General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VICTORY ENGINES.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:54 AM
sgt joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VICTORY ENGINES.

I GOT A QUESTION.......ARE VICTORY MOTORCYCLE ENGINES MADE IN THE USA ?OR ARE THEY IMPORTED BY POLARIS FROM OVERSEAS SOMEWHERE ? I AM CURIOUS ABOUT THIS.....SEEMS THE COMPANY KEEPS COMMING UP WITH NEWER BIGGER MOTORS, BUT I DO NOT SEE TOO MANY OF THEIR BIKES AROUND...KINDA MAKES ME WONDER WHERE THEY GET THE MONEY FOR RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT ETC.......FIGGER MAYBE THEY IMPORT THE MOTORS FROM OVERSEAS POSSIBLY ...OR THEY GOT REAL DEEP POCKETS .OR MAYBE THEY ARE SELLING LOTSA BIKES AND I JUST DO NOT NOTICE THEM AROUND THIS AREA.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VICTORY ENGINES.

I think they use S&S v twins.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

They build their own motors here in the US. They're made out of recycled "Milwaukee's Finest" beer cans.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer

Don't forget that Victory is also Polaris. Polaris makes tons of $$ with quads and snow mobiles.

BTW- I love the victories. The only thing is limited dealer network and it did'nt quite fit me right.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boxjoint
BTW- I love the victories. The only thing is limited dealer network and it did'nt quite fit me right.
Same here. They still haven't come out with a decent touring bike. The Vision? Does nothing for me.

Some of the things they have come out with seem to be catching on withother manufacturers. Victory had fuel injection from day one. They came out with 1st 6 speed(stock) and the fatter tires we are starting to see on other bikes.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Vics have more American content than Harleys. And that motor has really been around since the beginning, just been bored and stroked. So their R&D for that is not as expensive as you'd think.

Supposedly even at the low volume of sales, Victory is the profitable arm of Polaris right now. So if they could actually grow their dealer network (instead of the shrinking going on now), they'd be sitting pretty.

And I have to say from personal ride experience, the Kingpin is a well put together ride. It is smooth and powerful. The bags suck on it, but there are aftermarket hard bags that fit it perfectly, as well as some gorgeous pipes from Santa Rosa.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:16 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Are their motors air cooled? If so, how are they getting them by the EPA with seemingly no problem.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:18 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: King FLH
Are their motors air cooled? If so, how are they getting them by the EPA with seemingly no problem.
They are either designed better so they pollute less, or they get the exemption because they do not sell enough each year to reach the stricter controls.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if Victory is owned byPolaris directly. In any event both Victory and Polaris are owned by Bombardier. A Canadian company and one of the largest companies in the world (think GE, GM, J&J sizing maybe bigger than any of those). They are into just about everything and have very deep pockets. The bikes have been around awhile but only fairly recently have they made a big push for market share. It may take a while but they are going about it the right way. They build a great product.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:13 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ken thompson
Not sure if Victory is owned byPolaris directly. In any event both Victory and Polaris are owned by Bombardier. A Canadian company and one of the largest companies in the world (think GE, GM, J&J sizing maybe bigger than any of those). They are into just about everything and have very deep pockets. The bikes have been around awhile but only fairly recently have they made a big push for market share. It may take a while but they are going about it the right way. They build a great product.
I don't think Bombardier owns Polaris, unless they recently picked them up. Bombardier ALMOST got the remnants of Henderson, but the elder Hanlon f***ed that up.

Polaris does own Victory, but it is one of those 'wholly owned subsidiary' things that they could spin it off completely at any time. I think Polaris still has 25% stake in KTM as well.

Quick Reply: VICTORY ENGINES.