General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non-std size battery setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:44 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I needed the Lithium for the 720 CCA to make this motor turn over. If it wasnt a Dyna sized battery slot I would have a lot more options and would have stuck to traditional type battery.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:57 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Weight savings on a 600+ pound bike doesn't make much sense, but the cca needs do.

I use the Shorai batteries in my dirt bikes where weight is important.

When and if my GSA battery dies, it'll get a Shorai too.

This type of battery is the future.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:52 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 151 Posts

Ok guys, I don't see how these Li-Ion batteries work with the stock charging system. We've all seen in the news the burning laptops, cell phones, hover-boards and even the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner had problems with overheating and fire.

I don't see how you can just plop a Li-Ion into our HD and not run into problems with the stock charging system.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:42 PM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
Ok guys, I don't see how these Li-Ion batteries work with the stock charging system. We've all seen in the news the burning laptops, cell phones, hover-boards and even the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner had problems with overheating and fire.

I don't see how you can just plop a Li-Ion into our HD and not run into problems with the stock charging system.
I was wondering the same. You can't use a "normal" battery charger on it so how can the stock charging system be OK?

Old 03-19-2016, 03:29 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolaid
I was wondering the same. You can't use a "normal" battery charger on it so how can the stock charging system be OK?
No idea either but all I can say is the stock charging system charges it fine. The idea is to Not let it go down to a certain voltage and not to let it be charged with a higher than normal voltage. If the stock charging system is working as normal there should be no issues. I do know if you over crank on the starter the draw will certainly get that battery hot. I let mine crank maybe 5-6 revs and make an adjustment , whether its turn off one of the decompressions or turn off the enrichener.
Keep in mind my battery is an Anti Gravity battery and not just a Lithium battery , apparently there is a difference.
This is direct c/p info from antigravity site FAQ

Are there any concerns regarding these batteries?

If you are using the smallest battery possible for your bike to save weight (for example for race use a 4 cell in a 600cc bike, or an 8-cell in a 1000cc bike) you may find in 50 degree weather and below it may be sluggish initially. But with each attempt to start the battery actually warms itself from the amp discharge and gets back its full strength. If you often ride in weather below the 50s we recommend going up one or two sizes on the battery, this will give you more cranking amps to get power even if its very cold.
You can ruin the battery if you let it drain to below 10.5 volts!!! This is true of ANY battery, lead/acid or lithium. Draining a battery to this level will damage the battery cells. This is not a concern if you remember to turn off your ignition, or turn off any accessories that are not ignition switched and monitor your battery is you plan on not riding frequently. You should also make sure your vehicle does not have an “parasitic drain” or “short circuit”. A “parasitic drain” is something like an accessory that is pulling energy from the battery even though the ignition is “off” this can drain your battery below 10.5V and ruin it if you store the bike or don’t ride it to keep it charged … Sometimes a short can also be the cause of a drain on the battery though all accessories are “off”. For the best battery life you should monitor your battery and if you do not ride for a time make sure you disconnect the battery or put it on a lithium maintenance charger.
Also important is that OVER-CHARGING above 14.8V can damage Lead or Lithium batteries. For this reason older bikes should make sure their electrical system and specifically the Voltage Regulator is operating correctly or you will find yourself damaging your batteries if your bikes charging systems voltage to the battery is going above 15V.
DO NOT ABUSE the battery… These batteries express extremely high amperage and can get over-heated if you keep cranking a bike repeatedly over 7 seconds multiple times in a row. Though they are made to start your bike with fantastic results they can become over heated if you keep trying to crank a bike that just isn’t starting.

How do I charge the battery?
The Antigravity Battery comes ready to install, and start the bike/vehicle. We do offer a specific “smart” Lithium battery chargers that are specifically for charging Lifepo4 Lithium batteries. We have a 4-amp and an 8-amp charger as well as 2 Optimate Chargers. All will charge the battery to its intended peak voltage and will shut off when the battery is charged.
You should NOT use an automobile or motorcycle charger that is specific to Lead/Acid batteries! They can cause damage to the batteries because they charge in a different way than a specific Lifepo4 Lithium Charger. They often have a Desulfinate feature or over voltage “Quick Charging” feature… both of which will damage the Antigravity Battery. Lead Acid charges in many case will overcharge a lithium battery ending up in damage which is not covered under our warranty.