General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come the rudest people so far have been other harley riders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Not drinking and riding is the single thing that a rider can do to avoid an accident on the road, per MSF.

As another rider said on this thread, about half of rider accidents involve alcohol.

My own rule is that the beer does not come out until the bike is in the garage.

Thus, I've never understood how biker bars can exist. Riding and drinking are just too damned incompatible. And I speak as one who very much enjoys his beer, wine, and occasional single malt.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:43 AM
bigconan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
Not drinking and riding is the single thing that a rider can do to avoid an accident on the road, per MSF.

As another rider said on this thread, about half of rider accidents involve alcohol.

My own rule is that the beer does not come out until the bike is in the garage.

Thus, I've never understood how biker bars can exist. Riding and drinking are just too damned incompatible. And I speak as one who very much enjoys his beer, wine, and occasional single malt.

I don't drink at all. If at a bar, take uber to the nearest hotel and get bike in the morning. Can't risk accident or losing your license.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:44 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by bigconan
Some very experience car drives get in accidents also. It happens. Maybe that guy you're talking about lost concentration for a brief moment. who knows..
That's the scariest part of all - even he doesn't know. He woke up in the ICU with a complete 3 week blackout. Can you imagine? A lifetime of competitive experience. Having a complete knowledge of the dangers of the sport. Then not even lights out, just waking up knowing nothing. And maybe even to support your justification - he had full gear on.

But here's the thing about riding. No matter what you do, it's a calculated risk. Sure, you can have on all the gear on and die, or ride naked for a lifetime without one scratch. But let's be realistic - that's not how it goes most of the time. You are in charge of minimizing your chances of injury by, simply put, being smart.

And there are two factors you don't seem to be considering - the mechanical riding skills that you have not had time to develop and the other guy.

Riding skills - They take time to develop. Maybe you're a natural. But you still lack experience in threshold braking, counter-steering, and pretty much any other advanced skill that will play a huge part in avoiding a crash other than dumb luck.

The other guy - your self proclaimed rider awareness will not save you from the left hook. Better riders than you have been taken out by the guy who, at the last second turns left from the oncoming direction, in front of you. Sure, knowing this can happen in advance makes you pay very close attention to that guy. I have avoided crashes assuming they would turn left in front of me. But the plain truth is, had they hesitated a fraction of a second longer before turning, there's no way I could avoid the crash. There are certainly other examples of ways to get taken out. I have personally experienced someone running a stop sign at a blind intersection. Never saw him until it was too late. Flew over 100 feet and landed on my head. Wouldn't be here to type this had I not been wearing a helmet.

Which brings me to the point of - Dressing for the fall. Do I always do it? As stated - no. I was damn lucky I did the night I got hit. God watches out over babies and fools. Like I said, it's a calculated risk. I try to minimize the risk to my health by incorporating certain things into the way I ride and dress. I avoid riding at night - more drunks and even worse, more deer. I avoid riding on a daily basis to work - more times at bat = greater chance of a hit. And I have stepped up my game in the protective gear department because in many cases, it can be the difference between riding home a bent bike or riding to the hospital in an ambulance.

I'll repeat - I really, truly do wish you a lifetime of crash free riding. But you sure are testing the motorcycling God's with some of the stuff you say.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:48 AM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

First off really don't see what's wrong with cargo pants on a motorcycle? As OP said lots of pockets sometimes a bit cooler than jeans and a more roomy fit.

Now on to the tank top...I'm a gym rat also, NPC BB competitor. For me walking around in a tank top or working out in one is tacky. If you got it, you don't need to be flaunting it. While your at it you might want to count the # of really tight shirts you have and make adjustments. Most of the really big guys work out covered up and wear more modest clothing out and about. Really no grown man should be wearing a tank top in public. If your big and fit people will know that in a regular T-shirt.

Yeah some HD riders act bad to the bone and seem unfriendly don't let that change you.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (07-25-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 12:25 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by bigconan
I don't drink at all. If at a bar, take uber to the nearest hotel and get bike in the morning. Can't risk accident or losing your license.
If you "don't drink at all" how would leaving a bar cause you to lose your license?

Old 07-24-2016, 12:28 PM
bigconan
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevada72
That's the scariest part of all - even he doesn't know. He woke up in the ICU with a complete 3 week blackout. Can you imagine? A lifetime of competitive experience. Having a complete knowledge of the dangers of the sport. Then not even lights out, just waking up knowing nothing. And maybe even to support your justification - he had full gear on.

But here's the thing about riding. No matter what you do, it's a calculated risk. Sure, you can have on all the gear on and die, or ride naked for a lifetime without one scratch. But let's be realistic - that's not how it goes most of the time. You are in charge of minimizing your chances of injury by, simply put, being smart.

And there are two factors you don't seem to be considering - the mechanical riding skills that you have not had time to develop and the other guy.

Riding skills - They take time to develop. Maybe you're a natural. But you still lack experience in threshold braking, counter-steering, and pretty much any other advanced skill that will play a huge part in avoiding a crash other than dumb luck.

The other guy - your self proclaimed rider awareness will not save you from the left hook. Better riders than you have been taken out by the guy who, at the last second turns left from the oncoming direction, in front of you. Sure, knowing this can happen in advance makes you pay very close attention to that guy. I have avoided crashes assuming they would turn left in front of me. But the plain truth is, had they hesitated a fraction of a second longer before turning, there's no way I could avoid the crash. There are certainly other examples of ways to get taken out. I have personally experienced someone running a stop sign at a blind intersection. Never saw him until it was too late. Flew over 100 feet and landed on my head. Wouldn't be here to type this had I not been wearing a helmet.

Which brings me to the point of - Dressing for the fall. Do I always do it? As stated - no. I was damn lucky I did the night I got hit. God watches out over babies and fools. Like I said, it's a calculated risk. I try to minimize the risk to my health by incorporating certain things into the way I ride and dress. I avoid riding at night - more drunks and even worse, more deer. I avoid riding on a daily basis to work - more times at bat = greater chance of a hit. And I have stepped up my game in the protective gear department because in many cases, it can be the difference between riding home a bent bike or riding to the hospital in an ambulance.

I'll repeat - I really, truly do wish you a lifetime of crash free riding. But you sure are testing the motorcycling God's with some of the stuff you say.

Ok, I'm going to change my tune. Let me say, I will do everything in my ability to not get in an accident. I never drink. And am learning the skills of riding more each day...If i'm riding, and I see a guy waiting to pull out onto the main rd, I ride with 2 fingers on that brake. Cause I expect him to pull out.. I realize there are risks. there are risks with just about everything. haha

Originally Posted by HenryT
First off really don't see what's wrong with cargo pants on a motorcycle? As OP said lots of pockets sometimes a bit cooler than jeans and a more roomy fit.

Now on to the tank top...I'm a gym rat also, NPC BB competitor. For me walking around in a tank top or working out in one is tacky. If you got it, you don't need to be flaunting it. While your at it you might want to count the # of really tight shirts you have and make adjustments. Most of the really big guys work out covered up and wear more modest clothing out and about. Really no grown man should be wearing a tank top in public. If your big and fit people will know that in a regular T-shirt.

Yeah some HD riders act bad to the bone and seem unfriendly don't let that change you.

Well for me, tank tops are just cooler. Especially when it's super hot. and when in the gym, I kinda wanna see what im working. You're a bodybuilder, so you know what i'm talking about. you like to see improvements. That's hard to see in a tee shirt. I'm not talking about some white wife beater now...

Originally Posted by rjjj629
If you "don't drink at all" how would leaving a bar cause you to lose your license?

True. I normally don't drink. but if a friend or group wanted to go to one, I will go. I will drink on rare occasions. but it's not something I normally do.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-24-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Likarok
Novice

The vast majority of HD riders are not the old image of Hells Angels anymore! Most of us are friendly and love to visit about bikes in general, not just HD.

Go on a road trip somewhere and you will gain back your trust in all bikers of all categories! But your girlfriends have a point to. If you want respect at least wear a pair of jeans and boots. hahahhaa shorts and flip flops are not cool anytime. hahaha just kidding!

Old 07-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I know people who drink pop at bars, just like going out. Granted not the majority.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:38 PM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

"Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." Benjamin Franklin

I am going for a ride now, not because I have a Harley, but because that is me.
On the ride, I am going to wear what I wear, not because I have a Harley, but because that is me.
On the ride, I am going to react to other people the way I react, not because I have a Harley, but because that is me.
When the ride is over, the mind set expressed above will still hold true, because that is me.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:44 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT

Bingo. I wear a baggy long sleeve shirt or my mesh jacket. I'm 230 and about 12ish on the bodyfat. I'm 5'11" I cover up. If I'm in the gym. I use the mirrors to see how I'm growing or cutting. So I'll pull off the baggy shirt I wear to the gym too. But I have a stringer tank on. Funny. I look like a chubby old man with it on. I'll wear tank tops. But not riding.

Quick Reply: How come the rudest people so far have been other harley riders?