General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Behavioural Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGerman
Hi folks,

Quick question. If you have a fellow rider in front of you and he moves to the very left of the lane on a straight road, is that an invitation to close up and ride a couple of miles together? If so, would you stay staggered or ride parallel? I'm usually fine with either, especially on these wide and straight roads.
Its just a nice feeling to share a ride together.

Thanks,
Alex
Standard staggered formation-especially since you don't the intention or skill level of each other.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:36 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadoftheBeast
If somebody happens to get behind me while riding solo, I have no problem with them falling into a staggered position behind me until one of us speeds up or turns off. I do have an issue with random people trying to share a lane with me.

Falling in behind a group, especially a club in colors, is a different story.

I will fall in staggered if I catch up with an individual or a group, but distance myself a bit more than if I was part of a group. I did have one guy change from riding the line to riding in the middle of his lane, so took that as objection to my positioning (I was probably further back than most cars follow him), so I backed off a bit more. Under no circumstances would I ride side-by-side with a stranger!

Old 07-02-2015, 05:40 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Why would you ever ride right beside someone just dose not sound safe.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:28 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, ride staggered, a couple lengths back. Not an invite though. I NEVER share lanes. I don't ride with anyone else unless staggered. I can't control them, they can't control me, and poop happens, so best to give them (and me) space.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 AM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Sandy H.
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't "mean" anything but the rider is choosing to ride on the left of the lane for the moment. If a rider wanted you to pull alongside they should make some sort of hand gesture and I wouldn't trust that unless it was discussed beforehand.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Hi folks,

Quick question. If you have a fellow rider in front of you and he moves to the very left of the lane on a straight road, is that an invitation to close up and ride a couple of miles together? If so, would you stay staggered or ride parallel? I'm usually fine with either, especially on these wide and straight roads.

Thanks,
Alex
Personally, if I was riding with somebody else and all of a sudden that person changes position in the lane, first thing that I would think of is, is there something in the road in front of him that he's trying to avoid hitting or running over.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I'll ride staggered, never beside..

If they're all over the lane, I'll just fall back a bit more and go back to my usual riding position ||x _ _|

Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I do that routinely if a rider comes up behind me. I'll move over and give him an opportunity to pass, if wanted. If not, I ignore him and return to my previous position. The average width of a lane is 12'. I only take up a quarter of that.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:55 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Hi folks,

Thanks,
Alex
No.

Unless the guy is a friend of yours or someone you know, just maintain a safe riding distance just as you would if he were in a car. Do your own thing and let him do his.

Always respect your fellow riders.

Quick Reply: Behavioural Question