General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh motorcycle jackets??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:07 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by amkaos
You're smart.. as usual i agree with you completely..
specially since I refuse to wear any branded anything,, or things with skulls and such..
I would be interested in what brands you have and care about
Thanks!

I've gone from HJC helmets to the Neotec. It's spendy, but I plan on keeping it for a long time.

For modestly priced gear that has amazing quality, I am a total Tourmaster fan. I have two Tourmaster mesh jackets, Tourmaster boots, and Tourmaster overpants for cold weather riding. First Gear heated gear. ADVSport mesh summer pants.

First Gear spring/fall gloves, and Alpinestars mesh gloves for summer. I do have a pair of leather H-D gloves (a Christmas gift), but for the money they're junk. Fingers are stitched twisted. I normally wear a large, and in these I can't even get my fingers in a large, a 2XL is still a little too tight, and 3XL is a catcher's mitt. **** sizing.

For inexpensive gear, I do have an Xelement textile jacket. It was the first "real" jacket I bought, and I still have it, and I liked it so much I bought one for my father in law for Christmas, and it's his favorite jacket. Great venting, full sleeve wind/water proof liner, plus full sleeve quilted liner, Kevlar overlays on elbows and shoulders, plus EN-CE spec elbow and shoulder armor, and back pad. $80. Are you kidding me? The thing rocks.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:16 PM
thefitzvh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comfort and how you look are important also. Doesn't matter how good the protection is, if you're not comfy and don't like the way it looks, you'll leave it at home where it ain't protecting ANYTHING

Old 07-09-2016, 12:17 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twin
Last year I purchased a Harley-Davidson hi-vis mesh jacket. I wore it twice and even though it came with body armor, I felt that the majority of the selling price was based on the HD bar and shield. I also had the impression that 1) mesh jackets are not really accepted in the Harley culture. 2) hi viz is not the same as motoring in a black t-shirt. 3) equal or better protection is possible from other manufacturers at a lower price without the iconic "Bar and Shield". It seems that vests, denim or leather is about all that is worn during the summer for "protection". Any thoughts?
Well, as we are not in high school anymore, I don't think there is a need to put too much weight on conformity or too much weight on what the "Harley Community" accepts or doesn't accept. There are no written rules about what a Harley rider should wear or shouldn't wear. Do what you think is right for you and your family.

However, if your objective of riding a Harley is to impress others (and impressing others is what makes you happy in life), then go ***** out and wear what others think you should wear and behave how others think you should behave as a "Harley rider."
  • Go get tats and grow a beard if you think it will help you with the endeavor.
  • And don't forget about the other accessories that are necessary to complete the ensemble: a wallet chain, a Crocodile Dundee knife with an 11" blade (Ka-bars are not manly enough 'cause they only have 7" blades), a sidearm (a 9mm, a .45, or whatever makes you more manly), a pair of KD sunglasses, and a bandana.
  • Additionally, add a get back whip to your throttle grip, skull emblems to your derby cover/timer cover/air intake cover, and spikes to your grip ends, wheel axles, and foot controls.
  • Install a tall, mean looking sissy bar.
If you are just an average drinker of festive beverages, you need to work on increasing your consumption of beer, JD, tequila, and vodka. If you can't down a 750 ml bottle of JD by yourself in two hours without getting drunk, then you are not man enough. If you can't smoke two packs of cigarettes a day, you are also not man enough. Likewise, you also need to work on your manly attitude: act tough, be tough, always look at others with a sneer, be ready to get into a fist fight/knife fight/gun fight any moment (better yet, you should instigate those fights), and never act friendly to anyone except your "brothers." Just keep working at these things. With enough practice and persistence, you too will become a real Harley rider someday.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:34 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I wear a Vanson Vent Max jacket when it's too hot for my perforated leather jackets. I NEVER wear just a t-shirt because I value my hide too much. I wore my Vanson through the Badlands in 2014 when it was blazing hot and nobody said dick to me and if they did I'd have welcomed it with a sharp comeback. Will any of the smart asses be with you in the intensive care unit when your getting skin grafts?

Old 07-09-2016, 01:49 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I didn't like the HD jackets mesh or leather.

For instance I thought the HD leather jackets felt cheap. So I got my leathers from Fox Creek Leather...made in the USA too boot.

Mesh for me is 2.5 season here in socal so I need a good one...went with this (it's black, wooo)

$220, crushes anything HD had at the time. I never notice the branding.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:09 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Get stung a lot so I went with a mesh jacket, after shopping around the Harley brand proved to be the best design, it was the only one i found that had velcro on the sleeves so i could close the cuffs tight to stop incoming bee's. All the other brands had zipper closure and didn't close tite enough. I have had the jacket 3 years now and now complaints

Old 07-09-2016, 04:17 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
For those of you considering a mesh jacket, the main thing that keeps you so much cooler isn't necessarily the air flow, although that's awesome. It's the simple fact that you're in the shade.

Instead of the sun beating down on your tan skin, it's hitting the jacket. And, if the jacket is hi viz, then it's not mainly black, and that's even better. Then, when you're riding without a jacket, the air flow dries your perspiration so fast you get no cooling at all, but with a mesh jacket, it wicks perspiration into the mesh, and then the air flow cools you down.

And the sun never hits your skin. There's a reason so many farm workers in the fields wear loose-fitting, long sleeved white shirts.
This is correct. On hot days I'll wear a moisture wicking shirt, such as Under Armour. I have tons from when I played baseball and I wear one a under a cotton t-shirt. I'll also wear those cooling arm sleeves. Not only only do they keep your arms from being roasted, it keeps them cooler. The arm sleeves go on and off easy so if you stop and want to remove them for whatever reason it only takes a second.

I wore this set up today in 98 degrees and it was much cooler and more comfortable than just t-shirt.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 07-09-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:24 AM
elky72ss454
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I'm a Harley rider. No, wait...I'm not. I'm a motorcyclist who loves Harley-Davidsons. Not the same thing, at all. (Btw, it's my 5th Harley.)

I have been humorously accused of looking like a BMW rider that stole a Harley.

On the other hand, and this is the absolute truth, the farther away I get from "traditional" Harley riding "apparel", the more comfortable I am when it's cold, the more comfortable I am when it's hot, the more confident I am that I'm dressing as safely as I can while still being able to thoroughly enjoy the ride, and...wait for it...the more often I ride and the longer I ride.

My current helmet is a full coverage Shoei Neotec in brilliant yellow, a high viz Tourmaster mesh jacket in neon lime green and black, and, for summer, mesh pants with knee armor and hip padding. The mesh flows so much air it's like riding in swimming trunks. Actually, since all I've got on under them is my boxers, it's more like riding in my underwear. 'cause I am. Textile jacket in bright yellow and bright white for colder weather, full armor, and windproof, waterproof, and quilted liners for really cold. Armored textile pants that fit over my jeans. And heated jacket liner and gloves for REALLY cold.

And real boots, with toe, heel, ankle, and shin protection, and breathable, waterproof liner for rain.

To each his own. The only comments I've received from "real bikers" have either been in jest, or "nice jacket".

Oops, sorry, forget these two questions:

Hell, yes.
Hell, no.
Hell, no.
Hell, yes.
Good grief, btw what is a real biker?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:55 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
I didn't like the HD jackets mesh or leather.

For instance I thought the HD leather jackets felt cheap. So I got my leathers from Fox Creek Leather...made in the USA too boot.

Mesh for me is 2.5 season here in socal so I need a good one...went with this (it's black, wooo)

$220, crushes anything HD had at the time. I never notice the branding.
Thanks for the heads up on Fox Creek I couldn't for the life of me remember their name.

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
Get stung a lot so I went with a mesh jacket, after shopping around the Harley brand proved to be the best design, it was the only one i found that had velcro on the sleeves so i could close the cuffs tight to stop incoming bee's. All the other brands had zipper closure and didn't close tite enough. I have had the jacket 3 years now and now complaints
I've got a Joe Rocket mesh I bought years ago w/velcro on the sleeves and it has moderate armor (I wouldn't use it at a race track) but at least it has some.
Maybe give them a look.

Originally Posted by elky72ss454
Good grief, btw what is a real biker?
LOL

Last edited by Tall Mike; 07-09-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:07 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Alpine Stars
Tour Master
Klim
Joe Rocket

These are just a few that make good gear, can't comment on HD never tried any..

My stuff is a mix of Alpine Stars, Joe Rocket, and Tour Master not really concerned about whats accepted by the Harley culture...As tall as I am I wear what fits and works.

Quick Reply: Mesh motorcycle jackets??