Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A grin from ear to ear

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default A grin from ear to ear

I have been riding for years. Met a really nice woman and ended up marrying her back in Jul. She really enjoys riding (passenger) and we have often talked of her getting her own bike. So, one day recently we were at the dealer and she fell in love with a Dyna Superglide because the color (lol). We end up buying the bike for her, which of course put her on the spot to learn how to ride. Enrolled her into the Rider's Edge course...she does fine on the written; but, the riding kicked her butt. Build up of nervousness and the instructor does not know how to deal with it. Ultimately, she comes to a stop and ends up loosing balance and drops the bike. Instructor tells her to come back for the hands on when she get some one on one instruction. Shoot, that is what I thought the basic course was for...lol. Anyway, we take the dyna out and she is stuck trying to get going (feet up and rolling), keeps tensing up and hitting the brake...never gets the feet of the ground. I tell her to run it through her mind and see herself riding. Today, she took off and was riding this big parking lot with a smile that was priceless.:icon_droo l:

Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
scooby doo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear. My wife picked up an iron this year and is a pretty nervous person to begin with. Made it through the course with little problems but was still a little nervous on the road (mostly afraid of the cages). Anyways, went on a week long ride this past summer, all conditions, hwy, moutains (BRPW) and crazy rain. Now she's full of confidence and loves it.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:21 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Awesome. I hope she keeps after it so she can see why we enjoy it so much.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:50 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Often for beginners it is better to take a course where the course provides the bikes, which are usually much smaller than a Harley. Makes it easier for the rider to learn, and develop confidence that they can then transfer to their own bike. Learning for the first time on a brand new 600 pounder can be pretty intimidating.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:53 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may soon have a choice of bikes from which to choose for your outings.