General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh motorcycle jackets??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twin
1) mesh jackets are not really accepted in the Harley culture.
Respectfully, F*kc "Harley culture". I stopped caring what people think of me when I got out of high school.

2) hi viz is not the same as motoring in a black t-shirt.
Correct. Hi-viz means you're easier to see than a pavement-black T-shirt. Funny how people will rock obnoxiously loud pipes "for safety", but dress so that they're the same color as asphalt.

3) equal or better protection is possible from other manufacturers at a lower price without the iconic "Bar and Shield".
Absolutely true.

It seems that vests, denim or leather is about all that is worn during the summer for "protection". Any thoughts?
Some people love looking like they're auditioning for the Village People. This is America and that's their right. I prefer to keep cool and safe.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:05 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I wear a Hi Viz textile/mesh jacket every time I ride. I wore for an hour coming home in 95-degree heat last week. I was warm, but I didn't perspire. I look more like Buzz Lightyear then a "typical" Harley Rider, but I'm not doing this for appearance. It's about having fun and being safe for me.
I'm also worn this jacket and temps in the upper 30s, with the thermal liners inside it. No issues.

The following users liked this post:
cajunlowrider (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 10:45 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
For those of you considering a mesh jacket, the main thing that keeps you so much cooler isn't necessarily the air flow, although that's awesome. It's the simple fact that you're in the shade.
Then you're wearing the wrong brand mesh. My Rev It! allows so much air through it feels like I'm riding in a T-shirt. I agree that shade is a factor, but the air movement is what sets my mesh apart from my other light riding jackets.

To the Op - I had no idea I wasn't being accepted into the Harley riding culture because of my jacket. All this time I thought it was my personality, when in fact, it was that damned mesh jacket! Thank you for posting this! We were just getting ready to ride to the "Wild Ones" weekend at the Harley Museum (basically a vintage car and bike gathering). I was going to wear the mesh, but screw that. I'm going to go buy some Harley brand gear and go fit in. I was getting sick of all that uncomfortable armor anyway.

So the good news is I'm going tpo have a lot of new friends. The bad news is, what the heck am I going to do with my Belstaff and Fox Creek stuff? I guess I'll try to sell it over on the BMW forum.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:49 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

The older I get the more ATGATT I get. Less testosterone I suppose. Maybe simple math.....The farther away you are from your last incident the closer you are to your next.

Shoei RT 1200 I wear a dorag undeneath for sweat control
Olympia Airglide one
Tourmaster flex pants Mostly because because they have short fat bastard size
Danner Quarry boots

Also use high tech underwear. Under Armor type stuff. I rotate two sets during trips. rinse out each night and dry during the day riding. Proper laundry facilities pop up from time to time on the road where it can be cleaned.

So between a good mesh jacket with different liner options and some good wicking fabrics underneath I feel comfortable on all but the most hot and humid environments.

As for the "culture?" Oh brother. If you ride any kind of bike, you are a brother. Unless you are an a$$hole. Then you are just an a$$hole. Life is too short for cheap wine, bad steak or talking to a$$holes.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by elky72ss454
Good grief, btw what is a real biker?
There's no such thing. "sarcasm"

Originally Posted by nevada72
Then you're wearing the wrong brand mesh. My Rev It! allows so much air through it feels like I'm riding in a T-shirt. I agree that shade is a factor, but the air movement is what sets my mesh apart from my other light riding jackets...(
No, that's what I meant when I said the airflow is awesome. It really is like riding in a t-shirt. I love all three of my mesh jackets.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:01 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

No, that's what I meant when I said the airflow is awesome. It really is like riding in a t-shirt. I love all three of my mesh jackets.
Got it. I missed that.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,532 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Back when I started riding in '69, I didn't know anyone who rode so obviously I was clueless as the "culture" of motorcycle gear.
Quite frankly, I didn't have leathers (jacket or gloves) until I bought my first H-D ('75 Sporty in October, '74)!
And on another note, it took me almost 40 years later to finally invest in heated gloves and a jacket liner!

These days, I wear what I like, what keeps me dry, warm, cool and protects me from the sun, rain, or in worse case scenario, a tumble.

I ALWAYS wear boots. I nearly always wear gloves (anything from vented up to and including leather heated).

I ALWAYS wear a helmet. Most of the time, a half-shell, but I do have a FF Mod with internal sun shield and stereo speakers.

I usually wear a jacket (ranging from a lightweight mesh up to a lined H-D leather with an additional heated jacket liner) but I do opt for a t-shirt and leather vest for short runs to the watering hole on hot days.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:00 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikeagraman
Well, as we are not in high school anymore, I don't think there is a need to put too much weight on conformity or too much weight on what the "Harley Community" accepts or doesn't accept. There are no written rules about what a Harley rider should wear or shouldn't wear. Do what you think is right for you and your family.

However, if your objective of riding a Harley is to impress others (and impressing others is what makes you happy in life), then go ***** out and wear what others think you should wear and behave how others think you should behave as a "Harley rider."
  • Go get tats and grow a beard if you think it will help you with the endeavor.
  • And don't forget about the other accessories that are necessary to complete the ensemble: a wallet chain, a Crocodile Dundee knife with an 11" blade (Ka-bars are not manly enough 'cause they only have 7" blades), a sidearm (a 9mm, a .45, or whatever makes you more manly), a pair of KD sunglasses, and a bandana.
  • Additionally, add a get back whip to your throttle grip, skull emblems to your derby cover/timer cover/air intake cover, and spikes to your grip ends, wheel axles, and foot controls.
  • Install a tall, mean looking sissy bar.
If you are just an average drinker of festive beverages, you need to work on increasing your consumption of beer, JD, tequila, and vodka. If you can't down a 750 ml bottle of JD by yourself in two hours without getting drunk, then you are not man enough. If you can't smoke two packs of cigarettes a day, you are also not man enough. Likewise, you also need to work on your manly attitude: act tough, be tough, always look at others with a sneer, be ready to get into a fist fight/knife fight/gun fight any moment (better yet, you should instigate those fights), and never act friendly to anyone except your "brothers." Just keep working at these things. With enough practice and persistence, you too will become a real Harley rider someday.
Thanks for my daily lmao!!

Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

.... I love all three of my mesh jackets.
....... Thx ID H, i was hoping i wasn't the only guy here w/ more'n one
.... use the Olympia hi-viz set (jacket/pants) for distance touring where i can't hear anyone joke about how the hi-viz clashes w/the Yellow Pearl
........... and a black/gray Joe Rocket for around town when i want to maintain the 'badass' while pulling up to the dealership or a starbux
...... actually, i haven't been to a starbucks in years, i just threw that in to sound 'badass'
Originally Posted by C2DJ
.. I picked them up for about $75 each of EBay and they were like new ...
....... i got mine for $53, shipping incl. , great deal! (& the Joe Rocket badges are sewn on, enabling easy removal )
...... love the airflow while riding. The Rocket has a velcro close @ wrist so my vented summer gloves fit right over

Old 07-09-2016, 03:39 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks!

I've gone from HJC helmets to the Neotec. It's spendy, but I plan on keeping it for a long time.

For modestly priced gear that has amazing quality, I am a total Tourmaster fan. I have two Tourmaster mesh jackets, Tourmaster boots, and Tourmaster overpants for cold weather riding. First Gear heated gear. ADVSport mesh summer pants.

First Gear spring/fall gloves, and Alpinestars mesh gloves for summer. I do have a pair of leather H-D gloves (a Christmas gift), but for the money they're junk. Fingers are stitched twisted. I normally wear a large, and in these I can't even get my fingers in a large, a 2XL is still a little too tight, and 3XL is a catcher's mitt. **** sizing.

For inexpensive gear, I do have an Xelement textile jacket. It was the first "real" jacket I bought, and I still have it, and I liked it so much I bought one for my father in law for Christmas, and it's his favorite jacket. Great venting, full sleeve wind/water proof liner, plus full sleeve quilted liner, Kevlar overlays on elbows and shoulders, plus EN-CE spec elbow and shoulder armor, and back pad. $80. Are you kidding me? The thing rocks.
without consideration bout money, whichTourmaster mesh jacket is the most satisfying to you?.
cooling effectiveness, features etc
hopefully, they don't use velcro, i hate that crap
Thx

Last edited by amkaos; 07-09-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Mesh motorcycle jackets??