General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stopping the fogged up glasses in rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Scorp76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsvt184
It was 25* when I left for work this morning. I wear a handkerchief over my face on the colder rides. Problem is when I exhale my breath is directed up from under the handkerchief and fogs my glasses up when I stop or slow down. Got to try some of these solutions.

Yea, I have the same problem during the cold and now with the rain. I'll have to try a few of these tricks as well since it's been raining non-stop for 2 days.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:21 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,342 Likes on 11,167 Posts

Johnson's baby shampoo works better than a lugee on snorkel masks. But, when you snorkel you do a quick r ice in the water an stick them on. So, they stay wet inside.

I have the issue with my new Willx glasses. so, I'm gonna try the Johnsons on them. But, I suspect as soon as they dry inside, they will fog again.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 05-08-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:14 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I always use straight baby shampoo and rinse off on my scuba mask

Old 05-08-2015, 04:29 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,342 Likes on 11,167 Posts
Default More than you ever thought to ask about fog & anti fog.

More than you ever thought to ask about fog & anti fog.

Fog is created when a volume of air is no longer able to keep it's contained moisture in saturation. Warmer air can contain more moisture than colder air. So, when a volume of air's temperature is reduced below its ability to maintain the moisture in saturation, the moisture precipitates. In our case of "fog" developing on a surface such as glasses, it is because the warmer interior air (from your face) comes in contact with a cooler surface, such as the glasses. If the temperature of the surface is lower than the point of saturation of the air, water droplets (fog) will develop on the cooler surface.

There are several methods to prevent fog from forming on the surface, and include: ventilation to allow the warm moist air to escape or exchange with cooler drier air. warming the surface such as is done with car window defoggers, and surface treatments.

The following is courtesy of Wikipedia, regarding surface treatments...a.k.a. Anti-fog agents.

Anti-fog agents, also known as anti-fogging agents and treatments, are chemicals that prevent the condensation of water in the form of small droplets on a surface which resemble fog. Anti-fog treatments were first developed by NASA during Project Gemini, and are now often used on transparent glass or plastic surfaces used in optical applications, such as the lenses and mirrors found in glasses, goggles, camera lenses, and binoculars. The treatments work by minimizing surface tension, resulting in a non-scattering film of waterinstead of single droplets, an effect called wetting. Anti-fog treatments usually work either by application of a surfactant film, or by creating a hydrophilic surface.

Anti-fog agents were initially developed by NASA during the Project Gemini, for use on helmet visors. During Gemini 9A, in June 1966, Astronaut Eugene A. Cernan tested NASA's first space suit, and discovered during the space walk that his helmet visor fogged, among other issues.[1] Cernan's suit was tested using the Spacecraft 9 life support system after the flight, when it was discovered that a small patch of the visor treated with an anti-fog solution remained clear of condensation. Later Gemini flights all included the anti-fog solution, for application prior to the space walk occurring.

Anti-fog agents are usually available as spray solutions, creams and gels, and wet wipes, while more resistant coatings are often applied during complex manufacturing processes. Anti-fog additives can also be added to plastics where they exude from the inside to the surface.[4]

The following substances are used as anti-fog agents:

Surfactants that minimize the surface tension of the water:
Detergents such as shampoo, soap, or shaving cream applied as a solution and wiped off without rinsing

Hydrophilic coatings that maximize the surface energy:
Hydrophilic polymers and hydrogels:
Gelatin
Hydrophilic colloids and nanoparticles:
Titanium dioxide, becomes highly hydrophilic under UV light.
Home recipes
One method to prevent fogging is to apply a thin film of detergent, but this method is criticized because detergents are designed to be water soluble and they cause smearing.[5]Divers often use saliva,[6] which is a commonly known and effective anti-fogging agent.[7]Other home recipes exist, including the application of distilled vinegar with hot water or a mixture containing sudsy ammonia, alcohol and liquid dishwasher detergent.[8]

So, I'm going to experiment with the above in bold...

Old 05-08-2015, 04:41 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 56 Posts

I won't say there is nothing that works, but I will say I have tried a multitude of products and have never found one that works. I end up pulling my glasses down and looking over them in the rain... not fun and not really safe I guess but far better than not being able to see.

I will try some of the suggestions here in this thread tho in my ongoing search for a miracle product.