General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson vs Suzuki Highway 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,346 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
That is correct, and as I said, put the blame where it belongs. And that is with whoever crossed the line. Regardless of attire.
I think two issues are getting combined into one here. Yes, whoever crossed the line is clearly to blame. However, regardless of who is to blame, adequate equipment to protect oneself against such errors is in line too. You can still be right and permanently injured or dead.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:42 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
I think two issues are getting combined into one here. Yes, whoever crossed the line is clearly to blame. However, regardless of who is to blame, adequate equipment to protect oneself against such errors is in line too. You can still be right and permanently injured or dead.

This is what I've been trying to say. I have never denied the fact that you could be right and dead, or wrong and alive.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:21 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Take it a little further it's not just whether or not your tires cross the center line. It's if any part of your bike or you cross the double yellow. A few years back a local rider with a promising racing career and a family man had his helmet over the double yellow, farmer John coming the other way never crossed the line, but was so tight to it that his front fender connected with the riders head.

The center line is a death zone. Even when riding spirited leave enough traction in reserve to let you correct your line in a turn.
Changing your line when you're hard into a turn is a good thing to practice regardless of what you ride, because someday you might really have to.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Maybe you need to try a different full face? Not saying that a full face is the best thing out there, because I don't wear one, just wondering if yours want quite right for you?
Good point. When I was first shopping for gear, a good friend (who survived 10 years of commuting on a bike in Los Angeles) advised me to wear a FF helmet because "a man without a lower jaw can't help looking stupid." I took his advice on that and also not being the guy with a $600 jacket and a $100 hat...point being, if you spring for a really high-quality FF helmet, many of the perceived disadvantages can be greatly reduced.

I have an Arai...good peripheral vision, not too heavy, good ventilation and temperature control, no trouble seeing the speedometer, etc.

I am not saying that everyone has to wear ATGATT...we all have to choose what level of risk we are willing to accept. That said, for my part, I think it only makes sense to suit up and give oneself the best possible chance of surviving an accident unmaimed. To be sure there are no guarantees; it's just a matter of improving the odds.

Ride safe, all.

Last edited by Hraefn; 06-27-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:24 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
But Jax wore Vans and he never got hurt when he crashed.
uh, did you see the last episode?