become very appealing to customers.
They are also discontinueing the Softtail Standard.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:00 AM
NY Deuce
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: donald_5d

I have been looking lately, and the best looking bike to me is the deuce. But I have been to three dealers, and seen only one deuce. Lots of softails and dynas, but just one deuce. And now I hear the deuce is being dropped. So the question is, whats wrong with the deuce? Does it handle poorly, maybe an uncomfortable ride? It just seems that such a lovely bike would be a big seller, but obviously it isn't.
The Deuce is the best looking stock HD to me too, that's why I bought a first year '00 model. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. To answer your question, there is only one reason the Deuce doesn't sell well, the msrp. The base msrp on the Deuce is more than the base msrp on the Softail Standard, the Night Train, the Softail Custom and the Fat Boy! In fact, the msrp is the same for the Deuce and the Softail Deluxe!!!

This is the main reason it gets out sold by the other models. Also some people don't like the fact that the choices of accessories are more limited with the Deuce. I like to refer to this as the "except Deuce clause". But there are still lots of choices available to change and personalize your bike so don't let that stop you from getting one if you want it.

Look at it this way, you will stand out in a crowdfrom allthe other Softails on a Deuce. If the Deuce speaks to you like it did to me in August of '99 go get one before they are gone.

Quick Reply: Why is the deuce unpopular?