General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just took an ERC class. Some observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Even Big Bikes Can Feel Great

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
I agree with this. I cringe when I see a brand new rider in a clamshell position with apes and forward controls.

Now I have no problem with proper rake and some fashion over form if you have some experience riding and a grasp on how to make a bike really do what you want.

I see guys starting on street glides, or wide glides which I am sure are great bikes. But I kind of feel sorry for them that they don't know what a light bike can be like.

Well said. You feel the same way I do about wanting to help other Harley riders understand just how great ANY bike can be IF it has a seat/bars/peg setup which gives you PERFECT balance like a cat.

What I have observed is that even the big heavy rigs can be improved dramatically IF THEY ARE SET UP ESPECIALLY FOR THEIR OWNER.

The major police departments have this all figured out for their officers already as they prefer them not be killed due to loss of control.

Here's what THEY do for the most part:

THEY INSIST THEIR OFFICERS BE THE RIGHT SIZE TO RIDE A HARLEY POLICE BIKE SETUP.

THEN they purchase a standard POLICE HARLEY. With the SEAT in the right place. The BARS in the right place, The FLOORBOARDS or FOOTPEGS in the right place. For a guy six feet tall.

And you know what? These bikes drive as naturally as the highly rated Triumph Bonneville. IF you are six feet tall.

Now. If YOU are not the size of a mounted cop you can still get way better road control and comfort than STOCK. Especially on a badly out of balance clumsy feeling big rig.

NOTHING should deter the purchase of the bike of your dreams EVEN if STOCK it doesn't fit you YET.

But you have to try out ideas that place your arms, seat and feet in a BALANCED position so that you can FEEL every move your bike makes LIKE A CAT.

In my case I LEARNED how to ride on an FLH Duo-Glide way back in 1965. It was my first bike and it fit me perfectly because back then Harleys were MADE to fit a guy about six feet tall. Which I AM.

It was only after I got into mid 60s XLCH Ironhead Sportsters with the FLAT seat and wide bars that things started to feel weird. Too narrow. Too high. Bars too wide. Spooky feeling loss of control compared to the earlier K bikes with the sprung saddle.

And then out came the Superglide with the boat tail. Which I almost fell off because the "custom" seat was mounted nose UP.

Ever since then I have simply said NO to the stock riding position offered by MOST motorcycle manufacturers. And that included re-doing a TON of bikes to get the most out of them.

Like I said, I am NOT a great rider. But I LOOK like I can really ride great because my BIKES make me look good, haha.

Some of us need all the help we can get. And that goes DOUBLE now that I am pushing 70 years of feeble old age.

Ain't gonna stop this old geezer from riding the beautiful bikes you can buy these days. But it does take a while to get them sorted.

After that---I STILL don't scare Ducatis when I am out wrestling my big old Deuce around corners.

But for an old geezer on a pretty big bike, I move along quite smartly.

And that, my friends is WHY I ride. For how great it FEELS to have a big Harley UNDER me.

I know some of you are much better riders than others. And can tolerate a lot of discomfort and weird balance issues etc etc better than most. Especially if it LOOKS good.

Good for YOU.

I am trying to speak to riders who really want to know what is so great about the "King of the Road" feeling that made Harley famous.

My big heavy hog is now so well balanced for my size rider that it practically drives itself. Like I said, it is just as natural as my Triumph Bonneville. Just heavier.

And THAT along with ERC and practicing in parking lots is WHY I am still upright and breathing after all these years, IMHO. YMMV.

Let the flames begin.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,470 Likes on 5,664 Posts

Some good points about "fit" above. I went from a Lowrider with forward controls to my Fatboy. I was amazed at how much better I can control the Fatboy. Yes, I'll drag the floorboards if I get to aggressive, but I don't need to ride that way. The added weight can be a bit of a PITA backing out of spots, but for the most part, its like moving up to a full size Cadillac.

I'm looking forward to taking the ERC. As someone else mentioned, I really cut my teeth on dual-sports. It's amazing how one of those will sharpen your skills if you use them as designed.

Every time I think I'm a decent rider, I just have to watch one of those police rodeos and see what those motor officers do with their RKs. Wow, just wow.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:40 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I took the advanced course about two months ago. It's always good to pick up a few tips no matter what experience you have.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,401 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Sure wish more riders took an ARC...

See that avatar pic? That would be one of the exercises, (decreasing radius turn) AKA The Spiral.

It's lots of fun too.

Sometimes I'm the student, sometimes, I'm the coach...

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 12-31-2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Yup, I did!