General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick detach locks needed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I have a removable RK Tour Pak i use on my long road trips, i use one of these locks to secure it to the bike...acts as a deterent for sure, always keep in my bags and sometimes I use it when I get to a place where it might be warrented...it works great......no need for the HD quick release locks, I think this lock is much more of a deterrent to thieves then not seeing the tour Pak locked and they then get pissed off and do other damage to my bike.
Sometimes i use it to lock my passenger backrest...why not it's in the bag.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:34 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,708 Likes on 2,689 Posts

I usually used the quick detach and stored anything removable in the hotel room when touring. I have used spare cable locks from gun purchases to secure things to the bike on occasion. I keep three of them on the bike.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

If I had spent the money for a tourpack, damn sure it would be locked onto the bike somehow.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:43 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

There was just a thread a couple weeks ago about a guy getting something lifted off of his bike.

My advice: If it's quick detachable, lock it up. Brukus sells an outstanding solution.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:38 PM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for all the info / advice

Originally Posted by Next In Line
I don't think that the bike thief will leave your tour pack behind when they take the rest of the bike if you don't lock the detachable accessories.
This is funny....also the least of my worries. Insurance will be worth covering the bike and parts but just the tour pak isn't worth filing a claim.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:09 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Originally Posted by PSRumors
Thanks for all the info / adviceThis is funny....also the least of my worries. Insurance will be worth covering the bike and parts but just the tour pak isn't worth filing a claim.
How cheap is a tour pak?

My comprehensive deductible is $100, and doesn't go against my policy. Why wouldn't it be worth filing a claim?

Old 10-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

My way of thinkin is if the thief wants it, it's history. Having a bad time with the ******* that need a tail light lens lately, too easy to pop off. Oh well, part of the scooter life, let the bulldog loose!

Old 10-21-2015, 05:10 PM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
How cheap is a tour pak?

My comprehensive deductible is $100, and doesn't go against my policy. Why wouldn't it be worth filing a claim?
I'm going to have about $900 in my TP. All ded are $1000 on my policy. Maybe I should revise the deductibles

Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Originally Posted by PSRumors
I'm going to have about $900 in my TP. All ded are $1000 on my policy. Maybe I should revise the deductibles
Jesus - I've heard of people having $1000 deductibles. My comp deductible is $100, and collision $250. Definitely look at those.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
I don't think that the bike thief will leave your tour pack behind when they take the rest of the bike if you don't lock the detachable accessories.

There is different level of thieves out there. A lot of the pos punks are looking for a quick way to get money so they want the easy non locked parts. A few buddies and I went to a rally out in the WI boonies. They thought it was a "good area" to leave a bikes accessories unlocked overnight. WRONG. They came out in the morning to missing saddlebags, tourpaks and other misc stuff. I take no chances cause Ive had **** broken into and stolen. My bike was locked down and the tp was in the hotel room. Nothing missing from my bike.

Quick Reply: Quick detach locks needed?