General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives for shifters - Brother lost his foot

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Alternatives for shifters - Brother lost his foot

Looking for info on alternative shifters as a friend lost his foot in a bad crash, have heard of some air shifters and various things but wanted to hear from some one who has experience or knowledge on types and alternatives.

Of course he is also considering a hand shifter with clutch lever combo but interested in options and what is available.

Bike is a CVO Breakout.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

One of my co workers is paralyzed from the waist down, he has a Tri-Glide converted to hand controls, looks like some type of electric motor that does the shifting via buttons on the left hand grip- if you are interested I could get more information from him on that control.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:46 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

With the use of a prosthetic I would think that a heal toe shifter would satisfy the need.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Pingel Speed Shift.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:27 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

B&B Bright side shifter, widow maker shifter. i talked to many people that said the pingel did not last very long. after losing my left leg i turned my shifter straight up and welded an extension on it and reach over and shift it, simple and it works for a trike. the other two ways would be my next choice.

Last edited by hardheaded; 07-20-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanuki
Of course he is also considering a hand shifter with clutch lever combo but interested in options and what is available.

I would use a hand shift and an auto clutch.

http://efmautoclutch.com/

Old 07-20-2016, 03:38 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm a left leg BKA and know many bikers with leg problems. The most popular for disabled riders are the Pingle and Kliktronic electric shifters. There is also the Widowmaker tank hand shifter that is popular. If all he is missing is his foot, he can still shift using a heel and toe shifter. That's what I use. You simply lift your leg slightly and drop it on either the front or the rear shifter depending on if you are going or if you are downshifting to stop. The Pingle, Kliktronic and the Widowmaker are probably the 3 most popular. There are a few others, but they are fewer and farther between. Personally, I don't care for the Widowmaker because your left hand is not on the bars when you shift. In a panic situation, I'd like to at least have both hands on the grips, but that's just me. No matter what, your friend needs to wait till he knows for sure what his long term abilities are after all is said and done before he jumps the gun on a shifter. No sense in dropping a grand or more on a shifter he may not even need.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:46 PM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I would use a hand shift and an auto clutch.

http://efmautoclutch.com/

Old 07-20-2016, 06:11 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

my understanding of the auto clutchs are you still need to pull the clutch in to shift. what's everyones take on that ?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:41 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
my understanding of the auto clutchs are you still need to pull the clutch in to shift. what's everyones take on that ?
Can't speak for all electric shifters, but Pingle makes a "SPEED SHIFTER" that requires nothing as far as clutch operation and you can use it on street bikes not just race bikes. The Widowmaker uses the clutch but the clutch lever is mounted right on the shift lever. With the Klicktronic you need to use the clutch normally when you first start rolling but my understanding is that you do not need to use the clutch once you get rolling. It's optional once you are rolling when shifting up or down. It shifts really fast like in milliseconds. Some shifters are air driven and those have a bottle that requires you to keep it filled with compressed air.

Quick Reply: Alternatives for shifters - Brother lost his foot