General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the need to post about wrecks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:18 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I like them. At worst they remind you not to get complacent. At best you may learn an avoidance strategy.
If you prefer riding in LaLa Land, don't click on them.
This is what I was thinking, and would have posted.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I agree with the OP. In this area there are about 5 to 8 deaths per year. I refuse to post them.

It is possible for an event to have some info which will contribute a learning lessons but that is rare.

The largest category of fatalities is the solo rider going off of a curve. Usually it involves speed and alcohol. So half of the fatalities have nothing new for us to learn.

Those involving left turning cars, ran stop signs, put out of lots, crossed the center line and others have been (not to make a pun) beat to death.

A experienced and committed defensive rider does not need "reminders" it is an essential part of there driving/riding 24/7.

Also, I do not nor will I ever click on those posts.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-25-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,575 Likes on 738 Posts

When scuba diving, other than the very rare shark attack, events occur slowly, nobody dives at 15 to 80 mph. Time gives the scuba diver plenty of opportunity to think things through as long as they don't panic. Motorcycles catastrophies happen at speed. Life changing events occur in the blink of an eye because of you or another driver's error, that and weather or road related conditions. Motorcycle operation requires you to put your safety and trust in others, regardless of how well prepared you are.
When you hear of scuba diving deaths the first thing you think of is, 'That would never happen if it was me!" On hearing of motorcycle accidents the first thing you think of is, 'Shoot, that could happen to me too!" Reading about or seeing motorcycle accidents reinforces the viewers need for critical alertness regardless of how squeamish they may be.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I like them. At worst they remind you not to get complacent. At best you may learn an avoidance strategy.
If you prefer riding in LaLa Land, don't click on them.
I usually dont click on them, but the titles are unavoidable. Dont ride in LaLa land either I just prefer to stay positive. Too many negative people out there.

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Well for what it is worth, there are a few on this forum that believes
in the lord God almighty, and power of prayer. Now if you crashed and got busted up would you rather us Christians not bow our heads for you, and your family, who is going to support them, and pay your bills while you mend? I do not believe that any of us on the forum rejoice over a bike wreck, but it can also remind us not to loose our fear, because once the fear is gone a person thinks that they can not be hurt, and they take chances that they shouldn't.
I believe in the almighty but I never ask for others prayers. And I dont look for sympathy. My personal relationship with him is what matters. Some will argue that just riding period is taking chances they shouldnt.

Originally Posted by kojak
"I dont buy into there are two types of bikers, ones that went down and the ones who will. Very negative thoughts. Thoughts the one does not need when they throw their leg over."
Your'e missing the point of the saying, its just a reminder **** can happen when you least expect it to any one.
I guess some of the younger riders still need to learn that lesson but at my age, enough **** already has happened. I probably should have died at least a couple of times due to my stupidity, carelessness and youthful arrogance. Was not my time.

I understand all of your points. Bottom line is, I am saying the last thing you need in your head when you go ride is negative thoughts. If you need constant reminders of your mortality, then enough **** has not happened to you yet.

Last edited by kanelakos; 07-26-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 AM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 135 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a theory as to why these threads are started.
Fear, plain and simple.
Some riders are just barely brave enough to ride, and so are more affected by accidents than others.
Those who like to read about them are often fearful as well, and others just get off on looking at gore. Like has been mentioned
I don't believe many learn from the actions of others, either. Most don't think it can happen to them.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well for what it is worth, there are a few on this forum that believes
in the lord God almighty, and power of prayer. Now if you crashed and got busted up would you rather us Christians not bow our heads for you, and your family, who is going to support them, and pay your bills while you mend? I do not believe that any of us on the forum rejoice over a bike wreck, but it can also remind us not to loose our fear, because once the fear is gone a person thinks that they can not be hurt, and they take chances that they shouldn't.

if you're riding in fear, maybe you shouldn't be on a bike.

i talked a co-worker out of getting a bike when he was talking about getting one. he would always use words like scared and fear in discussing different aspects of riding. I told him you have to ride aware, respectful of larger vehicles and have a defensive driving mentality and that if he was gonna be scared on the bike it probably wasn't for him. two days later he thanked me for telling him the truth and decided after some more thought that he wasn't gonna get a bike.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:24 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
if you're riding in fear, maybe you shouldn't be on a bike.
Yeah right I'm 56 and I have been on two wheels and a motor since
I was eight years old, and if you don't have a clue about what I meant
then you probably shouldn't be on one either

Old 07-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

<p>
Yeah right I'm 56 and I have been on two wheels and a motor since I was eight years old, and if you don't have a clue about what I meant then you probably shouldn't be on one either
</p><p>That's called respect&nbsp;and goes hand in hand with&nbsp;a cognizance of how quickly your situation can change.</p>

Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

I worked as an EMT during college so it doesn't startle me. I have seen the results of numerous wrecks in person, both autos and bikes. I have seen riders without heads and traumatic amputations caused by colliding with guardrails. I saw enough of it that I am desensitized to stories or coming across a wreck. Most of the crazy stuff happened at night or in the evenings, especially weekends. It doesn't give me pause but does give me an appreciation that it is an activity best approached with a healthy dose of respect. Alcohol was usually involved in most of the gory stuff, but not always. Usually blood sample is taken at the scene of the fatality and more often than not it's over BAC limits.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
<p></p><p>That's called respect&nbsp;and goes hand in hand with&nbsp;a cognizance of how quickly your situation can change.</p>
You sir have hit the nail right square dab on the head and sunk it to the hilt.